Official Sideshow 1/6 ANH Darth Vader PHOTO Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I give Medicom kudos for trying the flipper idea, I'm sure back then it seemed like a good way to make gloves like Vader's swappable. You live you learn, made today, I'm sure Vader would be done the way Darth Maul was.

I'm glad with how Sideshow handled Vader's hands, works really well.

I give Medicom kudos for trying the flipper idea, I'm sure back then it seemed like a good way to make gloves like Vader's swappable. You live you learn, made today, I'm sure Vader would be done the way Darth Maul was.

I'm glad with how Sideshow handled Vader's hands, works really well.

I actually take kudos away for that. The failed design concept of the paddles should've been addressed on the prototype. My guess is they just tried them with the undressed body, not taking into consideration that the bodysuit's sleeve would push the hand off.

It failed yes, but they at least tried instead of going a Hasbro route and permanently attaching just 2 hands. Every great idea starts out with a few failed tries. The Maul hands work great, they evolved from the failed flipper idea.

It failed yes, but they at least tried instead of going a Hasbro route and permanently attaching just 2 hands. Every great idea starts out with a few failed tries. The Maul hands work great, they evolved from the failed flipper idea.

The Maul is an overall nightmare. :lol From his gangly arms and neck, cheap material they used for his outfit, botched likeness and the Hasbro-ey saber and belt.... But no, Vader hands didn't evolve per-say, until the ROTS Vader. For Maul they just went with the standard RAH hand (released on previous figures), using bracelets to simulate the rest of the glove.

Nope, I have the ROTJ Vader.

Well, you must be like the only one then. :dunno

Yep. The evolved right into the crappy ROTS Vader whose hands fell off if you even looked at the wrong.

(I know you were talking about Maul's hands, but I just can't resist... as much as I loved my ROTS Vader, those hands were a bizatch to keep tabs on). :D

Hello,

Where do I find the thread or info for the Helmet Mod to the Sideshow Darth Vader? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Hello,

Where do I find the thread or info for the Helmet Mod to the Sideshow Darth Vader? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Come on Rolando! You are good at customizing. You don't need help. Just pop off the helmet and you'll know what to do! (dremel away all the ridges and glue back the helmet. That's it!).

***** UPDATE *****

I copy-pasted these brief instructions that I posted at Rebelscum. Hope it helps:

PhobicSquirrel said:
so after you take the helmet off, then what? Seems as though it only goes so far down and no difference is seen. Do you need to snip the peg a little underneath the dome? Did you use a lighter to widen it? Thanks, btw nice pic.

"You have to shave all the ridges that are on the inside. Shave also the glue spots, you will have to apply glue later on them when you are done. All this shaving of the stuff inside will make the dome deeper and have more room for the head. I did snip the peg a little bit and dremmeled around it so it would go deeper into the hole that's on the head. Also, I didn't feel it was necessary to widen or "flare out" the helmet. Looks good as it is. Finally, use strong glue on the old glue spots, place the dome back firmly and let it dry. Hope this helps."

Don't go too low when you position the dome. Go more or less like in this picture:

DSC01575.jpg

Last edited:
Hi everyone.

New member here, but I've been lurking for a while. I just got my Vader last week but was rather disappointed with the poor (nonexistent) articulation in the ankle area. I feel that this severely limits the posing, and was looking to correct this with some modding. Does anyone know if either of these two would be suitable replacements for Vader's boots?

https://www.monkeydepot.com/Boots_Newline_Miniatures_Tall_Officer_NCO_Type_p/nl0026-i111.htm

https://www.monkeydepot.com/Boots_Toys_City_German_WWII_Officer_NCO_Jackboots_p/tcl0053-xb184.htm

Many thanks in advance :)

Come on Rolando! You are good at customizing. You don't need help. Just pop off the helmet and you'll know what to do! (dremel away all the ridges and glue back the helmet. That's it!).

***** UPDATE *****

I copy-pasted these brief instructions that I posted at Rebelscum. Hope it helps:

"You have to shave all the ridges that are on the inside. Shave also the glue spots, you will have to apply glue later on them when you are done. All this shaving of the stuff inside will make the dome deeper and have more room for the head. I did snip the peg a little bit and dremmeled around it so it would go deeper into the hole that's on the head. Also, I didn't feel it was necessary to widen or "flare out" the helmet. Looks good as it is. Finally, use strong glue on the old glue spots, place the dome back firmly and let it dry. Hope this helps."

Don't go too low when you position the dome. Go more or less like in this picture:

DSC01575.jpg

Impressive ... most impressive. ;) Would you mind getting a picture of the figure facing straight ahead at the camera?

Thanks!

Hi everyone.

New member here, but I've been lurking for a while. I just got my Vader last week but was rather disappointed with the poor (nonexistent) articulation in the ankle area. I feel that this severely limits the posing, and was looking to correct this with some modding. Does anyone know if either of these two would be suitable replacements for Vader's boots?

https://www.monkeydepot.com/Boots_Newline_Miniatures_Tall_Officer_NCO_Type_p/nl0026-i111.htm

https://www.monkeydepot.com/Boots_Toys_City_German_WWII_Officer_NCO_Jackboots_p/tcl0053-xb184.htm

Many thanks in advance :)

The boots in the first link are the exact ones that member Hurricane* uses for his wonderful custom Vaders. You can use those but then you will have to worry about the chin guards. I guess you could cut out and separate the original ones from the original boot, then just add straps and put them on the new boots.

*To see Hurricane's Vaders, check out the "Vaderville" thread:
https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31473&page=39

Does Vader even have feet? I haven't had the need to check mine, but given the armored bodies have been using molded shoes as feet, it wouldn't surprise me if Vader followed the tradition.

As solid as Vader's boots seem, I think the legs just plug in, I'm not sure boots soft enough to go over feet could support his weight.

The boots in the first link are the exact ones that member Hurricane* uses for his wonderful custom Vaders. You can use those but then you will have to worry about the chin guards. I guess you could cut out and separate the original ones from the original boot, then just add straps and put them on the new boots.

*To see Hurricane's Vaders, check out the "Vaderville" thread:
https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31473&page=39

Hi Commtech.

I would have thought that the jackboots would be the better of the two, but the first ones look to be slightly better quality. The shin guards will be a piece of cake. I'm not too worried about Vader's weight on the ankles, I'm used to tackling issues like that.

Nice ... But I must say it seems to be a lot of (risky) effort to get the helmet down by 1 or 2 millimeters ...

My main issue with this SC version is that it won't look as distinctive when the ESB version comes out.

Back