Official "Ridley Scott's Prometheus" Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Official Alien Prequel/Prometheus Discussion Thread

The problem is that when I saw the movie, I thought X was happening, then I start reading interviews, etc. AFTER seeing it and see that they gutted the core premise out, left it with a vague nod towards the original idea, which left a huge gaping hole for the imagination. the clues are there that soemthing went wrong during Jesus' lifespan, but they don't just spell it out.

What probably would have worked much better if they were afriad of the backlash from making jesus into an engineer on screen, would have been to have the engineer killed due to the humans changing beliefs and believeing the engineer to be a demon. So when one came to check out the humans, BAM, ganged up on and killed. This still would have conveyed a similar feel without calling jesus a space jockey and they could have avoided the situation they skirted around.

The only thing that disappoints me about this movie is that this was one of those movies that could have GREAT. Throughout the first half I was very impressed and thought I was watching one of the greatest sci-fi flicks of all the time, but it went kind of downhill and left a slightly disappointing taste in my mouth with its rushed and incomplete story. I kept thinking as I walked out of the theater that the movie had so much potential and that it could have been GREAT but turned out to be just GOOD. It could have been GREAT...

This is were I'm at for the most part. It wasn't disappointing, but I wanted it to be great.

The problem is that when I saw the movie, I thought X was happening, then I start reading interviews, etc. AFTER seeing it and see that they gutted the core premise out, left it with a vague nod towards the original idea, which left a huge gaping hole for the imagination. the clues are there that soemthing went wrong during Jesus' lifespan, but they don't just spell it out.

What probably would have worked much better if they were afriad of the backlash from making jesus into an engineer on screen, would have been to have the engineer killed due to the humans changing beliefs and believeing the engineer to be a demon. So when one came to check out the humans, BAM, ganged up on and killed. This still would have conveyed a similar feel without calling jesus a space jockey and they could have avoided the situation they skirted around.

So the opening was suppost to be a nod to Jesus as an engineer? Not sure what interviews you're talking about, but I didn't see it that way at all.

Re: Prometheus - Spoiler thread!

without having to read through hundreds of posts, can someone tell me what the date was at the end of the credits?

January 1st 2094 I believe.

They said it was either New years Eve or New Years day. So I may be off one day

Edit. Nevermind, you're talking about the date this year at the credit end aren't you?
I don't remember, sorry, it was like Novemener or December something of this year.

2093 wasn't it? Also the captain was my fav character other than David. "if you can't be, with the one you love, Love The One Your With!". Also they cut some of his lines from the preview like "Prometheus has landed" and "this place is hell."

Yeah, too bad we're talking about the movie and not Charlie Chaplin. Sorry, but the fact remains that theres nothing noted about him having a daughter. Doesn't mean he didn't have one at 68, but saying Charlie Chaplin had one late in life has nothing to do with Weyland or the movie. I worked with an metallurgist on a project once that didn't start having his family until late in life, think he was 58 when he had his firstborn. That also has nothing to do with this movie as well. The fact remains it still places it in a small percentage and leaves it open to vickers being an android. I'm not saying she is, I'm saying its a possibility. :dunno

I never said the movie was about Charlie Chaplin I was just using him as an example. There is also a strong indication Vickers maybe an Android, as Peter Weyland referred to David as his son, so I am not disagreeing with you.

So the opening was suppost to be a nod to Jesus as an engineer? Not sure what interviews you're talking about, but I didn't see it that way at all.

No, not even close. It was cut out, our transgression. The interview link is posted in each of the Prometheus threads somewhere. Its a long good read, that explains ALOT. the opening was just a generic cut scene to show how the engineers "propogate" a planet.

In the interview they have excerpts of Scott talking about the premise of Jesus being an engineer and the crucifixtion being our trangression. At this point the film was going to be named Paradise (Lost) apparently, but they toned it back and changed the name thinking it was too "telling. This act of war in their eyes at least explains why the Engineer went beserko mode the instant he realized what was in front of him. To them its probably like we started a blood feud by spitting at our makers.

yah very end of the credits. I believe it said: Weyland 10.12.12 or 10.2.12.

I'd seen other people posting that, but I didn't stay until the very end since I didn't expect a Samuel jackson cameo and I wanted to beat the herd to the parking lot. :rotfl

Alot of people are guessing its the BR release date, but it would be nice to have a confirmation as to what it means.

I never said the movie was about Charlie Chaplin I was just using him as an example. There is also a strong indication Vickers maybe an Android, as Peter Weyland referred to David as his son, so I am not disagreeing with you.

yeah, I just wish it could somehow be confirmed that the human heirs didn't reproduce and that Bishop the 2nd is either A) cloned form original DNA or B) an advanced Bishop series

endless wondering....

No, not even close. It was cut out, our transgression. The interview link is posted in each of the Prometheus threads somewhere. Its a long good read, that explains ALOT. the opening was just a generic cut scene to show how the engineers "propogate" a planet.

In the interview they have excerpts of Scott talking about the premise of Jesus being an engineer and the crucifixtion being our trangression. At this point the film was going to be named Paradise (Lost) apparently, but they toned it back and changed the name thinking it was too "telling. This act of war in their eyes at least explains why the Engineer went beserko mode the instant he realized what was in front of him. To them its probably like we started a blood feud by spitting at our makers.

I see where you're going and it makes sense, but only if you know about the interviews. In the context of the film I thought the Engineer going beserko was just a product of see thier own creation face to face after everything that had happened. It's too bad we don't know what David said to him because it seemed like that was what set him off.

I see where you're going and it makes sense, but only if you know about the interviews. In the context of the film I thought the Engineer going beserko was just a product of see thier own creation face to face after everything that had happened. It's too bad we don't know what David said to him because it seemed like that was what set him off.

Yeah, I avoided all media for this like the plague. My deductions during the movie were so far off ( I thought they were coming back with a new and improved goo to evolutionize us and something went wrong etc.) that it left me very iffy when we left. then I started reading interviews et al. and it started piecing together a little better. Yeah, i originally thought David said something to purposely turn him against the crew and it backfired, but now I think David probably just announced the triumphant arrival of humans and "their" creation and it was enough to immediately rock the engineer from his stasis sickness and go into war mode. Cause face it, its not like he was just a little mad, he was pure pissed. :balrog

yeah, I just wish it could somehow be confirmed that the human heirs didn't reproduce and that Bishop the 2nd is either A) cloned form original DNA or B) an advanced Bishop series

endless wondering....

That's really up to you to decide, much like if Tyrell in Blade Runner is a Replicant or not. They actually were going to have a scene where Batty finds many versions of Tyrell after he has killed what he believed was his maker, so androids carrying on somebody's legacy instead of children is a theme Ridley Scott has been interested in before this movie. The thing is Ridley Scott likes to leave things open for interpretation.

That's really up to you to decide, much like if Tyrell in Blade Runner is a Replicant or not. They actually were going to have a scene where Batty finds many versions of Tyrell after he has killed what he believed was his maker, so androids carrying on somebody's legacy instead of children is a theme Ridley Scott has been interested in before this movie. The thing is Ridley Scott likes to leave things open for interpretation.

:goodpost:And thats why hes awesome. :clap

Yeah, I avoided all media for this like the plague. My deductions during the movie were so far off ( I thought they were coming back with a new and improved goo to evolutionize us and something went wrong etc.) that it left me very iffy when we left. then I started reading interviews et al. and it started piecing together a little better.

I think that planet was place to hold all of thier "weapons" so to speak. Maybe they were unhappy with the evolution of humans and choose to destory us. Then something went wrong. Prehaps they realized thier improved goo would create Xenos and choose to abandon the idea after most off them died on that world. The only think missing is what killed them all. In the "ghost video" it looked like they were running from something.

This film was here to make you think...How, why, when, where, and who..end of story...period....I'm not saying there are definite answers here but I left the theater thinking about this film and the questions of life it brought up and I believe it is what Ridley was after...I liked it but it was not perfect...It was one of those films where I felt I should have brought a notebook to write about my theories on this and that...interesting film...I'm dying to find some answers and I would love to have Ridley under the spotlight with a gun to his head and ask him a couple a couple of questions.....LOL....Did we create the Xenomorph?ETC,ETC,ETC,...Dark Helmets version of Lonestars ancestry was less complicated than this one...LOL...The scenery was Magnificent

Last edited:

This film was here to make you think...How, why, when, where, and who..end of story...period....I'm not saying there are definite answers here but I left the theater thinking about this film and the questions of life it brought up and I believe it is what Ridley was after...I liked it but it was not perfect...It was one of those films where I felt I should have brought a notebook to write about my theories on this and that...interesting film...

:exactly::goodpost:

It was one of those films where I felt I should have brought a notebook to write about my theories on this and that...interesting film...

Sounds like a good idea. It will be like what, October before we can dissect this fully in our own homes.

Back