Only God Forgives

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had high hopes for this movie. It's really disappointing to hear all these negative reviews. Guess I'll just check it out on demand.

I'm watching right now. I'm loving it, but my opinion is extremely biased because Gosling is one of my favorite actors and I love Refn's style. The movie is very surreal. That's the best way I can describe it. I can see why people don't like it though.

This movie was terrible. Story was poor and the characters were awfully written. I still can't believe I sat through the whole thing. Stay clear from this one if you can. Not worth it.

its on PPV here on my tv as well but all the negative comments. aah i was sooo excited for this movie.

Refn's is more style than story here. If you have seen Vahalla Rising you will be better prepared for this film. That being said I am still not 100% sure where I stand on this film, but I will be adding it to my blu ray collection for future viewings.

Only God Forgives is one of the best films ever made i can't wait for the blu ray.
it has the best fight scene i've ever seen and there is just as much story as there is style.

Saw this last night - cast excellent, look of the film is fantastic; this is not a movie for everyone. Not sure I liked it/loved it/hated it, but it was one to be remembered.

Refn's is more style than story here. If you have seen Vahalla Rising you will be better prepared for this film. That being said I am still not 100% sure where I stand on this film, but I will be adding it to my blu ray collection for future viewings.

Vahalla Rising is a strange but great Vikings on a trip to USA film...reminded me of a Terrance Howard type of film

I loved this movie.
but being a designer I can be easily seduced with pure visuals :lol

I loved the look of the film, but the film seemed overly pretentious and I found it pretty boring. I wanted to like, it as I love Bronson and the Pusher series. I felt underwhelmed by this far more than Drive, which I didn't like on 1st viewing either, but gave it another chance and like it now.

I saw it a couple of weeks ago, and like Rdeezy, I thought it was very nice stylistically, but it was fairly slow and pretentious in some ways. Story was clearly secondary to aesthetic concerns. The torture scene reinforces that idea, as the director seemed more focused on getting a visceral, gut response from viewers more than anything else. Which is fine, but it makes the movie feel somewhat superficial to me because of it. This guy's no David Cronenberg, but who is?

I wasn't keen on the torture scene either. It actually seemed out of character for Chang. It's very stylistic I will give you that but I don't agree this is style over substance. The substance is there it's just not in your face, you gotta work for it :)

Julian wasn't a very good fighter.

Loved the look, mood, soundtrack and long shots, but the story was meh.

I saw this a while ago, and like many others, I wish it was more like Drive. It's almost like Refn was trying so desperately to make it different, when he really didn't need too. The soundtrack and cinematography are beautiful, but the lack of story and character development make it seem like such a wasted opportunity, especially with all of the talent behind it.

As of right now I'd give it a 6/10.

He made the film he wanted to make. Have you seen his other films besides Drive? Drive is the most mainstream he's done. :lol

Last edited:
The story was just fine, I just don't think you appreciate the way it was told which is fine as well. This is a very stylistic, art house movie telling it's story through the visual rather than the dialogue. Refn is constantly evolving, wanting to make a different movie each time and like somebody else pointed out, he makes films he wants to make. I genuinely believe in years to come this will become a cult film hailed as a masterpiece but Only Time Will Tell.

Back