Next Super Console --- What do you want??

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
22nm multicore CPU / GPU
>8GB of RAM
1080p @ 60fps minimum for all games
Better physics, and better games. I only buy the AAA-level titles, so I don't invest myself too much in a console.

Games don't need that much RAM, video RAM would help though.

We won't be seeing a new one for a while, but it's fine, because really, by the time the new consoles come out the components will be cheap enough to where the upgrade in speed won't compromise the price. I'd be very excited about the next consoles because I really think all three of the companies have learned from the current generation and will have a pretty solid lineup when the time comes.

all this "look, no hands!" "voice recognition!" jazz is so old. already. and it isn't even out yet.:wacky

neo-retro is the way. give me a controller and pc performance and that'll do me.:naughty

I believe that limits on our current technology, will in a way, hinder the development of future consoles. Currently, 1080p is the highest resolution offered for retail HD televisions, and Blue Ray disks (which max out at 1080p) have only been out for a few years.

How long will 1080p resolution reign supreme for retail HD Televisions? Will Blue Ray disks be replaced by another format in a few years? I don't know the answer to any of those questions, but I'll bet that this current generation of consoles will last for a VERY long time - years beyond the previous console generation. Sure there will be a PS4, and another X-Box, but we shouldn't expect to see new systems anytime soon.

but I'll bet that this current generation of consoles will last for a VERY long time - years beyond the previous console generation. Sure there will be a PS4, and another X-Box, but we shouldn't expect to see new systems anytime soon.

I agree with you, but I guarantee Sony, MS, and Nintendo already have their engineers developing their next one. That's just the way its always been.

I believe that limits on our current technology, will in a way, hinder the development of future consoles. Currently, 1080p is the highest resolution offered for retail HD televisions, and Blue Ray disks (which max out at 1080p) have only been out for a few years.

Well see, right now almost every game renders at 720p or less. Only a few games actually render at 1080p so they still need to get video game consoles up to speed with HD.

Well see, right now almost every game renders at 720p or less. Only a few games actually render at 1080p so they still need to get video game consoles up to speed with HD.

Exactly. I remember when Sony was advertising that all their games will be in 1080p before the PS3 was launched. I think it was in one of their E3 conferences, but needless to say we're not quite there just yet. It doesn't matter to me because even in 720p games look incredible.

ugh. I don't even want to think about the next generation of consoles. I like the 10 year plan that Sony has (which really will be 8 or so years, but that's still good) to support the PS3. I just don't want to pay out of my butt for the new systems - and based on the current pricepoints, it seems like new supercharged consoles will cost around $700 (when you factor in the increased prices of games and controllers and the like).

:banghead

i'd buy a 720 just because i'm a serious gamer and would have to get it but the ps3 is fine for now since i use it as a blu-ray player but no need for another system, especially with the economy like it is. i think M$ and Sony need to wait and recoup some $ on the cost of the current gen systems before they release a system that they will lose even more money per system sold and the current systems still have years of life in them...spend more money on developing new game franchises...still can't get into ODST. Speaking of which bring on Dead Space 2!!!!!

i'd buy a 720 just because i'm a serious gamer and would have to get it but the ps3 is fine for now since i use it as a blu-ray player but no need for another system, especially with the economy like it is. i think M$ and Sony need to wait and recoup some $ on the cost of the current gen systems before they release a system that they will lose even more money per system sold and the current systems still have years of life in them...spend more money on developing new game franchises...still can't get into ODST. Speaking of which bring on Dead Space 2!!!!!

Totally agree with you.

I've had my PS3 a long time and it's used everyday. It is the main player I use for both Blu-rays, DVD's (because of the upscaling) and of course gaming. I love how It also media streams to my PC, alowing me to access and play content from there. I've never had a problem with it at all. I think I have gotten my moneys worth out of it , if it packed it in from overuse , I'd buy another one in a heart beat.

Totally agree with you.

I've had my PS3 a long time and it's used everyday. It is the main player I use for both Blu-rays, DVD's (because of the upscaling) and of course gaming. I love how It also media streams to my PC, alowing me to access and play content from there. I've never had a problem with it at all. I think I have gotten my moneys worth out of it , if it packed it in from overuse , I'd buy another one in a heart beat.

:lecture Definitely agree with that. One plus with my PS3 (original 60Gb model) is that the reflective accents and the chrome match with my Samsung TV so its a match made in heaven. If mine magically bites the dust I'd freak out for a half minute hoping that I can still reuse the hard drive, but I'd run right to Best Buy to buy one of the slims.

I really don't think we are close to this. Does anyone else feel this way? Both systems are doing a good job IMO. The PS3 has a major lack of good quality first party titles and the 360 has malfunctioning issues. I think we have at least until 2011 until they start gearing up for another system.

I agree 100%. NATAL will extend the lifespan of the 360, and PS3 is a year behind microsofts system launch anyway.

I agree 100%. NATAL will extend the lifespan of the 360, and PS3 is a year behind microsofts system launch anyway.

I just hope that developers embrace the device... otherwise, it might just end up being another fancy add on without much use =(

I just hope that developers embrace the device... otherwise, it might just end up being another fancy add on without much use =(

It's definitely a gamble releasing it as a peripheral for 360 instead of holding off to be used as a standard feature for the successor console (which it will be anyways). They have a huge install base, but the history of peripheral sales in the industry are disastrous.

Back