1/6 Pangaea 1/6 Greek General collectable figure All New pictures!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In Pangaea's defence, Achilles armour does become darker throughout the movie.
There are scenes where it's clearly much more golden, and others where it looks almost black.

But, again, Pangaea showed the prototype with the golden-brown paint apps and very few people said anything. I did. I immediately pointed out that the paint apps were wrong and looked cheap. I also pointed out that the boots were wrong and that the body didn't really fit Brad Pitt's physique. Still, I accepted all that fact and kept my pre-order since I knew I could get it repainted and customise it to bring it closer to what I wanted.

Every single person who ordered the figure was fine with getting those paint apps, boots and body. The only "surprise" was the size of the helmet once in-hand pics and reviews started showing up. And Pangaea is giving everybody who bought the figure a free new helmet.

Now they are doing a second batch with different paint apps. Good for them.
I don't see how this is so terrible and, actually, I have more faith that for their next releases they will up their game.

As long as they keep making figures I want, I will keep buying from Pangaea.

The humongo gold helmet killed it for me moreso than the coloring. A little more weathering to the existing armor would have been fine because it is a darker brown in the movie, but the helmet is much darker. Version II is closer to the mark in terms of color, but still needs quite a bit of modding IMO. I have yet to see a pic of the head sculpt that sells me even 90% on the likeness. Maybe it's better in hand, but I've figured either modding a different Pitt HS or having this one repainted and rehaired. Also I had always planned to do a body swap of some type because the ACI does not match Pitt's physique--I was figuring either the Leonidas or the TT19 knockoff with Perseus legs. Right now just need to see what happens. I've wanted Achilles and Hector for years.

The humongo gold helmet killed it for me moreso than the coloring. A little more weathering to the existing armor would have been fine because it is a darker brown in the movie, but the helmet is much darker. Version II is closer to the mark in terms of color, but still needs quite a bit of modding IMO. I have yet to see a pic of the head sculpt that sells me even 90% on the likeness. Maybe it's better in hand, but I've figured either modding a different Pitt HS or having this one repainted and rehaired. Also I had always planned to do a body swap of some type because the ACI does not match Pitt's physique--I was figuring either the Leonidas or the TT19 knockoff with Perseus legs. Right now just need to see what happens. I've wanted Achilles and Hector for years.

I'd suggest the tall CooModels body. While not as detailed and nicely painted as the ACI body, it fits BP's physique a lot better.

There's a few cliches to spout off here.

"Making a mountain out of a mole hill."

"Not seeing the forest for the trees"

"Looking a gift horse in the mouth"

People had been bugging ACI to make Achilles for a year or two, before they trotted out this off-shoot company to make Achilles. . . and now because they're doing a repaint. . . after already giving you a new, revised accessory for free. . . you want to boycott the whole company for making a repaint??

They listened to your outcry for this figure, and this is how you want to repay it? By boycotting them for making a repaint??

Embarrassing.

I really don't see why Pangea feels they need to backpedal on version II, I can see buyers being ticked, but how many of us haven't been in the same position? Hot Toys has released Terminator and Iron Man figures on top of versions I already have. sideshow did the Green with Envy Poison Ivy and the Blue Batman. And on and on. You grumble and then realize that any company has the right to maximize its profits as long as they do so ethically. Also it's not like these are commanding high prices in the secondary and you're somehow losing money. First version buyers are getting a free helmet at the very least which gives you two. The darker armor is not a big deal IMO but worst case Pangea could offer a trade-in for those who really insist. They could probably turn around and resell those parted out. Heck I'd consider picking up a parted out to do a battle damaged. The body and head sculpt are unchanged as far as I know. So really the complaining is only succeeding in keeping others away from buying and limiting the company's ability to make profits, some of which could go back into R&D to make other figs like Hector. If I were in the same boat I might be a little ticked but I certainly wouldn't be threatening to boycott a smaller company that's just going through growing pains.

I keep reading the comparison to Iron Man, and as an Iron Man completist this is VERY different. The window of Hot Toys revisiting a prior armor release is typically few years, so those who have purchased the version 1 had them sitting on their shelves on display for a long time. The gunmetal Mk 3, 4 and stealth 7 are all variants, none of which appeared on film.

Version 1 Mk 3 was released in 2009, and the version 2 hasn't even started shipping yet - 4+ years and counting
Version 1 Mk2 was released in 2009, and version 2 released in 2011 - 2 years
Version 1 Mk1 was released in 2009, and version 2 released in 2012 - 3 years

I've had the version 1 of this figure on my shelf for about 45 days, and now this company decides to take the figure and consumer feedback seriously and color the costume correctly like it should have been from day 1? Horrible.

I've had the version 1 of this figure on my shelf for about 45 days, and now this company decides to take the figure and consumer feedback seriously and color the costume correctly like it should have been from day 1? Horrible.

This.
But for others it's just a repaint. Case closed.

I didn't ask Pangaea to make this figure. When I saw them advertising the figure I jumped on the boat.
During the video reviews I red the problems regarding the color, the big helmet, the different matching color between head and body, but I still wanted the figure for various reasons:
1) I liked the movie very much
2) I am Greek and Achilles is part of my country's history, so I gather Greek heroes who interest me
and especially
3) I thought the color issue regarding the armor, clothes & helmet had to do with licensing reasons.

So I still stayed with my preorder, even before the new free helmet was announced,
I praised them publicly on FB and was happy to receive the news about the free correct helmet,
but now YES I feel tricked.
So if the Mark II happens, the same story can happen again for example with the Gladiator General.
If you buy the figure and after 20 days they come up with a Mark II version of Gladiator General
with a better hs and improved armor and weapons, then maybe you 'll see my point.

I can see it from both sides to be honest. If they release V2 i'll buy, but if they don't, they don't, and i can see it from that point of view also.

Something else for them to consider is Hector will most probably be for a more limited market, as i won't be buying version 1 Achilles, and therefore that means i won't be buying Hector as i would have nothing to go with him, and i think that will apply to others too.

I would however buy both Achilles V2 and Hector.

I think they are between a rock and a hard place.

Since I didn't buy the first version, I really hope they do make the General Mark II. Or at least somehow make one of the few General Mark II available to me.
If not, I would be perfectly happy with the first version as long as they include the smaller helmet.

I personally don't see any issue with the General Mark II release. It's no different than Hot Toys re-releasing improved Predator figures, which everyone seems to be okay with. And even though I have the original Predators and the improvements on the new Predators are significant, far more than the General Mark II's simple darker paint, I'm happy with my old Hot Toys Predators.

Predator figures are true upgrades. New sculpts etc. This is a repaint because they couldn't get the paint right.

Got a notice from my shop the figure is in stock. Need to decide in a couple days to order it or burn my deposit. Still unsure.

They won't be releasing a v2 according to their post on their FB:

We are listening! We will not release repaint versions PG02B.

Yes, 1. we are listening! That's why we only decided to redesign the new helmet and are giving it away free after we know that customers not satisfied with the final product. In my humble opinion, Its still a great figure! So, that's why we released them. 2. We recieved a lot of inquiries that many people missed out on it , so we hope to re-release them to satisfy our loyal and new customers' wants. 3. We never think the original version is not good. We painted it bronze because we supposed it should be bronze. And when we released pictures and so do final products, seems everything is Welcomed by customers except the helmet. 4. When we saw some repaints of talented customers, we started to consider if we can do more better changes if our customers would like the way of customised style. Why we not going to provide another option for different taste of different customers?! This was our only purpose of this repaint prototype showing to you all, hoping to give more happiness! Not cheating for re-purchase, or etc, etc. 5. You guys are the boss, we don't wanna making you angry! (Just trying our best, not 100% satisfaction guranteed!) We decided not to release this customised style paint to the market ! 6. We will only accept pre-order for 500 pcs worldwide with the original paint version, certainly with new helmet only! ( guess no one want the old one) because we really want to sell more (as a business)and many customers are still waiting for one of their own! Hope they would like the original version! 7. We are listening, and balancing most benefits and interests of all parties are our jobs! So, if we could do, we might release a few limited pieces of repaint version as a gift to few loyal customers and few Hong Kong customers only. (Not confirmed yet, depends on feedbacks) I think its still a good thing. Both versions are still good figures! Finally, Hope most people would be happy with this arrangement! We trying our best!

Back