Official Sideshow 1/6 ANH Darth Vader PHOTO Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For those of you who have modded your Vader helmet, what is the concensus on the positioning peg in the helmet? Are we sanding/cutting it completely out, or are we leaving some of it standing?

If any of you/most of you/all of you are leaving any part of the peg in place, are you still using it to position the helmet, or is the re-positioning such that the peg no longer goes in it's hole?

Also, do you think superglue is overkill? Would some hot-glue do the trick?

Thanks!

i sanded the peg all the way down, you need to sand it off to get the helmet to sit right. and i only used 3 dabs of super glue but im sure you dont need to.

I just picked up this figure today. My first Star Wars 1/6th figure! It looks great in person. I don't think the pictures (although nice) do it justice. I fear I've started yet another 1/6 collection that's really going to hurt my wallet. Storm Troopers are next...

For those of you who have modded your Vader helmet, what is the concensus on the positioning peg in the helmet? Are we sanding/cutting it completely out, or are we leaving some of it standing?

If any of you/most of you/all of you are leaving any part of the peg in place, are you still using it to position the helmet, or is the re-positioning such that the peg no longer goes in it's hole?

Also, do you think superglue is overkill? Would some hot-glue do the trick?

Thanks!

I just did the helmet mod for a couple of friends and they are sooo happy. QuiGonFishing, if you'd like, I can do the Vader Helmet mod for you for free. I've got the right tools. As a matter of fact, I'll do 3 helmet mods for fellow freaks for free (just 3, no more). Why, you may ask? Because I've had a great experience here with people helping me out and I would like to pay it forward. Besides, I'm good at doing this mod and super careful. LMK. :cool:

Love this pic:rock :rock :rock :rock

great pics, tyler!

Awesome pics tyler!

thanks for the kind words, guys.

btw, mine is an UNmodded figure. as some forummers have said, all it needs is the right angle to make the dome/helmet look great. i don't plan to do any mods too, out of fear of damaging the beautiful glossy paintwork---which is a major reason why vader looks so darn good. :cool:

having said that, those of u who have done the helmet mods, they definitely look sweet, keep up the great work!

Well, if you know what you are doing, there shouldn't be any damage done to the helmet when modding it.
Oh, and I like my Vader to look good from every angle. ;) But, to each his own, if you are happy the way it is, that's awesome. If it's not broken, why fix it, huh? :)

I just did the helmet mod for a couple of friends and they are sooo happy. QuiGonFishing, if you'd like, I can do the Vader Helmet mod for you for free. I've got the right tools. As a matter of fact, I'll do 3 helmet mods for fellow freaks for free (just 3, no more). Why, you may ask? Because I've had a great experience here with people helping me out and I would like to pay it forward. Besides, I'm good at doing this mod and super careful. LMK. :cool:

you are a good guy man...i would at least charge a can of coke :)
i will be getting mine soon....too far to send to you and from you to me...probably u could give us a step by step tutorial when you do the next one...

I got rid of all the ribbing inside my dome except for leaving a little of the back one. I did leave most of the peg there. I was going to grind it off, but just kept trying it back on his head to see how it was going. The main part of the peg I left alone, but I did grind off the little part that projects out a bit.

I'm happy with it, it holds it on secure, but I can also put the dome on crooked or wonky if I feel like it. Vader's dome is all over the place in ANH, so however you like it on there, enjoy it.

you are a good guy man...i would at least charge a can of coke :)
i will be getting mine soon....too far to send to you and from you to me...probably u could give us a step by step tutorial when you do the next one...

I asked this question several pages back about how much is actually being removed and I guess no one saw it quick enough before it was gone into the ethos:monkey2

Sooooooo, I would be all in for a brief tutorial or just a pic of the inside of the helmet to see what should stay and what should go:chew

I asked this question several pages back about how much is actually being removed and I guess no one saw it quick enough before it was gone into the ethos:monkey2

Sooooooo, I would be all in for a brief tutorial or just a pic of the inside of the helmet to see what should stay and what should go:chew

It's back there about 10 or so pages.

Scroll down to see a picture:
https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57609&page=347

Also, if your dome came with any scratches from the package, you can use Novus fine scratch remover #2. After that Use #1, Clean and Shine and it'll leave Vader's dome like new. That's what I use and it works great:
https://www.lotionsource.com/novus_plastic_polish.html?gclid=CL74wKK6mZwCFRwpawodzG1WdA

It is scary putting those boots back on:horror I bent the pegs in both boots the first time, I then had to straighten them out with a screwdriver and once I got them on I realized I put them on the wrong legs!!!! The third time I finally got it, but I won't be taking them off anytime in the near future.

here you go, all the modifications you need to make it perfect

Tutorial for the dome-mod, the chest-mod and the shoulderpadding-mod

1. making sit Chestbox straight
this is what I used for materials, the foam from the box itself :) and some tape that I had left from modelling
foam.JPG

foam%20chest.JPG

it looks good imo
chest.JPG

chest1.JPG

2. Padding shoulder armor
here I just took a piece of paper and folded it a few times and again taped it to the bottom of the shoulder amor
shoulder.JPG

shoulder1.JPG

3. Dome modification
Haven' took picture of this, but when you remove the dome, you will see "ribs" inside of the dome, just dremel those away!
Than you can put it on the head, but before you use the (super)glue know how you prefer it to sit on the head.

and here is the result of it all
DSCF1603.JPG

Last edited:
Yeah, where the dome sits relative to the mask from the factory is really nice I think, anywhere that seems like it needs to be lower, etc., is more a matter of needing more mass in those places, rather than changing location.

Not knocking anyone who did the mod, but this is the reason I've yet to attempt it. While brow and below, it looks great, the top makes the helmet look a tad scrunched.

You know, depends on how low you position the helmet. I didn't go as low as Riko's mod. It all depends on how Vader looks to you in your head, on how you think it looks good to YOU. Check it out in these pictures:

DSC01578.jpg
DSC01575.jpg

However, one of my friends who I helped with the mod, asked me to go low in order to completely cover the brows and get that evil look. Very McQuarrie looking. Sorry, I don't have pictures of that one.

Last edited:
Back