Official Indiana Jones Replica Gear Discussion Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Indiana Jones Replica Fedora

The officially licensed Dorfman Pacific hat is decent, especially after being heavily weathered. Not 100% accurate, but nice enough. It works well with the Wested jacket, which I also have. But of course, I think everyone who gets into Indy costuming wants to get the AB or the Akubra. I know I do. :lol

For now though, I'm just happy to have a Wested. That jacket is freakin awesome. If I had the accurate shoes and the hat, I'd be set. But damn are they expensive.

I know of a seller who has the Alden shoes for $270. Pricey, yes, but almost $100 less than anywhere else.

And U.S. Wings now has an INDY jacket made from the same exact run of leather that the jackets for the KOTCS production were made from. I've ordered one of those as well. :rock

Could a mod perhaps change this thread to be "Indiana Jones Replica Outfit"? I don't see why we can't cover all the bases here.

Thanks for the link on the Magnoli HJs...do they already have those in-stock? Or do they have to send them to Steve to get them blocked and everything?

BTW - Whats the best place you all recommend for an Akubra?

Bardoon, since you started the thread I believe you can rename it in "Advanced" edit mode on your initial post.

I say name it "Indy Replica Gear Discussion", since we can cover other things like the MKVII bag, replica artifacts, whips, the guns, etc.

I did it but I don't know if it necessarily changes the thread title.

You can see where it did end up changing. Right below the green line on my initial post.

The HJs have to be sent to Steve but the turn around time was a lot faster than having Steve make one, I'd say about 7-8 weeks to get mine.

I've wanted to get a Wested jacket, only SA part of the outfit I'm missing, but I'm leaning towards a less expensive US made version. Plus I hear that the stitching quality on the wested varies from jacket to jacket, and I'm not sure yet if I want to get one in lamb, goat or cow. Lamb is SA but awfully thin and easily damaged. Still not sure if I want to distress it or not.

I managed to get a 1942 MKVII gasmask bag and pair of Aldens that I absolutely love. My whip is cow not kangaroo but it is 12 plait and 8' which looks and coils and cracks great. Thought about getting a 10' er but after having the 8' think that would be overkill.

I did it but I don't know if it necessarily changes the thread title.

You can see where it did end up changing. Right below the green line on my initial post.
Hmm... perhaps it's time-sensitive then, because I've changed a title like that before. No worries, I'll send a PM to Cummins and have him change it.

I managed to get a 1942 MKVII gasmask bag and pair of Aldens that I absolutely love. My whip is cow not kangaroo but it is 12 plait and 8' which looks and coils and cracks great. Thought about getting a 10' er but after having the 8' think that would be overkill.

My whip is actually cow as well, but I was able to work with it and weather it to look just right.

It's 9', which I actually think is a bit too long. I know 10' is the proper length, but I'd actually rather have 8' like yours.

They used both 8' and 10' for Raiders. 8' for cracking, most notably in the Streets of Cairo, 10' for coiling on the belt n such so both are correct. 9' is a nice compromise between the two and I thought about getting one that length as well but opted to save a couple of bucks. The 8' still looks very good on the belt if you coil it properly. Mine is a bit light for a SA Raiders, but I'm ok with that and was unsure about attacking it with the dye and shoe polish. At Halloween last year the turks head kept slipping down and I had to futz with it every now and again which was annoying. I wondered if it would be better or worse with a longer whip. Getting a SA white hide fall was a pain though. Several whip makers I looked at didn't have any.

As requested, Lonnie has changed the title of the thread. :rock

Back on topic... I'll soon be completing my 2nd Indy costume, as I'm expecting RAIDERS-specific shirt and pants to arrive in a couple of weeks.

Where'd you get your pants?

I got some Magnoli ones and I love them.

These are from Magnoli as well (the shirt too). :rock

It'll help me to complete a RAIDERS outfit, wheras my other one is more of an amalgam of his costume from the other films (kinda like Indy's Crystal Skull get up).

Awesome :rock

The Magnoli pants are probably the best made pair of any pants I own. I love the accurate details. Congrats.

Awesome :rock

The Magnoli pants are probably the best made pair of any pants I own. I love the accurate details. Congrats.

Magnoli is wonderful. I've dealt with him in the past. Easy to deal with and you always know you are getting the best quality and service.

And, OT, but your avatar reminds me that I need to head out and buy TWBB. Now.

New INDY Hat Brochure from Dorfman-Pacific, courtesy of TMTI:

brochure_1.jpg

brochure_2.jpg

brochure_3.jpg

brochure_4.jpg

Lamb is SA but awfully thin and easily damaged. Still not sure if I want to distress it or not.

I've had my lamb Wested for 4 years of constant abuse, and I can swear to you that the lamb is pretty durable. I don't baby it at all, and it's got no real scuff marks or snags in it at all. Plus it's an amazing, soft, and suple leather you'll absolutely love. And it hangs better and looks more authentic because it is so thin... You'll want the dark brown, though, because though the light brown may be SA, it looks nothing like the jacket in the film.

However, you absolutely have to distress it. It comes out of the box with a glossy shine on it that makes it look absolutely nothing like Indy's jacket. It looks like pleather, or something. At the very least, you'll need to remove the shine with acetone, or rubbing alcohol. While you're doing that, you may as well get some fine grit sandpaper and touch up the seams a little. Then you may as well add some scuff marks, scratches, etc and so on, but BEWARE! Once you've started down the distressing path, forever will it dominate your destiny!

This was last Halloween... Gad I love Indy stuff!

b9c3784d.jpg

Yeah nice picture!

I'm personally not so interested in a SA jacket with all the scuff marks and scratches. I don't really want to spend $300 on a jacket dunk it in water and take acetone and sandpaper to it. Plus I've just heard too many stories about cuts and nicks that appear on lamb skin jackets at COW which isn't such a big deal if you go the distressing route. I've seen other lamb jackets in person and just don't care for how thin they are. I'm leaning towards goat or horse hide, something thick I can be pulled under a truck wearing. :D

Back