Official Diamond Select 18" Star Wars Figure Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is a shame about Vader being cancelled. That was the only one I was considering getting. It seems like an odd figure to cancel as vader has the best chance of selling, compared to any other character

Yeah, but a lot of sculpted pieces on Vader would mean increased costs... so likely not worth the gamble given the overall suckiness of the series.

According to the Art Asylum blog from July 21st, the Vader has been canceled and the line is "on hold".

That announcement blows...

Donkeys_11-05_018.jpg

I *almost* bought Darth Maul as an entry into this line. Good thing I didn't then, with that news (don't really want Maul to be all by himself). Doesn't sound too positive. Anyone thinking this "on hold" business might mean indefinitely?

I'm still kind of looking forward to the Mos Eisley Han Solo, just to see how it turns out. Still reckon Diamond Select do Han's likeness pretty well. Never really could get behind SSC's versions, at least in 1/6.

Here is the quote from the ArtAsylum Blog where I asked the question, and it really does suck about Vader:

"Eric Hulgan

What happened to the UQS Han Solo Mos Eisley and Luke Tat? All of the stores are canceling preorders and not taking any new preorders for them. Is the line dead? And does this mean that we can forget Darth Vader as well?

DSTChuck: Darth Vader has been canceled. Han and ObiWan will be in stores in September."

Here is the quote from the ArtAsylum Blog where I asked the question, and it really does suck about Vader:

"Eric Hulgan

What happened to the UQS Han Solo Mos Eisley and Luke Tat? All of the stores are canceling preorders and not taking any new preorders for them. Is the line dead? And does this mean that we can forget Darth Vader as well?

DSTChuck: Darth Vader has been canceled. Han and ObiWan will be in stores in September."

They found out that they couldn't produce the Vader at the original pricepoint and probably they just weren't selling enough of the figures in general.

In most cases, "on hold" = "cancelled"

:lecture:lecture:lecture Because in most cases people are too chicken____ to just admit it.

Well if that's the case, it's pretty misleading and cowardly. Maybe they don't wanna play the final card if they think there's a chance, however minuscule, of revisiting the line in the future. Pretty stupid way of playing your cards though, 'cause now my interest level has just dropped. Nothing turns me away more than a company who doesn't let their target market know what's going on, not just for toys, but anything at all.

I emailed Diamond Select Toys about three weeks ago to ask about the status of the Mos Eisley Han Solo. They never got back to me. Not even a CSR saying they'll have more info soon. Would've thought they'd want people to be interested in - and buying - their stuff? Pfft.

But whatever, guess people just weren't buying enough of these figures and they decided to pull the plug. That's a bit of a shame, really. They were a nice alternative to the SSC stuff for some people. Wish they'd all been as nice as Maul, though.

How long has the UQS Star Wars line been going anyway?

Oh, folks were talking about it being on hold so I thought I would quote it to clarify. Plus I finally got a question answered so I couldn't pass up the chance to show it off :lol .

That was the second part I quoted was that the line was considered on hold.

Well if that's the case, it's pretty misleading and cowardly. Maybe they don't wanna play the final card if they think there's a chance, however minuscule, of revisiting the line in the future. Pretty stupid way of playing your cards though, 'cause now my interest level has just dropped. Nothing turns me away more than a company who doesn't let their target market know what's going on, not just for toys, but anything at all.

Just FYI, Sideshow says the same thing about lines being "on hold."

Just FYI, Sideshow says the same thing about lines being "on hold."

Oh, for sure. Many companies do it, and not just limited to toys. Doesn't make me think any differently, though. Honesty is the best policy when you want your customers to really get behind you and believe in your products, no matter what it is that you make/sell/provide.

"On hold" should mean it's temporarily stopped.
"On hold indefinitely" is the same as saying "Cancelled", which is why I never understood companies who use that term, but whatever. At least it's much clearer.

agree with shocktrooper, the vader was the only potential draw to the line. the bodies, IMO, were just too thin and scrawny.

Back