NOT GOOD: New Line's Bob Shaye on PJ

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From Ain't-it-cool-news, Peter Jackson and Wingnut have made an official response to Shaye's statements:

"Our issue with New Line Cinema has only ever been about their refusal to account for financial anomalies that surfaced from a partial audit of The Fellowship of the Ring. Contrary to recent comments made by Bob Shaye, we attempted to discuss the issues raised by the Fellowship audit with New Line for over a year but the studio was and continues to be completely uncooperative. This has compelled us to file a lawsuit to pursue our contractual rights under the law. Nobody likes taking legal action, but the studio left us with no alternative.

For over two years, New Line has denied us the ability to audit The Two Towers and The Return of the King, despite repeated requests. Film auditing is a common and straightforward practice within the industry and we don't understand why New Line Cinema has taken this position.

In light of these circumstances, I didn't think it was appropriate for me to be involved in New Line Cinema's 40th Anniversary video. I have never discussed this video with any of the cast of The Lord of the Rings. The issues that Bob Shaye has with the cast pre-date this law suit by many years.

Fundamentally, our legal action is about holding New Line to it's contractual obligations and promises. It is regrettable that Bob has chosen to make it personal. I have always had the highest respect and affection for Bob and other senior management at New Line and continue to do so."

NL is losing the PR Battle IMO and they are doing whatever they can. I don't think NL will get it off the ground in time before Zanetz gets it back.

I agree with Douglass in his post. As a Teacher I know PJ's impact on LOTR in today's culture and he hit it on the head.

DouglasMcc said:
...PJ brought Lord of the Rings back from the brink of obscurity...

PJ + Weta + New Line + Viggo Mortensen + Ian McKellan + Sala Baker + etc... brought Lord of the Rings back to the forefront, that I agree with 100%! :rock

Fritz said:
PJ + Weta + New Line + Viggo Mortensen + Ian McKellan + Sala Baker + etc... brought Lord of the Rings back to the forefront, that I agree with 100%! :rock
rockstar.gif
rockstar.gif
rockstar.gif

Fritz said:

I didn't mean to imply that PJ was the sole reason for the LOTR re-emergence as a cultural powerhouse. But he started it all. He pushed and pushed for years before any studio was willing to give his vision a chance. He was the main force behind picking talents such as McKellan and Mortensen, who went on to BECOME our childhood heroes. Not sure if everyone remembers, but people bashed him viciously when it was revealed that Viggo had been chosen for Strider. "Ah man, they picked the G.I. Jane dude?!? This movie will sux." ... the flames flicked higher and higher for months. But PJ stuck behind the casting and now, I truly cannot image a single named actor other than Viggo who could have become Strider.

PJ may not have been the sole person, but he certainly was the heart and soul. I truly doubt the trilogy would have ever been made without his dedication.

DouglasMcc said:
...PJ may not have been the sole person, but he certainly was the heart and soul....

I agree, I don't think there is any doubt.

...I truly doubt the trilogy would have ever been made without his dedication.

Remember it was New Line that wanted a Trilogy. PJ's inital script was for two movies. Who knows how PJ's initial script would have turned out.

Fritz said:
I agree, I don't think there is any doubt.

Remember it was New Line that wanted a Trilogy. PJ's inital script was for two movies. Who knows how PJ's initial script would have turned out.

I cannot remember where, but I do remember reading back in between the releases of TTT and ROTK an interview where they actual brought this point up. Peter Jackson's response was that he did not think he could get a commitment for 3 films. That's why he went into the pitches with the 2 film concept. I will give NL credit for seeing the wisdom of 3 films. Cutting 3 hours from the masterpieces we already have? I just don't see where it could have been done.

Fritz said:
Remember it was New Line that wanted a Trilogy. PJ's inital script was for two movies.

Thats why it hurts that the company that took possibly the biggest risk in movie history, indeed the very man that did say "why not three movies?", is quibbling and throwing mud at the man who made these movies.

Bob Shaye's comments were pretty stupid, especially stating them publicly and something that would get many people fired. Could it be that the pressure to make the Hobbit is getting to him?

Fritz said:
Bob Shaye's comments were pretty stupid, especially stating them publicly and something that would get many people fired. Could it be that the pressure to make the Hobbit is getting to him?

I'm sure it is. THey know they're SOL honestly. They can make the movie but MGM I don't think will go out and distribute it. They want PJ because they know he's big bucks guarantee.

I said it once and I'll say it again, to hell with all these rich ****** bags who ALL need to shut the hell up. They sound like school girls arguing about who kissed who's boyfriend.

Customikey said:
I have LOTR. I want Hobbit, but I don't need it.
My sentiments exactly. I would even extend that to:

I have LOTR and the animated "The Hobbit." I want a PJ directed live-action Hobbit, but don't need it.

PJ's official response:

Our issue with New Line Cinema has only ever been about their refusal to account for financial anomalies that surfaced from a partial audit of The Fellowship of the Ring. Contrary to recent comments made by Bob Shaye, we attempted to discuss the issues raised by the Fellowship audit with New Line for over a year but the studio was and continues to be completely uncooperative. This has compelled us to file a lawsuit to pursue our contractual rights under the law. Nobody likes taking legal action, but the studio left us with no alternative.

For over two years, New Line has denied us the ability to audit The Two Towers and The Return of the King, despite repeated requests. Film auditing is a common and straightforward practice within the industry and we don't understand why New Line Cinema has taken this position.

In light of these circumstances, I didn't think it was appropriate for me to be involved in New Line Cinema's 40th Anniversary video. I have never discussed this video with any of the cast of The Lord of the Rings. The issues that Bob Shaye has with the cast pre-date this law suit by many years.

Fundamentally, our legal action is about holding New Line to it's contractual obligations and promises. It is regrettable that Bob has chosen to make it personal. I have always had the highest respect and affection for Bob and other senior management at New Line and continue to do so.

Back