Opinion: Wait or Buy 1/6 Sideshow C-3PO and R2-D2

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kadrik0

Just a little freaky
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a tough decision. I've been buying up the Hot Toys Original Trilogy line of figures but I'm debating on what to do on R2-D2 and C-3PO. I definitely have them budgeted and want to buy them but do I buy the Sideshow version or wait for Hot Toys? I have mixed feeling about buying Sideshow since the last few figures I've bought from them have only been a B- at best. (Nathan Drake and slightly flawed Deadpool 1/6)

I have a chance right now to get both R2-D2 and C-3PO for $370 and free shipping. I've watched the videos and they both look like solid releases even then C-3PO has had some issues with pieces falling off in shipment. R2-D2 looks the part but I keep expecting something wow like a diecast hot toys version, more metalic, or one that looks a little less dirty. I know I would love the Hot Toys version "if" they come out and that's the one I'd probably buy if both are available. Do I buy Sideshow? Should I wait till comicon to see if there are any announcements and if they still aren't on display pull the trigger on ebay? I don't really want to buy and then sell them since I can wait but I also don't want them to get rare on me and suddenly cost $100 or so more than they are now. Any opinions? With them making a Boba Fett and Obi-Wan I'm shocked we haven't got wind of a R2-D2, C-3PO, or Yoda yet. I want a ROTJ Luke too.

I'm waiting for Hot Toys personally, but if you want something now, go for the SSC ones obviously. HT hasn't even hinted at these specifically yet, so it could be awhile before they hit. But I would say we've got a 95%+ chance that they do happen.

Yes, they are worth it.

Will HT make them? Pretty good chance.
Will HT be better than SS? Pretty good chance.

If you have patience, it is always better to wait. Both droids are the most iconic droids in the franchise and it is highly likely (imho) that HT would make them.
I would presume they will do them in diecast though..so you are looking at a pretty good price hike compared to SSC versions.

I for one am happy with SSC R2. I'm waiting for 3PO to go on sale (if ever)

Wait for 3P0 from Hot Toys, but the Sideshow R2 is definitely worth picking up for the $125 you can often get it at.

Wait for 3P0 from Hot Toys, but the Sideshow R2 is definitely worth picking up for the $125 you can often get it at.

Yep. R2-D2 looks amazing. Thinkgeek had several sales before Star Wars Ep 7 came out and he was in my cart at least twice where I could almost get him for that. I just hope they copy it and trump it in the R2-D2 paint and quality. I know it will probably have lights and maybe sound. My only worry is they might not include the ROTJ Luke lightsaber for example. I sure hope they release a ROTJ version so it comes with a ton of accessories like Sideshow.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one waiting. I was beginning to think I was crazy for waiting this long. I definitely think the sideshow C-3PO and R2-D2 are solid releases and just made me question my plans.

Now if only they would release these Star Wars Figures, Doc from BTTF, Drax from Guardians, and that new Terminator Genesis T-800 skeleton I would be a happy camper. Probably only half of that is coming but my fingers are crossed. Oh well, my budget is getting slammed anyways with all these ASMUS LOTR figures, HP Star Ace figures, and the usual DC/Marvel Hot Toys. I didn't start collecting 1/6 scales till Avengers 1 came out so I have a lot to catch up ones like Aliens and LOTR figures I missed. So far the only one I really missed the boat on was Hell Boy but I got the sideshow version of him.

Yes, they are worth it.

Will HT make them? Pretty good chance.
Will HT be better than SS? Pretty good chance.
Will they be significantly more expensive? Pretty good chance, especially R2

Have fun waiting years. I will enjoy SSC C-3PO and R2 on my mostly completed ANH display.

The sideshow R2 is amazing looking, don't care if it's light/flimsy, I buy them to look at not play with :)

I couldn't pass on the SS offerings and wait out for 'what-ifs.' If you are a fan of SW OT and have other 1:6th SW these two are must haves and a no-brainer.

If you like what you see from Sideshow’s R2 and 3PO, then go ahead and get it.

HT will most likely do the duo, but who knows when that could happen. Months? Years? HT’s will definitely be better, but will most likely have some fault, no matter how small (i.e. they won’t please everyone). And HT’s will be more expensive, especially R2.

I have R2 and I think it’s great. Is it perfect? No, but it’s like 90-95% there, and you can’t beat that for the price. I would recommend going through both R2’s and 3PO’s threads thoroughly so you can see in-hand pics and everyone’s criticisms about the figures.

If you have any reservations about Sideshow’s duo, then just wait it out. There are plenty of other figures coming out that you can spend your money on!

HT will make them, without a doubt and I'm sure they'll be phenomenal. It depends on whether you like the character enough to have multiples. If the answer is no, then why bother buying SSC if you're already leaning HT? I love R2, so I bought the SSC version and I'll happily buy the HT version when it eventually comes out. I like 3PO but not a fanboy about the character so I'm fine waiting on HT there.

You should also check out the Tamashi 3P0, more expensive and a better figure than SS one imo

The question is what 3po version TFA OR O.T ? I hope they skip the force awakens red armed 3po and give us 3po classic.

I couldn't pass on the SS offerings and wait out for 'what-ifs.' If you are a fan of SW OT and have other 1:6th SW these two are must haves and a no-brainer.

:lecture HT could announce a droids release today and it'd still be a year before they ended up on the shelf. It's there's no guarantee they'd end up being that much better than the SS versions anyway.

But in buying the 3PO I'd want a seller that offered replacements, exchanges or refunds.

Back