Official "Ridley Scott's Prometheus" Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not making any of it up really. They're just conclusions I come to based on what is shown to me in the movie.

:slap

i.e. they're YOUR conclusions. How is that hard for you to get!?

If I show you a square I drew and tell you "it's a house" and then you state "it's a house" afterwards as a fact you're correct because that was my intent when I created it and I, as the creator, told you so.

But if I show you a square I drew and tell you "it's whatever you want it to be" and then you state "it's a house" afterwards as a fact you're wrong because that's your impression of it. You might see a house, someone else might simply see a square, someone else might see a box, etc. The only person who knows for a fact what it is would be me, as the creator. So if I'm vague about it then there's no definitive answer.

Which also brings up another BS thing about stuff like this in movies: as the creator, being vague and not committing allows me the opportunity to retroactively explain my creation (in another film) after seeing input from people who've seen it i.e. my original intent could've been simply "it's a house" but after seeing people come up with ideas infinitely more creative than mine I could simply state "yeah, it's what all those people said it was. Yup. Exactly what I thought when I made it."

funny-cat-fight.jpg

:slap

If I show you a square I drew and tell you "it's a house" and then you state "it's a house" afterwards as a fact you're correct because that was my intent when I created it and I, as the creator, told you so.

But if I show you a square I drew and tell you "it's whatever you want it to be" and then you state "it's a house" afterwards as a fact you're wrong because that's your impression of it. You might see a house, someone else might simply see a square, someone else might see a box, etc. The only person who knows for a fact what it is would be me, as the creator. So if I'm vague about it then there's no definitive answer.

Which also brings up another BS thing about stuff like this in movies: as the creator, being vague and not committing allows me the opportunity to retroactively explain my creation (in another film) after seeing input from people who've seen it i.e. my original intent could've been simply "it's a house" but after seeing people come up with ideas infinitely more creative than mine I could simply state "yeah, it's what all those people said it was. Yup. Exactly what I thought when I made it."

Excellent post, sums up my thoughts exactly.
:goodpost:

It's not like you have to make things up out of thin air, the film gives you ideas. You get hints/clues...and you mold them into your own theories.

But even then, everything seemed pretty simple to me. :dunno

It's not a good enough movie to warrant even forming your own theories IMO. For something to inspire broader thought and self theorising it needs to have a sophisticated and intellectual narrative/plot.

Prometheus was just badly written.

There was nothing narratively challenging in there. If you find it challenging or inspiring, then I would say that's more of a reflection of you than the movie. I really hate when bad writing is over intellectualised into pretentious writing by the unsophicated mind.

I still loved it though.

^ It's an Alien movie, therefore it has more value for me to dig in then a movie about gay cowboys eating pudding.

Now...not saying I disagree, calling it badly written. I'm just saying I had more fun digging into this movie...then well....any movie.

But like I said, that's just me. The Alien series is the most important unimportant thing in my life. :D

^ It's an Alien movie, therefore it has more value for me to dig in then a movie about gay cowboys eating pudding.

Now...not saying I disagree, calling it badly written. I'm just saying I had more fun digging into this movie...then well....any movie.

But like I said, that's just me. The Alien series is the most important unimportant thing in my life. :D

Don't get me wrong.. I loved it, I was completely Prometheus crazy in the lead up to the movie, and I really enjoyed it, went to see it several times.

But I loved it because it was Ridley Scott doing sci-fi, I loved it because it was "alien" and I think was the most beautifully designed Sci-fi movie in a very very long time.

..but the script was awful IMO. That was the only question I had coming out of the first screening..."How did anyone let this script go unchanged?".

Clumsy, over simplistic and really trying too hard. It's pretty funny to me when people think it was high brow in any way.

I just hate it when people try to over intellectualise badly written material, it's not just this movie, Nolan's Batman movies are similar at times..

But did I have a good movie experience? **** yeah. 3D Blu is on pre-order!

:lol

Last edited:
They're my conclusions, based on what hints and clues are given to me in the film. When Janek says "It's a weapons facility. **** in the vases is bad." and David says "to create one must first destroy." <---talking about the engineers trip to earth...to DESTROY. WITH THE OOZE. IN THE VASES. THOUSANDS ON THEIR SHIP.

IT'S NOT SOMETHING I'M MAKING UP!

.......how is that hard for YOU to get?

What did you think the black ooze was, Devil? You personally. Because EVERYTHING that is said and shown to us in the film points to the fact that it's a bioweapon. A CHARACTER IN THE FILM EVEN COMES OUT AND STATES THAT. How more clear can you get?

I guess thinking that uncle Owen is Luke's uncle is just..."MY" conclusion. Right??? It's still up for debate I guess???

Is it just my theory that Apone was in command? Is it just something I made up?

How do we know Apone is in command? Because everything we see of him and his relationship with the marines makes it kind of obvious.

How do we know the black ooze is a bioweapon? Once again, because it's obvious. A character. In the film. Even comes out and says that the black ooze is a weapon.

But we didn't even need him to tell us...if we pay attention to what's taking place in the film, what the black ooze has done and what the engineer's intentions (supposedly) were..we can easily figure it out for ourselves. The fact that Janek even comes out and gives us the answer, and people STILL DON'T UNDERSTAND baffles me.

If you drew a square, I'd think it was a square.

If you drew a square with windows, triangle on top, picket fence and bushes...I'd say "That looks like a house."

Black ooze...the fact that it turned everything into a killing machine (windows), the engineers were taking this ship to destroy human life on earth (bushes), the ship was loaded with thousands of urns containing the black liquid (picket fence), Janek comes out and says... "Hey guys, I think this **** is a bioweapon" (triangle on top)

I'd say... "Yeah, that definitely looks like a bioweapon."

It's not a good enough movie to warrant even forming your own theories IMO. For something to inspire broader thought and self theorising it needs to have a sophisticated and intellectual narrative/plot.

Prometheus was just badly written.

There was nothing narratively challenging in there. If you find it challenging or inspiring, then I would say that's more of a reflection of you than the movie. I really hate when bad writing is over intellectualised into pretentious writing by the unsophicated mind.

I still loved it though.
I'm not saying Prometheus was an incredibly sophisticated/intellectual movie with all of these amazing hidden meanings...because it wasn't. I wish it had been, that would have been nice..but it wasn't. By any means.

I'm just talking about the very simple and what I hope for everyone would be obvious conclusions.

How did David open the alien doors? He's a robot.
Why did charlie have a frowning face? He was disappointed.
Why did the engineer kill the crew of humans? They were human.

doy

The two dudes who got killed by the hammerpede were dumb throw away characters who were not handled very well but were disposed of quite early in the narrative. The rest of the movie was breathtaking.

That is all.

The two dudes who got killed by the hammerpede were dumb throw away characters who were not handled very well but were disposed of quite early in the narrative. The rest of the movie was breathtaking.

That is all.

Did you like Guy Pearce playing an old fart from Seasame Street?
Did you?

:lol

Name one single "bioweapon" that creates life. I'll wait. :rolleyes:
What do you mean?

Are you referring to whatever the engineer drank in the beginning?

If so, how the hell do you know that was the same black liquid?

The black ooze in the urns is a bioweapon. End of story.

...unless the sequel changes that :lol

Back