Official "Ridley Scott's Prometheus" Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Alien remake/reboot is GO

In T2, Arnold is lowered into hot metal and destroyed and hot lead is poured on the Alien. Both movies were in production at the same time but due to production delays (read producer/studio interferance) T2 arrived first. The ending to Alien 3 was then reshot so the alien now leaps from the lead and explodes in the cold shower.

I think the reason I posted was not because people like Alien 3 because you're entitled too. I think it's because I love Aliens and that should have been the end of Ripley's story.
I just feel Alien 3 should have not had Ripley in it, and the fact she is in Alien 3 seems like a Hollywood studio decision. And don't get me started on Alien Resurrection, I hate that movie even more.
And you have to admit the T2 ending and Alien3 ending are very similar. Oh. and the T2 style ending is not crappy I just got carried away

Cool. I respect your opinion. I like where they took A3 but I also understand wanting to cap it off with Aliens. At least there's one thing we can agree on. Alien is flawless.

Aliens did not have a Hollywood happy ending, it had a perfect story arc. Just because some people survived at the end it's not Hollywood. It made you care about all the characters, and it had a perfect ending because most people were pleased to see Ripley's nightmare is over. Her daughter has died and Newt's family have died, Bishop is messed up and Hicks is the only survivor of his squad, is that not enough suffering?
Alien 3 dumps on all of that, first the ridiculous fact that there are eggs on the ship at the start. How the ^^^^ did they get on there ? No matter how hard I look at the Alien Queen, she is not holding any eggs, and why would she if she's chasing Ripley? Even if the queen had eggs she had no time to place them as she appears from under the shuttle straight away. Crap actors shouting Wan**r all the time, crap effects, crappy Terminator 2 ending, and the guy that survives, I could not give a dam about.
I could go on and on about how much I hate Alien 3.

You are dead on about this and I think guys like to fool themselves about Alien 3. It's shot nice and thats about it. I think because Fincher has gone on to become a great director people justify Alien 3. It never should have been made period.
I'm really glad S Weaver is not in this new movie. The only way to bring her back is when she wakes up at 60 years old and Ripley goes wow what a bad dream I just had that is Alien 3 and 4.

Agreed, Alien 3 brought something to the franchise that the other two did not, so lets not forget about its contribution to the series. The first two had happy endings, Ripley kills the Alien and is good to go, in Aliens even Bishop survives along with Newt and Hicks and it's your typical 'oedipal' hollywood ending, a family is born. Alien 3 however was strictly anti-oedipal and was more comparable to a tragedy like Antigone. The chase scenes were OK but it tried pretty decently to recapture what worked about the first film while introducing this new bleak tone.

As far as prequel, please no Alien home planet and hopefully not a story of genesis UNLESS somehow they tie in the Company into the creation of the Alien somehow...it wouldn't be canon exactly but there could be some way of tying up the Company's interest in the creature and perhaps its role in its creation. I'd really prefer to have a situation similar to Alien just chronologically beforehand. I don't want the Action bonanza that was Aliens but the hermetically sealed terror of the first and third. Then again Scott said he wanted to explore the Space Jockeys but I think it was more of a second thought than anything else, just musing on what might be explored in a prequel.

Hopefully he'll have a story that nobody would expect. I would love to feel the way I did when I walked out of the first two movies again. You know the WOW what a great movie feel. I can't wait to see the monster and hopefully get to sculpt it.

You are dead on about this and I think guys like to fool themselves about Alien 3. It's shot nice and thats about it. I think because Fincher has gone on to become a great director people justify Alien 3. It never should have been made period.
I'm really glad S Weaver is not in this new movie. The only way to bring her back is when she wakes up at 60 years old and Ripley goes wow what a bad dream I just had that is Alien 3 and 4.

Why can't I just like certain things about the movie, especially things that set it apart from Aliens without being a figment of my imagination? Maybe you're fooling yourself? See how easy that was to say? I think it's really a matter of taste and I'll leave it at that. We can all look forward to the new film though so I'll get back on topic now.

Hopefully he'll have a story that nobody would expect. I would love to feel the way I did when I walked out of the first two movies again. You know the WOW what a great movie feel. I can't wait to see the monster and hopefully get to sculpt it.

Good stuff, back on topic, sorry about adding to the deviations. I agree, it would be great to get something out of left field, there are so many angles to approach this especially with the originator at the helm. It would be a real achievement to get that WOW feeling again, it's something that I haven't really felt since the Dark Knight and that was LAST SUMMER. Action/sci-fi seems to be just barely crawling out of its dark age.

I disagree. I'm NOT fooling myself. I happened to enjoy Alien 3 when it was released and enjoyed the workprint version even more. How I feel about the movie has nothing to do with Fincher's later career.

Agreed.

Last edited:

Now that I think of it...
they should probably use Giger's original design... and not request Giger to redesign it...
remember his version for Alien 3?...
I though it was cool as a stand alone design, but kind of crappy compared to the original one...
And I wonder if Scott will even ask him to be involved, and if so, would he accept?...

I disagree. I'm NOT fooling myself. I happened to enjoy Alien 3 when it was released and enjoy it the workprint version even more. How I feel about the movie has nothing to do with Fincher's later career.

I'm right with you on this, I was happy with the film when I left the theater.
I get the feeling that a lot of people who hate Alien 3 had expectations that the sequel to Aliens would continue with the same action film formula rather then take the tone of the film back to being more of a claustrophobic horror film.

I hope the new prequel doesn't have Ripley, although Weaver couldn't be in it, they still could bring the character back played by a younger actress.

Now that I think of it...
they should probably use Giger's original design... and not request Giger to redesign it...
remember his version for Alien 3?...
I though it was cool as a stand alone design, but kind of crappy compared to the original one...
And I wonder if Scott will even ask him to be involved, and if so, would he accept?...

Scott has said in the past he wanted Giger back. I think Giger would love to be back to work with Scott and Scott wants to make a new monster. As great as the Alien is it was the best move to bring something new to the table with the Queen. I would love to see the Alien back and look the way it did in the first movie but it would be great to get a new monster or two to go along with it. I just hope Scott has a great script to work with. Man I really can't wait for this one.
I think Giger works best when Scott art directs him. Giger didn't want the Alien to have the tubes and its back. Not a good move.
as far as Alien 3 goes it's cool some people like it. Funny to me that Sigourney Weaver wants to do another one and she was the one that wanted to kill the whole thing off. I'm glad Fox knows the way to go now is to say bye bye Weaver we'll get the man that made Alien what it is. Way to go Fox. Too bad they snubbed Cameron and Scott both in 2003 to go and do AVP. Bad move and I bet they know it now. Thank the heavens Scott will be back.

Alien 3 kicks ass. ^^^^ Hicks and Newt. Them dying brought a huge edge to the series. And one of the most moving ends to a trilogy ever.

I would love to see the Alien back and look the way it did in the first movie but it would be great to get a new monster or two to go along with it.

I really like that idea tankman. The original Alien and some new Giger creations. :banana

I'm hoping the story will revolve around events that alerted the Weyland Yutani company to the Alien rather than explore the origins of the derelict and the Space Jockey.

Scott has said in the past he wanted Giger back. I think Giger would love to be back to work with Scott and Scott wants to make a new monster. As great as the Alien is it was the best move to bring something new to the table with the Queen. I would love to see the Alien back and look the way it did in the first movie but it would be great to get a new monster or two to go along with it.

I'm fine with solid new creatures, expand perhaps upon the social structure of the xenomorphs like the Queen, just as long as the designs are faithful to the first Alien like Winston kept the queen, nothing like that horrendous newborn from Resurrection.

I'm right with you on this, I was happy with the film when I left the theater.
I get the feeling that a lot of people who hate Alien 3 had expectations that the sequel to Aliens would continue with the same action film formula rather then take the tone of the film back to being more of a claustrophobic horror film.

I hope the new prequel doesn't have Ripley, although Weaver couldn't be in it, they still could bring the character back played by a younger actress.

I can see where you guys are coming from but Alien 3 isn't scary and the film makers admit to it. I think a lot of people would expect a movie after Aliens to be a great movie. Alien 3 isn't scary or action packed. I haven't look yet but I bet on Rotten Tomatoes Alien 3 scores maybe 30% while Aliens gets 100%. Aliens is one of the all time great movies and helped make the Allien franchise. Heck Sigourney got an Academy Aword nomination for that film. It was scary and action packed. Great stuff. Alien 3 just a downer the way most people would look at it I would think. It is shot great and you can see that a great film make was behind a movie called development hell.

I just can't believe it's taking Fox all these years to know they need Ridley back. I hope Ridley will have all his heart into this project. Alien shocked people and it's kind of hard to do that now days. Alien 3 did it too. I remember eveybody was shocked that Hicks and Newt were dead.

I just can't believe it's taking Fox all these years to know they need Ridley back.

Even if not Ridley, a director that shows a strong potential, a solid story/script, and budget.

The AVP films strike me as getting just enough resources to be made, but not enough to be made into anything as strong as the first couple films in the respective franchises.

It would seem Fox may now understand that such efforts might do alright for them at the box office, but stronger efforts could really pay off for them.

I'm fine with solid new creatures, expand perhaps upon the social structure of the xenomorphs like the Queen, just as long as the designs are faithful to the first Alien like Winston kept the queen, nothing like that horrendous newborn from Resurrection.

I hear that and Alien R wasn't a good move at all to make that movie. I bet Sigourney was very happy to get her 12 million dollars she got payed. She wants to make another movie now that she has nothing else. She should have thought about the future back when she wanted no more Alien in 1992. Fox now knows a movie follow up the Resurrection isn't a good move. Good for Fox they got their head out of their back ends. Lets just hope Ridley will make another great movie.

Back