Official "Ridley Scott's Prometheus" Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Prometheus - Spoiler thread!

Absolutely loved this film, I've only seen Alien, and thought it was good, but this blew that flick out of the water. Awesome prequel to a cool film.

Visually stunning as well. Cinematography was amazing at points.

I don't think he'd look like that, just the point of the Aliens rapid growth cycle and KBA is right, hes born way larger than even the Queen, so this guys gonna be an Alpha Xeno the size of a truck unless he has a totally diferent growth pattern from other Xenos

Absolutely loved this film, I've only seen Alien, and thought it was good, but this blew that flick out of the water. Awesome prequel to a cool film.

Visually stunning as well. Cinematography was amazing at points.

you Haven't Seen Aliens??? :horror What's wrong with you :thwak

you Haven't Seen Aliens??? :horror What's wrong with you :thwak

Caught part of it a little while back on the Scifi channel. I think I've seen all of them, just A LONG time ago (like a wee little lad). So basically started fresh.

Another thing I noticed while watching this, is the atmosphere is much more open compared to Alien's very claustrophobic tone.

Yeah, I think they definitely got the deluxe model ship for this mission which I guess could also partially explain why the tech looked better even though it was what 25 years before Alien?

I think the best part of this film is the filling in the blanks. I don't think my wife and I have ever talked about a movie so much after seeing it. Its usually just that was good, that was crap, etc.. then done tlaking about it, lol.

Well, when scientists, funded by rich people go on a exploration, would they a practical well made vessel? Or a beat up piece of crap designed to do one simple task?

People forget that, aside from the Gateway station in Aliens, every place Ripley has been was a beat up piece of crap, a grimy cheap hick town on a crap planet, and a prison planet.

We never saw earth, or what the tech really does in that universe.

Re: Official Alien Prequel/Prometheus Discussion Thread

-Everything is happening rapidly after the death of Fifield and Milburn. The time was spent advancing, not dwelling. Since Everyone is at different places most the time maybe there was alot of "oh crap its all over talk" offscreen, but since that is a major thing in nearly any movie where people are dying and you seem to want them to avoid typical crap, why would you want this anyways? Seems like a contradiction.

If the captain Janek would not been boozing and shagging, he would have seen or at least noticed the demise of Fifield and Millburn much earlier. But that's covered in my other point (stupid people hired).
Advancing the "plot" by rushing into action in these conditions is unrealistic behaviour for even the most enthusiastic scientist to do. Human beings are emotional unlike androids. Offscreen talk is just that, offscreen and as such nonexistent to a viewer. This creates unbelievable characters with no emotional connection to the viewer, just cannon fodder and monster-jerky.

- How many times did they have to say it was glitched for this to be picked up on? People dying, trying to complete what theey are there for and arguing over the best course of action and you think they should have been worried about what they were told was a glitch in the probe? Obviously Fifield and Milburn were worried about the probe, they(the film) showed that very well.

It wasn't glitched when Janek first spotted it and determined it wasn't moving. Pretty easy to track back to don't you think? Suddenly they care more about the dead Fifield and Millburn than possibly living engineer they have come all this way to find, that contradicts to their every other action in the movie.

-Another thing that seemed rushed or maybe she was in shock :dunno

So we agree the writing was bad, maybe because of pacing issues?

-I knew that machine would be a "clunky" mechanic involved in the movie by how it was introduced, but what conversation did you want? David on the trip out saying, "Hey, sorry we disagreed on leaving the space squid in you" I think her mind was reeling from all the ____ she'd endured plus David subtlety dropping the bomb that he "knew" Holloway wasn't infected via the air.

I'd expect somekind of confrontation from her after what they did to her. And him. Even if she was in shock, since she seems to be coherent enough to speak with Weyland about being wrong about the whole trip and to be convinced to continue her scientific endeavours. Not being surprised to see the old geezer is also odd, but this can be because of recent traumatic experience, just too much to take in. Still, that doesn't go with the squid caesarian issue.

Point is once events started happening it was an avalanche of crap, not like there was alot of breather time, it was one disaster to the next. Obviously there is room for interpretation and maybe some peoples interpretation is different from others, doesn't make it all bad, sometimes thats half the fun.

They could take a breather any time after the storm when Fifield and Millburn are showing zero life signs. After all it's not like the crew really cared about them. Actually they had time during the storm, but the time on the movie is rather wasted showing akward interaction between Janek and Vickers. Another good time to step back and think a little would be after torching Holloway. Yet again after zombie-Fifields attack. There was no real reason to rush into things except to hide nonexistent plot.

Holes in the narrative are really not fun to talk about, theories and speculation of underlying themes and plot are. But since we are talking about a (flaved) movie that is being defended so much here it is warranted, in my opinion.

Wouldn't it be easier to just call it "alien" :lol

I also noticed that this flick had much less to do with rape than the first. :lol

Sure. But the semi official name for them is Xenomorph. You say that, and people know what it is.

You say Alien, and it could mean a lot of things. Even int he context of this movie.

But regardless, there aint no Xeno's in this flick, so....

What about at the very end? Isn't that a Xeno.

Still trying to make my mind up about the rape theme in this one. :lol

No.

And there really isn't much. The theme is more life, and death. There's more births, deaths, and all that. Aside from the Jockey, all of it was consensual. :D

Oh, so what was that at the end then?

I'm thinking this one had less rape, just as much sexual imagery though for sure.

Re: Official Alien Prequel/Prometheus Discussion Thread

I have a feeling you'd criticize the movie if these scenes were actually missing. Cue the "no character development/interaction" complaints. :lol

Of course I would. Bad exposition is better than none at all, but it's still bad. In this movie it was really bad, but still better none.
Due to the lack of original or believable character development most of the actions on screen are just scenes with no emotion. Characters made to die, just for scare-value. I expect more from the director of Alien, but obviously he is getting old. From the writer of Lost I don't expect anything and that's what we're unfortunately getting with Prometheus.

Still, I'm hoping for a extended cut that solves most of these issues. I really want to like this movie, believe it or not.

I agree with whoever said earlier that no matter which way you see this film, the sequence with the navigator Engineer powering up the ship after clobbering Weyland with David's head was...outstanding.

So, shes not a robot, Weyand just waited around til he was 70 to 75 and then decided to father a kid? ehhhhh.... :dunno

ANDROID! David was Mk1, then he wanted a more human Mk2 to be his sister.

Never know for sure and thats probably how its meant to be. Still, David was obviously not a standard model for the Alien universe considering he didn't use stasis while traveling, makes you think...

Charlie Chaplin's youngest son is still only 49 years of age. If Charlie Chaplin was alive today he would be 123 years old.
Maybe Weyland outlived his previous partner, and had a child with a new partner? He's very rich so the mother could be any age.

Last edited:

Have enough people seen the movie for me to use my new Proto-Xeno sig?

I don't know if anyone noticed already, but when the engineer ship flys up then comes down and rolls, this would send the contents (Weylands body) flying and bouncing around inside the ship right? But Davids head and body remain in the same place when Elizibeth gets them.

Back