NOT GOOD: New Line's Bob Shaye on PJ

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
King Darkness said:
They can all blow it out their collective asses!!!! Its just rich people trying to get richer!

That's what I was trying to say but you put it into words better than I could. :rotfl

They should replace PJ with George Lucas to direct the Hobbit....

...kidding....kidding :lol :rotfl :lol

Fritz said:
That's what I was trying to say but you put it into words better than I could. :rotfl

I have moments of pure genius. Sadly they are very few and very far between:cool:

Luckily for all of us, Brett Ratner has a long-standing working relationship with New Line.

He is the perfect man to bring in for this project following the fall out with Singer.

I mean, PJ.

tomandshell said:
Luckily for all of us, Brett Ratner has a long-standing working relationship with New Line.

He is the perfect man to bring in for this project following the fall out with Singer.

I mean, PJ.
So what part will Chris Tucker play. Bilbo you crazy, CRAAAAAAAAZY!!!!!!!

Philip Baker Hall will make an awesome Gandalf in Ratner's Hobbit:

3220122537.jpg

Saul Rubinek can be Bilbo:

DPT1850_1040503201329.jpg

Harris Yulin can be Elrond:

Q_Travers.jpg

Ken Leung can be the Elven King:

02_kenleung_suckerfreecity.jpg

And the magic of CGI can bring Chris Penn back for one final triumphant performance as the Goblin King:

Chris_Penn.jpg

I guess that leaves Charlie Sheen to provide the voice of both Gollum and Smaug.

Now you're just being nasty.

New Line needs to just get over it. No one really cares about them, I wouldn't care if PJ sued them for all they're money and they went bankrupt, I just want a good Hobbit movie that's made well and isn't influenced by NL's crappy studio.

I have a thought...

They can all go to hell. :devil I think I'll read the book again! :read :rock

Tolkien :bow > PJ + New Line :(

Fritz said:
I have a thought...

GREAT point Fritz. I'll go ahead and say it... Tolkien is spinning in his grave right now :lol

SideshowDusty said:
GREAT point Fritz. I'll go ahead and say it... Tolkien is spinning in his grave right now :lol

Actually, he probably started spinning back in the 70's with the Bakshi version and his rotation has been gaining momentum ever since! Soon, his rotation will cause the Earth to wobble and it's orbit to change bringing total destruction to us all!!! :D

lcummins said:
Actually, he probably started spinning back in the 70's with the Bakshi version and his rotation has been gaining momentum ever since! Soon, his rotation will cause the Earth to wobble and it's orbit to change bringing total destruction to us all!!! :D

To be fair, PJ's LoTR is the best depiction of Tolkien's story in cinema. It was true to most of the story and made excellent movies. Compare that to the horrible animated version I saw, I wanted to gnaw my own leg off so I could stop watching it.

SideshowDusty said:
That or laughing his ass off at all of us getting so bent out of shape about it.

Bottom line: IF NewLine/Shaye feels they've been wrongfully accused by Jackson, then why are they so resistant to the audit? Jackson never said the audit would prove that he'd been screwed out of more money (but I'm reading that in between the lines). Why is NewLine needing to get sued by Zaentz first, then a threat of suit by the LOTR actors next, then yet another suit by Jackson over the same things....bookkeeping and fair distribution of $$. NOW NewLine gets on the Principle wagon? BS.

Fritz said:
I have a thought...

Only the Original works will stand the test of time, which when when written has totally nothing to do with money...

Things always happens when money is involved....

I have a feeling that PJ probably said that they could give him $100 million or else submit to an independent audit, the results of which he would accept.

If that's the case, then New Line can honestly say that he wants 100 million from them, and PJ can honestly say that he has asked for an independent audit. Both can make public statements from their perspective and sound "right." Issues like this are always a lot more complex than the public statements let on.

tomandshell said:
I have a feeling that PJ probably said that they could give him $100 million or else submit to an independent audit, the results of which he would accept.

If that's the case, then New Line can honestly say that he wants 100 million from them, and PJ can honestly say that he has asked for an independent audit. Both can make public statements from their perspective and sound "right." Issues like this are always a lot more complex than the public statements let on.
You mean there are actually parts of the story the public doesn't know. I can't believe it.:rotfl

Fritz said:
I have a thought...

While I don't necessarily disagree with that statement (hell, 99.9% of the time, the book is always better than the movie ...), you are missing the main importance of Peter Jackson and those movies. PJ brought Lord of the Rings back from the brink of obscurity. His movies energized the material and connected it to popular culture in a way that virtually guarantees the works will remain strong and upfront for generations to come.

Now, Lord of the Rings was famous before the movies. But, it wasn't part of our CULTURE. It was those "weird books the geeks talk about at their Dungeons and Dragon's conventions." It had a strong presence in the fantasy fandom, but was dying a slow death in the public eye. Gone were the glory days of the 70's ... gone were the FRODO LIVES! graffiti days, gone were the pop/rock songs about Mordor. In truth, circa 2001, if you asked 10 random people on the street about Lord of the Rings, you would get 1 of 2 answers, "oh, that crappy little cartoon I saw as a kid" or, even sadder, "what?" PJ and his films changed that.

We now have Lord of the Rings video games, action figures, 70 dollar "collector's figures", 300 dollar statues, etc. Heck, we have Frodo bed sheets and halloween costumes. We have an entirely new generation of children who are connecting with the material ... its been called "this generation's Star Wars". But more importantly for Tolkien and his fans, its introduced a new generation of our culture to the WRITTEN WORKS. As a teacher, I have seen a huge number of children in middle and high school reading these books over the last few years. I bet, no, I guarantee that 90% of them would still not know what Lord of the Rings was if not for Peter Jackson.

So, believe what you want about Jackson and/or New Line. Call them greedy ... call them childish. But NEVER underestimate PJ and the movies influence on the LOTR material we love. The written works were strong enough to stand the test of time as geek fodder. The movies turned it into pop culture gold that will last forever.

Last edited:
I was one of those book "geeks" from the '60s & '70s. During and since the movies, my son and countless others I know who couldn't abide to open a book read them for the first time and became transported by Tolkien's magic. The magic of the films led them all to explore more.

GREAT post DoubMcc!!!!

Back