Neytiri AVATAR Premium Format Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
has sideshow ever changed/tweaked things before release? has that ever happened? no sarcasm there, just curiosity.

the hair didnt bother me much at first, but the more negative comments i read here, and the more i think how easy it is for sideshow to correct it, the more i'll be disappointed with the piece if sideshow dont make it right.

they should have just sculpted the hairline into the forehead and made the hair extension the separate piece, instead of sculpting the head bald and then giving it a wig.

has sideshow ever changed/tweaked things before release? has that ever happened? no sarcasm there, just curiosity.

the hair didnt bother me much at first, but the more negative comments i read here, and the more i think how easy it is for sideshow to correct it, the more i'll be disappointed with the piece if sideshow dont make it right.

they should have just sculpted the hairline into the forehead and made the hair extension the separate piece, instead of sculpting the head bald and then giving it a wig.

It has happened a couple times. Most notable being KOTCS Indy PF and Mark I Maquette (at least I think this one was changed).

In sideshow answers they said they would add hair to the tail but were not going to change the hairline:monkey4

From the Q&A: Monday, October 25th, 2010
The Neytiri statue’s hairline seems unfinished and not film accurate. She is also missing eyelashes and the hair on her tail (like it is in the film). Is the pictured statue finished, or will these issues be fixed?

Indeed, we have added Neytiri’s hairy poof on the tip of her tail. No other changes are planned, to either the eyelashes or hairline.

This looks great, the likeness does look closer than SS.

I'm betting they're both using the CG files for the sculpt so it's really just a difference in paint

That's absolutely correct. GG and SS get CG files from their license holders for use in creating figures that are then output by a digital sculpting machine. In fact, Sideshow showed the CG render before they showed the statue, so the likeness is dead on.

I bet sideshow knows it will hurt sales of the pf because many, including myself, might cancel the sideshow statue to save up for that if its better.

You're talking $300 vs $1000+ easy. A 3' statue straight from Legacy is going to be big money.

Sideshow does tweek things more often than you might think, both in response to fan feedback and because of the desire of the design team or the license holders to see things altered. They've done repaints like on Firefly, and even added additional swap-out parts including additional heads. They even do full re-sculpts when they aren't satisfied with how something is turning out.

I've said this in here before, the reason for the hairline is because the hair needs to be cast as a separate piece due to the way it is sculpted to flow free from the body. For that reason, the hairline won't look blended to the forehead. But for $300 instead of $1000, I'll blend the hairline myself.

Last edited:
That's absolutely correct. GG and SS get CG files from their license holders for use in creating figures that are then output by a digital sculpting machine. In fact, Sideshow showed the CG render before they showed the statue, so the likeness is dead on.

You're talking $300 vs $1000+ easy. A 3' statue straight from Legacy is going to be big money.

Sideshow does tweek things more often than you might think, both in response to fan feedback and because of the desire of the design team or the license holders to see things altered. They've done repaints like on Firefly, and even added additional swap-out parts including additional heads. They even do full re-sculpts when they aren't satisfied with how something is turning out.

I've said this in here before, the reason for the hairline is because the hair needs to be cast as a separate piece due to the way it is sculpted to flow free from the body. For that reason, the hairline won't look blended to the forehead. But for $300 instead of $1000, I'll blend the hairline myself.

All well and good surfer but I for one don't have those skills to blend the hairline with any confidence so I am not willing to part with my money. Hence I cancelled. Let someone else enjoy my Neytiri.

I just noticed that Legacy lists it as "Neytiri Maquette." So it appears Hot Toys will be releasing the only mixed media AVATAR figures (assuming they get around to it.)

Hot Toys has removed Avatar form ther site... I was just over there and now Im frantic should get the Neytiri PF... Fearing thats Hot Toys has let Avatar go or hold my breath and wait and hope I can still get a hold of this later???

It does for me.
lb006.png

Looks great, but I really like the Sideshow pose with the Exclusive knife.

looks great but whats with the greyish color? i thought she was more blue like sideshows. I like them both but im going with sideshow to save 700+ bucks.

Hot Toys has removed Avatar form ther site...

I just checked, you're right, all reference to AVATAR has been totally removed from Hot Toys' site. There were some people here who actually predicted that a while back. Looking back and forth between SSC and Legacy Neytiri I'm feeling Sideshow's more. Better likeness and WAY better price.

Back