"No f*&%ing s#*# lady! Do I sound like I'm ordering a f*&%ing pizza?"

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

should i leave mouth open or closed?

• leave slightly open mouth

Votes: 39 86.7%
  • closed mouth

Votes: 5 11.1%
  • let's see a Live Free or Die Hard version

Votes: 4 8.9%
  • let's not, too many already

Votes: 2 4.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sunohc

Super Freak
Reaction score
John McClane from Die Hard 1 custom head sculpt

i know i know, another bruce willis sculpt, really?
well i just saw Die Hard 1 for the first time a couple days ago and was ever more inspired. (yes, first time because the movie came out before i was born, so it's like an "oldie" for me)

anyways
he's quite a tough likeness to do actually because he's got his classic calm face and then the squinting expression. I had a hard time choosing one and finding reference pictures to support it.
The reason they make you use a calm straight face in most ID cards is because when you laugh or squint, there are many new facial muscles on the face and so I kept going back and forth, not sure which expression to choose. It's not as simple as sculpting a likeness and then adding an expression because the facial muscles change, sometimes drastically.

latestworkdiehardse7en.jpg

DIE HARD 4 (BALD VERSION IS NOW AVAILABLE)

JOHN MCCLANE from DIE HARD
Available on my website:
https://sunohc.com/store
latestworkbrucewillis.jpg

1.jpg

paint4.jpg

3.jpg

Last edited:
Re: "No f*&%ing s#*# lady! Do I sound like I'm ordering a f*&%ing pizza?"

Yup, agreed; the slightly opened mouth is perfect for that Willis-smirk.

Great job, Daniel!

I would go with the mouth slightly open. I have a few crits though, I did a quick liquify in Photoshop. Take it with a grain of salt since I am in sculptor but I think his jaw in too narrow and nose too long based on the reference picture provided.

animated:
crts.gif

still:
crts-bruce.jpg

Slightly open mouth. Great work. Hope you do different neck versions with this as well. Definitely want a no neck version (less dremmeling).

Also, not to nitpick, but check out the raised right eyebrow in the movie still. Not seeing it in the sculpt yet. Part of the expression so I don't know if you just haven't gotten to it yet but that would be killer if you could nail it.

And I can see what Tesio's saying about the jaw. Right now I'm seeing a little Ed Norton in the original. I think you nailed the nose and mouth, but the jaw does look like it needs a little more thickness. Man, what a tough likeness to capture. Why is that?

sneak.jpg

reference.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Ho, come on Daniel make the Tears of the Sun version, i have asked you so many times, go on you know you want to.

great looking mcclane

yes another bruce willis, put me down for 2.

will it come with the cig i'll be down for one also if you offer it

that is looking great. I think for the pose yuo choose the face should be alittle thicker like the photoshop but not quite that much.

Lookin good Daniel! So glad you were inspired to work on this guy ahead of schedule :clap Could use a little tweaking, but what a great start :rock

Like I mentioned before, after taking all those screen grabs for you I really noticed just how much of the movie he spend with his mouth slightly open. The squint is classic, but he also spends a lot of the movie with his eyes slightly widened in a determined stare. Not sure which I'd prefer more though...

Can't wait to see the finished product :bow

The photoshopped pic is WAY too much. Kills the resemblance to Willis.

hey everyone, thanks for the comments and critiques!
I appreciate them. I will make some adjustments to the jaw. I shaved the jaw down quite a bit because I have the tendency to sculpt the jaws and cheeks too wide but I think I may have slightly overdone it.

I will see what I can do with the nose (the nose is damn hard haha)

Definitely tweak the eyebrows too.

Also, it's hard to tell in the pictures, but I actually made his right eye MORE squintier than the left. Do you guys think that might look wrong when it's painted? In the movie, he often squinted his right eye more often than the left.

I'm not sure I will offer a cig because it's such a tiny thing to cast and I'm many of you could roll up some paper and make one yourself :) But I'll see what I can do with some apoxie putty.

This one will be up on my website with the others for pre-ordering

Daniel

I think its well on it's way to greatness. I'm really glad you decided to watch the movie.

After looking at it longer, I agree, the nose is a bit too wide, and the cheeks need to be just a little fuller.

Great sculpture Daniel, looking forward to see the finish pix.

BTW, I also like the slightly open mouth version

Back