Official Sideshow 1/6 ANH Darth Vader PHOTO Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice ... But I must say it seems to be a lot of (risky) effort to get the helmet down by 1 or 2 millimeters ...

My main issue with this SC version is that it won't look as distinctive when the ESB version comes out.

:lecture:lecture:lecture Plus, and I stress IMO, it makes his overall head look smushed like Hasbro's old 1-piece 1:6 Vader's head.

:lecture:lecture:lecture Plus, and I stress IMO, it makes his overall head look smushed like Hasbro's old 1-piece 1:6 Vader's head.

It's funny, but I always thought the opposite. Before the mod, it has the same googly eyes and protruding mouth as the Hasbro Vader. Kind of like everything was pushed forward. Plus, the exposed brows and silly happy face expression is the same as the Hasbro Vader. The mod gives it depth and character to the expression. You would need to see the difference in person. It's like night and day. But like you said, it's different opinions/tastes. If you are happy with Vader as is, then good for you.:vader\

Here are the before and after pics:

Picture7.png
DSC01575.jpg

It's funny, but I always thought the opposite. Before the mod, it has the same googly eyes and protruding mouth as the Hasbro Vader. Kind of like everything was pushed forward. Plus, the exposed brows and silly happy face expression is the same as the Hasbro Vader. The mod gives it depth and character to the expression. You would need to see the difference in person. It's like night and day. But like you said, it's different opinions/tastes. If you are happy with Vader as is, then good for you.:vader\

Here are the before and after pics:

Picture7.png
DSC01575.jpg

For me it has everything to do with the height of the dome. Unfortunately, the height is accurate, but the length of the bottom is too short. While the mod makes it appear lower, you lose the height with it. :(

No offense to anyone, but USUALLY I tend to actually like the original more than the modded.

For me it has everything to do with the height of the dome. Unfortunately, the height is accurate, but the length of the bottom is too short. While the mod makes it appear lower, you lose the height with it. :(

That's why I've never considered the mod, while it makes the flared end fall into a more proper location, as you say, it also moves the part that is in the right place lower and takes away from that, I like it better with the flare riding a little higher and the rest looking where it needs to be, I think the face of the mask looks better that way, and with a proper pose, you can hide the flare end enough.

Just want to remind you guys that the prototype that Sideshow showed at comic con 2008 had the dome placed just like the modded Vaders you've seen here. But, as always, the actual production pieces differ from the prototype (prototype usually being more accurate).

Here's a movie still from ANH:

Picture8.png

and my Vader flanked by 2 stormies:

DSC01671R.jpg

That's why I've never considered the mod, while it makes the flared end fall into a more proper location, as you say, it also moves the part that is in the right place lower and takes away from that, I like it better with the flare riding a little higher and the rest looking where it needs to be, I think the face of the mask looks better that way, and with a proper pose, you can hide the flare end enough.

I know what you mean Maul fan, but to me it was more important to cover those brows and push everything back into the dome so it wouldn't stick out. I think everyone has a different perception of Vader in their heads. Ultimately, with or without mod, the SSC is not a 100% accurate representation of Vader as seen in the movies. But still, the best Vader yet made by a big company.

Just want to remind you guys that the prototype that Sideshow showed at comic con 2008 had the dome placed just like the modded Vaders you've seen here. But, as always, the actual production pieces differ from the prototype (prototype usually being more accurate).

From what I saw, the prototype at SDCC had a longer helmet, and while it may have been rotated correctly, it still rode the head nice and high, like the production piece and the overall shape wasn't the "smooshed" look of the custom. If what you said was true, there'd be no reason to cut down the helmet to make it sit lower as is done in the mod to get that look. So I'm not sure what you're talking about. :huh

The dome was longer in the back on the SDCC proto, and where the eyebrows fell on the face looks very minutely different from where the production helmet rests.

IMG_1984.JPG

Oh $h!t! You are right! It even has the sides flared. Haven't seen that Vader picture in a long time. That looks fantastic! I don't know why we didn't get that instead.:(

Oh well, I still like my "smooshed" Vader way better than the googly eyed, happy faced pre-moded version.

It's all a matter of personal preference, I was just expressing that I share Nam's POV on the matter.

Other than the flaring in the back of the dome, the final product looks spot on to what was to be expected from Comic Con.

It's all a matter of personal preference, I was just expressing that I share Nam's POV on the matter.

Other than the flaring in the back of the dome, the final product looks spot on to what was to be expected from Comic Con.

:lecture:lecture:lecture And in my post I stressed that it was only my opinion, so that this wouldn't turn into a better/worse debate/flame war. If modded floats your boat, go sailing! Please don't get offended. I just prefer the stock look. :D

Speaking of the helmet, I'm really anxious to see ROTJ, or even ROTS, tackled to see how Sideshow handles the removal. The current attachment for the dome won't work because it'd have to jab into poor Anakin's head, so it'll probably be a modified version, but I'm more curious how the face plate will be handled. It stays on fine, but I'm not a fan of how Medicom has the tabs showing after it's pulled away.

Speaking of the helmet, I'm really anxious to see ROTJ, or even ROTS, tackled to see how Sideshow handles the removal. The current attachment for the dome won't work because it'd have to jab into poor Anakin's head, so it'll probably be a modified version, but I'm more curious how the face plate will be handled. It stays on fine, but I'm not a fan of how Medicom has the tabs showing after it's pulled away.

Though I'd easily forgive that if they pull it off in proper 1:6 as good as Medicom did in their scale.

It is a small thing, but if they can even avoid that, all the better. I just want to match the function from the movie, not the swappable head idea that's been tossed around.

Just a comment on the Helmet mod (if this was ESB Vader I'd be happy not to do it), I tried to leave it be and not do it, but over the couple of weeks I had this figure it bugged me more & more. Everytime I looked at this figure I had a nagging dislike with it (I didn't even like looking at the figure to tell the truth), until I did the mods, now I can't stop looking at it, LOL... again it's purely the ANH vrs ESB for me, if it was sold to me as the ESB I probably wouldn't have faulted it.

I'm finally getting around to posting my modified Vader. He looks much better now IMHO. I just couldn't live with the gangly body and overly-stiff legs. Now he's a smidge shorter (which I think makes him perfect) and looks beefed up and not so lanky. Plus I tried a second very beefy body just for grins.

On the DCD Dr. Manhattan body just for grins

VaderBody.jpg

VaderBodySide.jpg

VaderBodySideClose.jpg

VaderBodyClose.jpg

VaderDCDclose.jpg

VaderDCDprofile.jpg

So what body did you end up using?

It's actually an amalgamation of a couple bodies. I started with the Hot Toys Briareos body, because he has the bulkier arms, shoulder, and legs I was looking for. The problem was the neck sat too high, and the calves had built-in boot feet. I used the regular Vader torso and forearms, added the Briareos arms and modded them with fishers from the hardware store to fit properly on the SS Vader shoulder joints and forearms. I added Predator 1 calves to fit the Vader boots and now I have a figure with tighter joints, a more authentic Prowse physique body, more accurate height, and better pose-ability and articulation.

Back