Official Sideshow 1/6 ANH Darth Vader PHOTO Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whew...OK I did it!!! I modded the dome placement on my Vader:vader Let me tell you that dome placement on this figure makes ALL the difference. I actually modded the head rather than the dome. It was actually very easy to do. I just removed the dome and cut about 3/16 to 1/4 of an inch off the top of the head with my dremel. Didn't have to be too careful since this part is always coverd by the dome. Then just reposition the dome... trim anymore excess as needed and DONE! Now my Vader looks 110% better.

Good luck to all who try it out!

mike

Vader with Marmit troops

DSCF1936.jpg

Thats what i'm talking about...:stormtroo

Whew...OK I did it!!! I modded the dome placement on my Vader:vader Let me tell you that dome placement on this figure makes ALL the difference. I actually modded the head rather than the dome. It was actually very easy to do. I just removed the dome and cut about 3/16 to 1/4 of an inch off the top of the head with my dremel. Didn't have to be too careful since this part is always coverd by the dome. Then just reposition the dome... trim anymore excess as needed and DONE! Now my Vader looks 110% better.

mike

You can't just come in here and post something like this without pics! PICS!!!

I have them in a bag at the new house. Keeping them until new Vader arrive then I'm going to seed them in the garden, maybe they'll grow into full size Vader figures :D

Now that would be cool!:naughty

20090721_1Medium.jpg

Whoa..thats my favorite pic now, you did the best job i have seen yet.

Here are some quick iPhone pics of the helmet mod I did, it was very simple to do...I also cut the center post inside the dome piece down a bit to assure proper fitting but I don't think I really needed to!

mike

Quite the difference its makes in the overall appearance after a good lobotomy. :banghead :duh

Don't forget guys, this fella has a double jointed neck.. so pull his head forward that helps with his posture (making him have that natural forward neck that we all have - including david prowse) also it helps a little with the back of the dome and the shoulders

Thanks for that tip. I was not aware of that. Will give it a try.

Can you share any straight on pics, Darren? I like what you're on to, but it's a little hard to guage without the straight on angle to compare.

yeah, i forgot to take a front on photo *oops* also my cam decided to ever so slightly underexpose vader on my pics... which doesnt let you see much detail. Even if it DOES look great and moody lol. I'll try to take a pic in the next day or two.

Great stuff Darren. That shoulder idea is exactly what I was planning to do. Glad it works so successfully, it makes all the difference.

the combination of raising the shoulder armour, and lowering/tilting back the dome really makes a small (but noticeable) difference.

I wish I had the talent to do what you did Darren. I'm not really thrilled with my Vader as is.

Really? That's too bad.... I absolutely loved mine when it came out of the box. I only did this because... well... it's what i do :lol

I'd be more than happy with the standard figure though. If its the dome that bothers you try pushing the head forward (not tilting it.. keep it level... but move the bottom joint forward, as if he's sticking his chin out... I found doing that helped bring the back of the dome closer to the shoulders a little, and gave him a more natural slouch.

mike

well done mike.... glad you did something scary, and it worked out for you! :D

20090721_1Medium.jpg

Whoa..thats my favorite pic now, you did the best job i have seen yet.

:lecture

Good stuff Darren.

:eek: :bow :eek: thanks guys

MaulFan i never get bored of looking at your pics. :rock

Great work Darren!! The modifications really improve the look of the figure. As has been requested by others, I too would love to see some more pictures. I am particularily interested in seeing a front shot and a look at how you sanded and modded the helmet.

Also, after lowering the helmet and tilting it back, is there enough flare?

got mine today and love it but boy, ITS HEAD (as well as his his body) IS HUGE! is that the reason you are all attempting this helmet mod? its my 1st SS figure after owning 9 HT figures! he absolutely towers over everything else in my detolf including supposedly 7ft predators! is this right? i know david prowse was over 7ft but man, darth looks like an 8 footer next to my HT dutch/pred!! is SS darth at the correct scale??

im not complaining! i was just shocked at his size/height! i was expecting a 12 inch figure to come but this is more like a PF!-im sure his nearer to 15" !??

p.s is there a particular reason why only one side of his mask/tusk has the silver dot? is it not a quality control thing? or is it meant to be like that? thanx for any info!

Back