Official Sideshow 1/6 ANH Darth Vader PHOTO Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Helmet with mods. I put it up in the other thread but that seems to have very little traffic. Now I really, REALLY am digging my Vader. He was awesome before, he's magnificent now! IMO, it really makes a difference.

SSCVader001.jpg

SSCVader004.jpg

Hey Deoxy, do you have an pics of your modded vader from the side? Also, in the other thread, you stated that when putting the helmet in boiling water, the paint started to look flaky. How long did you have it in the water? I ask because I might try the same thing. I wonder if using a hair dryer to soften the plastic may work in the same way and be less dangerous?

No dont use a hair dryer it will shrink and warp the plastic, i tried that on 1 of my stormtroopers and it warped it a bit. Boiling hot water doesn't harm the plastic at all.

Jacklyn is sending me just a replacement head (neck piece of helmet was chipped when it arrived)and told me to destroy the old one and send pics. I thought that was cool of them(but odd),but I'm surprised they didnt have you return the complete figure. I thought they only had me do this because I told them the figure was fine and I'd just need them to send a head if they would do that.

Is this going to be SSC new return policy? Maybe just on the armored figs?

edit:I just realized you are in Romania. Makes sense then for them to do this instead of making you ship a figure all the way back to the states.

Hey Deoxy, do you have an pics of your modded vader from the side? Also, in the other thread, you stated that when putting the helmet in boiling water, the paint started to look flaky. How long did you have it in the water? I ask because I might try the same thing. I wonder if using a hair dryer to soften the plastic may work in the same way and be less dangerous?

Here are a couple of pics from the side. I have his head positioned as far down as it will go against his chest.

I've never done the hair dryer thing so I can't say, but it seems it might be a safer bet.

I dipped the front part of the dome sides (not the entire helmet) in the water 5 different times, each for about 7 - 8 seconds, then ran it under cool water after reshaping it. I'm not sure if it was the heat or the "reshaping" that made the paint get that pattern. Good thing is you can't see it at all unless one, you know where to look and two, you are right up close as in a couple inches away from it. It's still shiny. I think they painted the helmet then put a gloss coat over it because the helmet is still super shiny even where the paint underneath got those few veins in it.

SSCVader2004.jpg

SSCVader2006.jpg

Re: New Vader Photo's

I think yall who think the helmet is wrong are smoking crack :sick, but carry on and continue to butcher your toys boys....

I'm leaving my big friend alone. He might kill me in my sleep.

:banana

Oh yeah, well, I think your smoking sh t! Enjoy your misshaped Vader helmet.

Jacklyn is sending me just a replacement head (neck piece of helmet was chipped when it arrived)and told me to destroy the old one and send pics. I thought that was cool of them(but odd),but I'm surprised they didnt have you return the complete figure. I thought they only had me do this because I told them the figure was fine and I'd just need them to send a head if they would do that.

Is this going to be SSC new return policy? Maybe just on the armored figs?

edit:I just realized you are in Romania. Makes sense then for them to do this instead of making you ship a figure all the way back to the states.

I'm in Romania and shipping is a LOT ;)

Dont use a hairdryer it will warp and shrink the plastic.

I actually prefer this over the boiling method. Keeping the hair dryer far enough away and judging by touch when it is soft enough to be pliable is best for this method. Holding the hair dryer right against it and blasting it for a couple of minutes is how you get warped and melted items. The shrinking is highly doubtful given that the science behind the whole method (heat/expansion) says the opposite, unless you're baking it :lol.

Here are the next couple of pics in my reveal. Had an awesome pool party yesterday so didn't get anything done on the helmet mod. I put him in my Detolf in the Theater yesterday so everybody could see him and I got a lot of great comments. Pics to follow soon.
VaderExboxfnt.jpg

Vaderoutofboxinplastic.jpg

Vaderboxopenacc.jpg

You can't tell from pics, cause when i got it i was blown away by how imposing and the presence it gives off in person.

Homerun for SS here just about.

Mine finally shipped. Getting it on Wednesday. I guess that's going to have to be an unofficial holiday from work to wait for mr. ups man. It's water under the bridge now I guess - but damn sideshow took a while to get this one out. A year preorder followed by almost a month from my original warehouse notice. Oh well, 72 hours and he'll be here!

"Cool pose! Reminds me of the old Vader Cinemacast statue "

totally what i was thinking!

i finally got my vader last thursday! :banana:chew

but i didn't have time to provide my comments immediately cos i was away for a short vacation. and my camera has been borrowed so i can't provide pics, but here are just a few quick thoughts on it...

the first thing i noticed was the packaging design. now, fyi this is my first-ever 1/6 figure by sideshow. all this while, i've been accustomed to (and spoiled by) hot toys' amazingly innovative packaging. so comparatively, sideshow's seemed a little boring and uninspired to me. on its own it's not a bad design, just kinda plain. but it has very detailed text on the inside, which is better than ht's stuff which usually has very sparse (and not well-written) info. but head's up sideshow, i spotted a major typo error: "Anakin Skywaler" ??? :duh

as soon as i opened it up, i completely forgot about the packaging.

this darth vader is HUGE! i stood him next to my ht predator1, and poor pred looked like a shorty next to vader. :D like many folks here have said, he may be a little bit too tall (14.5 inches according to my ruler). but i honestly don't have a problem with his height. vader is and should be an imposing figure, and this excess height sure helps convey that when he's on display.

the helmet issue IS an issue for me. again, this has been endlessly discussed so i won't really elaborate on it. just wanna say that from a front angle with his head completely level, he looks a bit weird. but if u pose him with his head tilted slightly upwards and at a 3/4 angle away from you, the helmet looks perfectly fine. to me, anyway.

the armour, robes and bodysuit all look great, imo. i like the mix of textures and shades, so his costume has clear definition. which is not easy to pull off, considering his predominant colour is black. but sideshow pulled it off.

the cape is a little less successful though. the cloth is too thin to drape as it should in the movies. and it creases too easily. but i put that down to the fact that the material is in 1/6 scale, so it's forgiveable.

the paint apps are also pretty good, and i especially like the high gloss of his helmet dome and the boots. i would've preferred a little less use of grey on the face though. but i understand they were trying to create visual separation between the face panels. a darker grey would've been better imo. not as jarring. still, on the shelf at a distance, it becomes a non-issue and probably helps define vader's visage more clearly.

the only thing i didn't really like was the very limited leg articulation. i know the real costume david prowse wore was also quite restrictive. but this is a figure and i feel some slight liberties should've been taken to allow more freedom of movement. as it is right now, i can't get vader to do much more than a "legs-slightly-apart" pose. when i try bending his knees, he can't stand on his own cos the ankle has almost ZERO articulation. makes for kinda boring poses. however, i'm happy with the pose i've got him in now: the leaning-forward-with-fist-outstretched-in-air pose when confronting luke (after revealing he's his father) on bespin in epV.

overall, i rate this alongside the best hot toys has to offer. if hot toys had done vader, they'd likely have given him a light-up saber and working lights on his armour. other than that, i don't see how much better another company could've done it (helmet issue notwithstanding).

well done sideshow. i've not been impressed with a lot of your comiquettes and 1:1 stuff recently. but this figure shows why u guys are still a major player in the world of collectibles.

Back