Opinion: Wait or Buy 1/6 Sideshow C-3PO and R2-D2

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't listen to the fools posting here -- they're tricking you. They all have SS 3PO and SS R2.

Indeed. :)

I've no doubt HT held off on their two droids out of courtesy (so to speak) towards Sideshow. One would assume there's some production agreement between the two companies regarding releasing the same characters from the Star Wars licence, so it may be a while until the HT versions find release. And if HT figures like Vader and Chewbacca are hitting $300 (USD) now, one can only imagine what kind of price a HT C-3PO will retail for in a year (or two).

The Sideshow versions have their flaws (the flimsy feel of R2 and fragility of C3PO can't be understated), but they display brilliantly together. As museum pieces used solely for display and not for overt handling, they're great - and they fit seamlessly with the HT OT figures. If you can finagle a good price for them (R2D2 can be had for well less than retail if you look around), then they make sense in the current state of play.

A droid in the hand is worth two in the spice mines of Kessel, as they say. :wink1:

I'm waiting on the HT versions, mainly because I have plenty of other figures I want to get, so I am not in immediate need for an R2 and 3PO right now. But I could change my mind tomorrow lol

As much as I would like a more complete shelf, I've decided to wait and hope for Hot Toys versions. Been tempted many times but no purchase. May be years before we get them.

I'm in the exact same situation. And after deliberating for a couple of days, decided to go with Sideshow C-3PO someone was selling for about $150. When I contacted the seller for reservation, told me it was just being taken... grrrr...
Now I only hope HT will do a ANH version. I don't want the TFA version with red arm :(

I have both SS R2D2 and C3PO.

There is a good chance that eventually Hot Toys will make OT versions of them both and they will indeed be better.
But surely there will always be upgrades from now till the line runs it course (which will be many centuries I would imagine).

I got R2 for £110. Hot Toys is more than double that price.

So I am more than happy with my purchases. Just buy what you like. They are supposed to be fun, escapism items, not something to fret and stress over which version may or may not be an improvement.

I have the SSC duo and I really like them. The doors on R2 swing open freely and this gets annoying if you move him around, but otherwise I really like him. I did use alcohol to shine up his dome a bit, but that is all. 3PO is great. I have no issues with him, but if a shiny version comes out from SSC or HT, I may get that as well. My 2 cents...

Against my better judgement I bought the r2d2, i was in Thea same situation and wanted one to go with my OT guys. I got it my LCS for pretty cheap as it was an opened box and was able to barter a little. I understand some are saying that you look at them and don't play with them. But from what i found right off the bad is the seam Int he dome. That to me is inexcusable at this stage in the sixth scale game and what other companies are acheaving. The paint app is not all that impressive when compared to what other companies are doing. Granted i have never bough a 1/6 scale from SS. Only pls and 1/2 scales and such but stopped buying those as well because of the horrible QC and paint apps applied. I i was just not impressed with R2 by any means and it my opinion, maybe i just had my expectations to high. For me i will be waiting for the R2 and C3

I own the SS R2 and am very happy with it. In my opinion, the HT version isn't a big enough improvement to warrant dropping $200 on a dupe, essentially. But I'm holding out for the HT C3P0... I imagine the HT figure will vastly outshine the SS one.

Against my better judgement I bought the r2d2, i was in Thea same situation and wanted one to go with my OT guys. I got it my LCS for pretty cheap as it was an opened box and was able to barter a little. I understand some are saying that you look at them and don't play with them. But from what i found right off the bad is the seam Int he dome. That to me is inexcusable at this stage in the sixth scale game and what other companies are acheaving. The paint app is not all that impressive when compared to what other companies are doing. Granted i have never bough a 1/6 scale from SS. Only pls and 1/2 scales and such but stopped buying those as well because of the horrible QC and paint apps applied. I i was just not impressed with R2 by any means and it my opinion, maybe i just had my expectations to high. For me i will be waiting for the R2 and C3

Why would you buy it if you hate it? You saw it first.

Here's an example of someone who owns it -- just had to have it no matter what -- even when he knows it sucks. :lol

I sold my C-3PO and have R2 currently for sale. They look nice on display but I want diecast versions. :)

I'm happy with my SS R2 and Tamashi 3P0 as a pair... I'll get the HT R2 so I can display it with a different figure set- maybe with the HT Leia bent over inserting those damned Death Star plans. Eventually I might sell one of them and keep the better. I think it will be good to hold both in my hand and really compare.

If you like them get them.

I got em. I like em.

Will HT make them? Yea eventually. Will they be better? Prolly. Will they cost more? Hellz yeaz.

I'm happy with my SS R2 and Tamashi 3P0 as a pair... I'll get the HT R2 so I can display it with a different figure set- maybe with the HT Leia bent over inserting those damned Death Star plans. Eventually I might sell one of them and keep the better. I think it will be good to hold both in my hand and really compare.

Same setup I've got mate and I am happy. :hi5:

Same setup I've got mate and I am happy. :hi5:

yeah I have the same set up as well the tamashi 3po and SS r2. just never liked the SS 3po with all there problems. I did have the ss on preorder when they first announced it but decided to cancel it before it came out. hopefully tamashi will release there r2 then they will look great together

Why would you buy it if you hate it? You saw it first.

Here's an example of someone who owns it -- just had to have it no matter what -- even when he knows it sucks. :lol

First off i saw in through clear plastic even though it was an opened box and did not take it out when i purchased it, secondly i talked the guy down so got a great price, thirdly i needed an r2 in ciollection and fourthly last time i checked i make my own money and do not have to answer to anyone so I can spend it on a big hunk of smelly pile of Poop if i feel so inclined. I don't know why i am explaining it to you as i owe you no explanation, but there it is!!! Oh And no need to be a smart A$$ I'm simply stating my opinion, I am sorry if my actions or opinions aren't up to your standards.

Last edited:
The seam on the dome varies greatly. I actually had to get a replacement dome because the one I received and a huge black fingerprint on it it. It was bad. SSC replaced it when they saw the image. The seam was also fairly bad. The second dome had virtually no seam and I am very happy with it. I intentionally rubbed some of the weathering off to reveal the silver paint more and the dome looks metal to me.

Buy the Sideshow C-3P0 one and get the HT R2.

SSC C-3p0 has the bad thumbs and overly done 'poop' color dirt paint. The latter easily fixed. The hands = a little effort.

Back