paypal trying to steal from me!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarthKy

Freaked Out
Reaction score
Hey guys.
I am currently having alot of trouble with paypal.
I recently sold an item on ebay and had the buyer pay into my paypal account.

I then recieved an email from paypal stating that they have put a freeze on my account because my total went over $1000!!!

They have told me to submit more documentation to prove my identity so i sent scans of my drivers license, bank accounts, Tax assesments, Police certificates,bank cards everything.
They then told me that they only accept certain documentaion and gave me a list of acceptable documentation.
I provided what i have which as far as i can see should be quite subsatially enough proof but they seem to just keep denying me and refusing to lift the freeze.
I am now in a jam because i cant send the item because i pay for courier with my paypal and i cant even offer a refund.
Has anyone else ever had this happen to them?
I get the feeling they are just trying to take my money cause when they sent the original message they said i only had 45days to resolve the issue??? :mad::mad::mad:

Have you spoke to them over the phone ?.
I'd phone them and ask them what's going on , tell them you've sent everything they've asked for and try to find out how many days you've got left in the 45 day period you apparently had and tell them to resolve the issue before the time is up.
If they don't do it fast phone again , sending emails seems to never resolve anything for me.

yea i sold a phone once and they limited the account after they paid so i couldnr get paid

i never sent phone anyway so i just stopped going paypal

and sold it on craigslist

don't even get me started with Paypal. anyway l would try and call. if you showed them the documents they asked for, then they should unfreeze your account. one word of advice though. NEVER leave that much in your balance, you are asking for trouble. this isn't the first time l have heard your story.

Yeah i will be calling them first thing tommorrow.
The thing is i was trying to save up some cash to get my next grail PF and it seemed like a good place to keep it cause i couldnt access it. well thats really true now. :(
it just seems so wierd they can just take your money and hold it I mean its my money what gives them the right how can it be legal for them to just withhold my money??
well this will be the last time i use paypal.
Is there any simmilar sites that people use that are better?

They can be a bit iffy at times.

I'm pretty certain they aren't stealing, they just have taxes and other stuff etc to cover.

taxes to cover??
Well i thought they always took a pretty decent cut anyway everytime you recieve a payment but to take your whole account funds?
You think that is alright?

Yeah i will be calling them first thing tommorrow.
The thing is i was trying to save up some cash to get my next grail PF and it seemed like a good place to keep it cause i couldnt access it. well thats really true now. :(
it just seems so wierd they can just take your money and hold it I mean its my money what gives them the right how can it be legal for them to just withhold my money??
well this will be the last time i use paypal.
Is there any simmilar sites that people use that are better?

Paypal does things that are theft in my opinion. my huge beef with them is their exchange rates are wrong.

example. l bought a PF for $400 U.S.. which was $426 CAN at the exchange rate for that day. checked with my bank and online exchange rates. when l paid, Paypal said the CAN exchange total was $446 CAN, their exchange was over charging $20. that's theft in my opinion because it's not the real exchange rate. that's the big thing l hate about them.

example two. just last week on another forum, a member said his account was frozen by Paypal because they said he was selling items and was being payed as a gift instead of goods. ( which he was). they had no proof, so they should not of been allowed to do that. Paypals excuse is he's avoiding their fees. which is bull because even paying as gift one or the other pays some fees. so l say Paypal if you don't want people abusing the gift action then remove it.:cuckoo:

Last edited:
well the way i see it is if a buyer is willing to send funds as "gift" then thats between the seller and buyer and i dont think they should have the right to freeze your account.
Im sure they make a huge ammount of money aand they treat thier customers like thieves... wtf??

I have had similar problems with PayPal. I sold stuff over $300 an PayPal froze the funds UNTIL THE BUYER LEFT POSITIVE FEEDBACK. as soon as He did my funds were available.

Last edited:
I have had similar problems with PayPal. I sold stuff over $300 an PayPal froze the funds UNTIL THE BUYER LEFT POSITIVE FEEDBACK. as soon as Hebrides my funds were available.

How can they do that?
What if you were using the funds for the sale to post the item? how an the buyer leave posative feedback BEFORE the transaction is complete????

Man paypal is worse than i thought!

Luckily I haven't had much issue with Paypal, but always fear the day when they will start f'n with me.

One reason I generally dump the money into my bank account soon after it posts to the account. Don't want them tying up my funds if I can help it.

Ebay & Paypal are one...They work together! I don't use ebay because they are worlds worse. There use to be another online payment site, but they went under. Piece of advice...Soon as your paid, take the money out ASAP or trnsfer to bank FREE! Never ever leave in there.

Ebay & Paypal are one...They work together! I don't use ebay because they are worlds worse. There use to be another online payment site, but they went under. Piece of advice...Soon as your paid, take the money out ASAP or trnsfer to bank FREE! Never ever leave in there.

:exactly: I will from now on and will only ever use paypal when it is absoloutly nessesary to do so.

I am looking into it further. I will be contacting paypal tommorow but if they be as*^&$s about it i will call ACCC and find out my rights.
The ammount of indentity documents i have provided them would be more than enough to prove my identity to get loans, open bank accounts or any other situation where one would be required to prove you identity.
They are being beyond unreasonable IMO.:mad:

The whole reason i no longer use ebay or paypal is all down to this.
I sold a load of stuff and went over the total amount , i paid for a premium format statue for £300.00 and they put a hold on the whole account including the money i sent for the statue.
So after 20 plus phone calls and sending identity proof they agreed to release the payment for the statue.
But that left hundreds in the account , and they said they can't do anything and it could take 60 days to get the money.
So i decided to refund everybody and then they had the cheek to hold the refunds for 7 days.
I had allot of angry customers , but they got there money back.
But as i faulted on the contract i still had to pay the ebay fees as the customers only wanted to use paypal.
Also they were trying to say i was a buisness , as i was selling some bits out of my collection.
When you first open an account and start selling through ebay , paypal will not release the funds until feedback is left or after 28 days no dispute has been opened.
So you are basically send the item without being paid , and then people have the cheek to say the item was not sent and they get the item and a full refund , even when tracking info was sent , they just say i did not sign for it.
I hate both of them and will never use them ever again , i was scammed out of £400.00 about 5 years ago , and these people scammed lots of people , all paypal said was we can't refund you as there was nothing in there account.
I knew i should not have tried using them again , but i will for sure never ever use3 them ever again

Jay

I am find with paypal, I been scammed 3 times on ebay over $2000, they give me back my money , I guess paypal only protect buyer not seller, I will agree to call them asap in your issue !!

Luckily I haven't had much issue with Paypal, but always fear the day when they will start f'n with me.

One reason I generally dump the money into my bank account soon after it posts to the account. Don't want them tying up my funds if I can help it.

Yup. I generally transfer after it hits 500 or so.

I haven't had any issues with Paypal. Lately I have been transfering the funds into my bank account as soon as it gets to $200-$300. I am unemployed,and have bills to pay.

Back