Official "Ridley Scott's Prometheus" Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Official 3D ALIEN Prequel Discussion Thread

Ridley Scott is a genious and way beyond the reach of the likes of James Cameron, but the prequel idea I'm not sold on. The whole aura alien presented was the mystery of the Space Jockey and the origin of the species. To better ressurect the franchices, the best interest would keep it in the same timeline as the first two, but add on to them. Almost essentially making a way far superior 3 and 4. Almost adding on to Aliens . We learned more about the life cycle and reproduction of the alien. with Ridley he can work that concept in and go into the Space jockey instead of going back to the beginning and taking away of how the ship got there and such
but I could be so far off, I am not the professional. He is. ALso, I rather him go into the Space jockey,itself, and not go into if the alien was created or not. I rather just leave that to the viewer and fans mind.

There, fixed that for you...

I don't contest that Ridley Scott is a genius but to be honest theres more James Cameron films that I really like than there is Ridley Scott films.

Hey, it's a matter of taste, so all is good!

But I do consider Ridley Scott a far better director and more interesting storyteller than James Cameron.

Cameron's more of a crowd pleaser, whereas I always find way more depth in Scott's films, there's just more layers to them IMHO.

Ridley Scott's best movies are better than Cameron's, but Scott is also a much more hit or miss director. For my money, Cameron has never made a bad movie, he's only made 7, and all of them are great, when it comes to the kinds of films that he makes, Cameron is in a league of his own, nobody else can do what he does. Scott on the other hand, as much as I love many of his movies, there are several that I outright dislike.

But either way, Cameron is probably my favorite filmmaker of all time, and Scott would be in the top 5, even with what I consider his misteps.

Ridley Scott's best movies are better than Cameron's, but Scott is also a much more hit or miss director. For my money, Cameron has never made a bad movie, he's only made 7, and all of them are great, when it comes to the kinds of films that he makes, Cameron is in a league of his own, nobody else can do what he does. Scott on the other hand, as much as I love many of his movies, there are several that I outright dislike.

But either way, Cameron is probably my favorite filmmaker of all time, and Scott would be in the top 5, even with what I consider his misteps.

:lecture Thats spot-on for me.

Alien Prequel – Paradise? – discussion thread

Now we can stop calling it the Alien prequel.

The official name of the Ridley Scott’s Alien prequel will be “Paradise,” according to Vulture.

Vulture also stated, “’Paradise’ reboots the original ‘Alien’ franchise, in that the story follows a group of space travelers who encounter a monstrous alien creature that picks them off, one by one.”

As for the push back release dates for the two-part prequel to 2013 and 2014—it is not true.

Sources at Fox told Vulture that Scriptflags.com’s report was a misunderstanding about the efforts to cast Leonardo DiCaprio for the prequels.

“Initially, there was some talk at Scott Free of pushing back production to accommodate DiCaprio’s schedule, so that he could shoot Clint Eastwood’s J. Edgar Hoover biopic back-to-back with Scott’s two part ‘Alien’ prequel,” wrote Vulture.

In addition, Vulture also mentioned that there was interest in actor Michael Fassbender to play “David,” an earlier version of Bishop’s android character. And actress Michelle Yeoh is being considered for “Vickers” part, a forty something, tough and sexy woman.

Other characters will include an older businessman and unnamed “Engineer 1,” which will be played by a six-foot-five-inch actor, but will be entirely CGI like Gollum in “The Lord of the Rings” film.

There is no official casting announcements at this time.

AlienDroolHansuediGiger.JPG

Last edited:
Re: Alien Prequel – Paradise – discussion thread

The Alien Prequel Is Titled Paradise?
And Michelle Yeoh could be involved...
Source: Vulture
We might finally be able to stop referring to Ridley Scott’s planned Alien prequels (at least the first one) by that working title. According to Vulture, the film is called Paradise.

And that’s not all that the blog’s sources have told them, as part of what can only be described as a dizzying info-dump. Despite earlier reports, the prequels have not been shoved back, though there had at one point been talk of re-scheduling production so as to accommodate chosen star Leonardo DiCaprio’s commitments to Clint Eastwood’s J Edgar Hoover biopic. DiCaprio is no longer involved and, as of right now, production for the new Alien adventure is pencilled in for March, assuming all the details can be worked out.

Talking of details, what of the plot? Well, the rough beats apparently constitute something of a return to the original Alien’s themes, with a monstrous creature killing off a group of space travellers. Many elements are still in flux since there’s no formal agreed budget yet, but Scott has been circling a few actors he wants beyond trying to cast the lead role of Elizabeth Shaw (which is the one both Olivia Wilde and Noomi Rapace have been considered frontrunners for).

Alongside Elizabeth, there’s a character named David, who appears to be a forerunner of Lance Henriksen’s Bishop character from Aliens, which Scott was after Michael Fassbender to play, but early talks are said to have broken down over money. And then there’s Vickers, described as “a tough, sexy forty-something woman” who may well end up looking very much like Michelle Yeoh, if Scott has his way. Oh, and one other character called Engineer 1 who will be created via performance capture and CGI.

But above all of that, the most shocking element is the big reveal of the Space Jockey's name: Theobald Worsely Mountebank Bagshawe III.*

There’s been no official confirmation of the info just yet (everyone looked really shocked in unison!), and all of this could be shoved into space via explosive decompression, but it certainly sounds intriguing…

*But if you buy that joke even for a second, we've got some lovely real estate on LV-426 we can sell you.

Not according to Collider

Yesterday, it looked as if we were getting a huge amount of info on Ridley Scott’s Alien prequel. Vulture reported that the film was called “Paradise”, and that Michael Fassbender (Inglourious Basterds) and Michelle Yeoh (Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon) were being offered roles. But last night, Chris Petrikin, 20th Century Fox’s Senior Vice President of Corporate Communications, took to the Twitter machine to make some clarifications. He first stated that the title is not “Paradise”. Presumably, “Paradise” could just be an alias for the production. It did seem odd that Fox would make an Alien movie and not put the word “Alien” in the title.

In other clarification news, The Playlist reports that according to a source who’s close to the production, the casting rumors regarding Fassbender and Yeoh are “just plain wrong.”

Though we've been hearing about the upcoming Alien prequels from director Ridley Scott for some time now, details have been few and far between. We've heard rumblings of a female Colonial Marine General, potential casting for that role and a reference to an alien that Scott has referred to as the Space Jockey, but other than that, we're pretty much in the dark. However, Vulture, who has been responsible for most of the scoops for these prequels, has a slew of new updates. First and foremost, let's give this sucker a title since the prequel has apparently been dubbed Paradise. But that's not all, because there's even more info below.

In addition to the new title, Vulture reveals that this prequel is more or less a reboot of the Alien franchise. It sounds like the story still takes place years before the events of Alien, but Paradise will once again with a group of isolated space travelers who find themselves face-to-face with a monstrous alien that begins killing the crew one right after the other. Hopefully this isn't a lifeless rehashing of the original, because that would render these prequels mostly irrelevant and be a waste of some talented actors. Speaking of actors, while no official offers have been made, there are plenty more names in the running.

We've already heard about Noomi Rapace and Natalie Portman being in the running for the lead female role of Elizabeth Shaw, but she's obviously not the only one facing off with these monsters. Much like the first film, Paradise also has an android character by the name of David which is said to be "an earlier version of the Bishop 341-B character that Lance Henriksen famously played in Aliens." Michael Fassbender (Inglourious Basterds) has been sought for that role, but apparently his agents/managers shot for the moon with their paycheck request, which kind of caught Sir Ridley Scott offguard, and the director may have changed his mind.

Though everyone's used to a strong female leading the charge against these aliens, there's room in space for more females. Apparently Scott is interested in giving the "tough but sexy" female role of Vickers to Michelle Yeoh (Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and Tomorrow Never Dies). She's not an obvious choice and she has quite the action background, so that's a plus. But perhaps the most interesting character that Vulture reveals is one that will be crafted entirely by digital effects, but brought to life by an actor through motion capture. While you may think mocap master Andy Serkis is perfect for the job, apparently the casting call is specifically looking for an actor who is six feeet, five inches tall.

While all this information sounds wholly intriguing, a recent Twitter update from 20th Century Fox's account has us skeptical. A studio rep updated their feed saying, "I don't know where to begin to correct what is being written about a certain Ridley Scott project…" It sounds like there might be some false information floating around, but no specific details have been debunked. Just to be safe, take these new details with a grain of salt until official word surfaces. Personally, I just want this to get into production already. At least the recent rumors of a production delay are untrue, so it looks like the first film will still see the light of day in the next year or two rather than 2013 or 2014. What do you think of this new information?

Update: Alien Prequel Rumors, Shoots in March
Published by Jeff Leins on December 8, 2010

Ridley Scott’s prequel to his own 1979 film Alien is tentatively titled (or subtitled?) Paradise and shoots in March 2011, according to a new report at Vulture. This comes in time to debunk erroneous rumors that Scott was pushing the release of his potentially two-part prequel back to 2013 and 2014.

Apparently, Vulture says, the delay rumor started because Scott sought his Body of Lies star Leonardo DiCaprio for the main male lead, but the actor was already tied up in his previous engagements on Clint Eastwood’s J. Edgar Hoover biopic. A delay was considered, but Fox is definitely pushing for the March 2011 start on at least one of the two 3D movies.

Update: It should be noted that Chris Petrikin, the Senior VP for Corporate Communication, said on his Twitter account Wednesday night that the movie is NOT called Paradise and it’s only one movie (for now?). Paradise is likely just the alias for the production, not the title or subtitle, and as long as Scott doesn’t pull a Cloverfield, we should wind up with a much more suitable moniker on the marquee.

The story is a reboot of sorts that focuses on a new crew of humanoids besieged by a single “monstrous alien creature” that picks them off one by one. An earlier look at the script, written by Jon Spaights and revised by “Lost” producer Damon Lindelof, hinted at an alien race called “Growers” that specialize in terraforming, which transformers a planet into a livable atmosphere.

Casting discussions have begun (hence the widespread rumors of Hollywood A-listers like Anne Hathaway), but no offers have been made until the studio agrees on a budget.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo star Noomi Rapace remains the front-runner for Elizabeth Shaw, a Ripley-like lead character at the center of the prequel 35 years before Sigourney Weaver’s iconic character is terrorized in space. Other names mentioned for the role have been Natalie Portman, Carey Mulligan, Olivia Wilde, and Gemma Arterton.

Scott also wants rising star Michael Fassbender for the role of David, an android precursor to the Bishop character played by Lance Henriksen, and Michelle Yeoh for Vickers, a tough-but-sexy woman with shades of Pvt. Vasquez (played by Jenette Goldstein in Aliens). Other parts include a “businessman along for the ride” and Engineer 1, a character that could be completely motion-captured.

The Playlist is also reporting Fassbender and Yeoh’s names in the mix are “just plain wrong.” Again, none of these names are locked in and many of them are likely your typical talent agent jockeying. You’ll know as soon as we do.

To me Leonardo is like Wolf, lots of people like him, but i just can't stand him and i don't know why..

Theres only one thing I can definitively say I don't want to see in the Alien prequel and thats a bada$$ female lead/Ripley clone. Hence me hating that Natalie Portman military General rumour. Lets have a male survivor this time...assuming there is in fact humans in this film.

Theres only one thing I can definitively say I don't want to see in the Alien prequel and thats a bada$$ female lead/Ripley clone. Hence me hating that Natalie Portman military General rumour. Lets have a male survivor this time...assuming there is in fact humans in this film.
Agreed. Ripley is Ripley. This new movie should carve itself a brand new protagonist that isn't simply a Ripley replacement.

To me Leonardo is like Wolf, lots of people like him, but i just can't stand him and i don't know why..

I dont know why either...the Wolf is a terrible creation, and Leo is one of the best actors working today. :dunno

Back