Official "Ridley Scott's Prometheus" Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This movie isn't 1/10 as smart as Blade Runner or as end-to-end engaging with good characters like The Thing.

Great visuals, design, production values and 2-3 awesome performances, though. It's not awful. It's just far from great.

Re: Prometheus - Spoiler thread!

Yeah. People thought Blade Runner was retarded too.

Point is, this movie isn't deep. It's just vague. It lets you put the pieces together. Probably wouldn't be fun for random audience member who thinks Aliens is about Marines, and Ripley. But it's so much fun for people like me, who dove deep into the Alien lore, and know all the movie canon acceptable, in's and outs of the series.

So whatever. I've had more fun talking about this flick then any other movie. And I love it even more when the people who don't like it ask questions, and I try to answer using the evidence in the film. It's really, really fun.

I could care less about the people who go "Boo, it sucks meh", because they're not worth anyone's time.
Lets discuss it's flaws, and pick it apart. Because that's what Scott wanted to do.

What I want to know, is where do dinosaurs fit into the Engineers to humans chain of creation on Earth?

Yeah, this theory that they actually did create us by seeding our planet with one Engineer's DNA doesn't hold up. How does his DNA create the whole process of evolution from single celled organism all the way up to man (however many millions of years later) who ends up being a perfect DNA match, yet doesn't have the same size or appearance?

I think the whole "created man" theory is meant to be a conclusion that the scientists in Prometheus mistakenly jumped to. It all makes a little more sense then. Maybe the invitations in the ancient civilizations were also actually warnings.

Or, they're using us for the bioweapons to fight the Xenomorph.

I think they already exist.

I agree that somewhere out there, the xenos have already happened. My only problem then is, Engineers are so much bigger than any Xenos we've seen (except the Queen), so how were they much of a threat to them, unless a Xeno from them is considerably bigger, which may be suggested by the size of the protoxeno.

Last edited:

^ I think the life on this planet happened normally. However, we, the human beings, were brought here.

Monkey's too. :D

Imagine an Dinoxeno.:drool

I've wanted to see that since those crappy Hasbro toys in the 90's that included such nonsense as Snake and Bull Aliens.:lol

A T-rex Alien might be badass though. Oh, wait, I think AVP's Queen already showed us what that might be like and it sucked. Nevermind.

Happens now. :lol

But anyone, we don't live like the Space Jockey's do. Hence why, we may have a 100% DNA match, but we aint no Jockey.

Sci Fi stuff.

The Engineer is the missing link.

DUN DUN DUN

Yeah, this theory that they actually did create us by seeding our planet with one Engineer's DNA doesn't hold up. How does his DNA create the whole process of evolution from single celled organism all the way up to man (however many millions of years later) who ends up being a perfect DNA match, yet doesn't have the same size or appearance?
I think the whole "created man" theory is meant to be a conclusion that the scientists in Prometheus mistakenly jumped to. It all makes a little more sense then. Maybe the invitations in the ancient civilizations were also actually warnings.

I think you read into that "perfect match" One human to another human is not going to be 100% match. They didn't go into what actual percentage was to be considered a match, might have been enough that a monkey would be considered a match with us as well. Plus think of how this works, just because a monkey shares 95+% ish with us doesn't mean they're 95+% our size or 95+% looking like us.

I think you read into that "perfect match" One human to another human is not going to be 100% match. They didn't go into what actual percentage was to be considered a match, might have been enough that a monkey would be considered a match with us as well. Plus think of how this works, just because a monkey shares 95+% ish with us doesn't mean they're 95+% our size or 95+% looking like us.

I got the distinct impression it was being presented to us as though the Engineers were genetically the same species.

So is the "goo" thing really just an uninspired, non-creative, cop-out kind of thing?

BB

I don't see how. It's a alien bio weapon. The only being that knows how to use it, is something that can't speak english.

It turns ____ into weapons. That's it's purpose. That's all it does.

I got the distinct impression it was being presented to us as though the Engineers were genetically the same species.

If you follow any of the major genetics blogs, theres human remains of certain areas with less genetic match technically than the aforementioned monkeys, but they're still human and thus a match as humans. I think it was just to show the crew as we saw in the beginning that we did actually come from the rib of Adam. Adam just happened to be an alien and it was shown in the beginning sequence underwater that the DNA was altering to a degree. It wasn't an exercise of cloning.

The way it's edited, it does seem like they are saying the Engineer at the beginning is seeding the planet, but given the nature of the events that take place in the movie, and Shaw admitting that she was "so wrong" about the Engineers "inviting them", I think you're right that it was to start genocide.

Besides that, one thing people don't seem to be connecting is that the world shown at the beginning, that people pressume is Earth, looks exactly like the LV 223 when they arrive there. Maybe that opening event was never on Earth?

That's a good point. I never thought of the opening planet as earth and the fact this black goo created us and all of life's creatures is pretty uninspiring. I think our current theory of evolution with molecules and cells and such is much more interesting.

BB

I see the black fluid as a substance that creates life through destruction. In other words, whatever it comes in contact with turns into a parasite, with the exception of the Engineers (with them, it's more of a sacrifice that doesn't depend on a secondary host/victim). Kind of like what CelticPredator said.Those maggots in the dome turned into parasitic organisms. Charlie turned into a parasitic organism without knowing it (impregnating Elizabeth with the original facehugger). The only good that could possibly come of it lies with the Engineers.

Re: Prometheus Q&A (SPOILERS)

That wasn't the queen being born at the end? I assumed it was and that this was a direct prequel to alien, ie.; the queen sets up house in the crashed ship and lays all her eggs, then Alien 1 happens

I was thinking along those lines also but then I remembered hearing the Queen Alien was never Ridley's idea, it was all Cameron's, so that probably isn't the Queen and now I'm finding out that the ship and Jockey isn't the same derelict ship and dead jockey we see in Alien so....:thud:

BB

Why does every one think it's a queen? Doesn't look at all like a queen. And not every Alien that is birthed is a queen.

It's just a normal Alien thing. :D

And you just found out? It was never going to be that.

Back