NEXT Star Wars 1/6th Figure...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well then what's the point of buying their next all-new release if they are just going to make a better, updated version later? Same goes for Hot Toys, especially Hot Toys.

:exactly:

Sideshow, at least currently, remain a collectible company. It is extremely, extremely rare of them to release the same version of the same character in the same format

Well then what's the point of buying their next all-new release if they are just going to make a better, updated version later? Same goes for Hot Toys, especially Hot Toys.

Ever bought a car? Washing machine? Anything?

Re-releases are only an issue if you're buying these figures as an "investment", which you shouldn't.

There are quite a few figures Sideshow have done that could do with an all new release and I'd happily buy them.

I guess the point is sideshow stated they wouldn't repeat characters hence collectible. Not sure it's sustainable.
As you said Luke Jedi was cool back in the day but poor by the latest standards. And to be honest a release of say endor Luke would get found that but it's only lip service.

And as for stormies etc. a variant would be tenuous anyway.

Oh and lobot? Hell yea!!!

What character was selling for 799.99?

I think he was referring to the Stormtrooper, and that is way too much of an outrageous price IMO.:horror:cuckoo: I have the Exclusive Stormtrooper in my for sale thread for $245 shipped and it's been there for months, I had posted it for $275 originally.

Ever bought a car? Washing machine? Anything?

Re-releases are only an issue if you're buying these figures as an "investment", which you shouldn't.

There are quite a few figures Sideshow have done that could do with an all new release and I'd happily buy them.

To answer your question CaptnRex, yes, no and yes. But you're referring to items that undergo a certain amount of wear-and-tear, not collectible figures. I don't buy these figs as investments, I open almost all of them. The only reason I have a Stormtrooper and Red Ninja in package, never opened, in my for sale thread is because they were duplicates that I just didn't have the room to display and now that I'm unemployed I need the cash.
You are correct though, that some of their older releases could be done better with todays SSC quality. I have to admit, I'm such a fanboy that if they did release an updated better version of say Luke or Mace Windu I would end up buying it, I'm a sucker.:gah: But I would be furious that I had to buy them again, furious.:lol

I guess the point is sideshow stated they wouldn't repeat characters hence collectible. Not sure it's sustainable.
As you said Luke Jedi was cool back in the day but poor by the latest standards. And to be honest a release of say endor Luke would get found that but it's only lip service.

And as for stormies etc. a variant would be tenuous anyway.

Oh and lobot? Hell yea!!!

That was what I recalled as well, that's why I would be upset. For example, I bought the original Admiral Piett and if they re-released a better version I would be furious.:mad:

AP is a bit of a turd by today's standards IMHO. Really wish HT had all the SW humans slated for re dos. I'd be uber cautious on ANY humans SS re released.

AP is a bit of a turd by today's standards IMHO. Really wish HT had all the SW humans slated for re dos. I'd be uber cautious on ANY humans SS re released.

That's my feeling too. I don't think the HT Luke is going to look right next to SS Bespin Han and Lando. As for releasing a new version of an older figure, I don't see an issue, especially if the new one is improved a great deal. If a better version can be made, it should be made.

I'm just glad I don't have to contend with any of SSC's earlier figures - I've totally bypassed them. :lol

I've got 3 SSC 1/6 figures (Greedo, HH & Ep2 clone Cmdr), so I'm waiting with open arms for what HT is bringing. :exactly: :rock

You are correct though, that some of their older releases could be done better with todays SSC quality. I have to admit, I'm such a fanboy that if they did release an updated better version of say Luke or Mace Windu I would end up buying it, I'm a sucker.:gah: But I would be furious that I had to buy them again, furious.:lol

I see your point, fair enough. I just think some of the figures are really outdated now. Its frustrating to know that if we get a Chewbacca the Han figures will be too outdated.

I'm just glad I don't have to contend with any of SSC's earlier figures - I've totally bypassed them. :lol

I've got 3 SSC 1/6 figures (Greedo, HH & Ep2 clone Cmdr), so I'm waiting with open arms for what HT is bringing. :exactly: :rock

The earlier ones were awesome for their time and I've enjoyed them, they weren't expensive and when an upgrade comes along like HT Luke I'll give my SSC figure away, whatever, all good.

I guess the point is sideshow stated they wouldn't repeat characters hence collectible.

That's a little hard considering Star Wars is one of the most popular movies in history, from a marketing standpoint in particular. When it come's to movies like Blade and 300 then you've got a better chance of snagging a rare piece.

If you had something that was exclusive but you could sell it every year with slight changes for a million dollars profit you would do it in a heartbeat. Who wouldn't.

The thing about collectables I've found is that outside of very limited runs, something becoming valuable/collectable comes about in two scenario's.

1) Timing
2) Luck

For example I bought all the limited/1sts/rare Wolverine comics before the X-men films came out just because I like Wolverine. I didn't know down the track due to popularity that I'd be sitting on a gold mine.

As it is I kept em all, because I didn't buy them to sell them! :wink1:

I just remember that's what they said. I too it to collect and not on the hope of future profit.
I mean look a comics I have a large collection of 80s comics that I collected new and I later went back and filled the gaps. Some of those suckers cost a lot in the 90s and probably would sell on eBay for virtually nothing now. That's collecting. Again I ain't planning to sell.

Some ppl are still harsh on Sideshow's earlier figures!!!
I still look at Old Ben,the Chancellor,Leia Boushh,Maul,Vader,Ventress and so on,and i still love them for what they are.They are pretty cool pieces...similiar to the Han and Luke Stormie-if SSC updated,so be it...i would still buy the newer version..but at the rate HT are going with Bespin Luke,i don't think we will see many human characters coming fast over the next yrs.With Luke,it will be like 1 SW character every 2 yrs...... sigh.

I just remember that's what they said. I too it to collect and not on the hope of future profit.
I mean look a comics I have a large collection of 80s comics that I collected new and I later went back and filled the gaps. Some of those suckers cost a lot in the 90s and probably would sell on eBay for virtually nothing now. That's collecting. Again I ain't planning to sell.

Collecting should be what your willing to pay for you to enjoy something you love. The whole thing about making profit down the road is just plain BS. I still have my Star Wars collectible trading cards. They are technically worthless for what I paid for them and what they were worth when I collected with them but they are worth the world to me because they remind me of great times spent with them. The same goes for all my 1/6 figures my wife doesn't understand them but she sees the joy in my face when I am tinkering with them or that I am excited about a new figure, its all about what you think its worth to you that's the enjoyment.

My wife hates them. With a passion a sith would be proud of.

But hey tough. I like em and so do my sons.

At least I don't smoke etc.

That's a little hard considering Star Wars is one of the most popular movies in history, from a marketing standpoint in particular. When it come's to movies like Blade and 300 then you've got a better chance of snagging a rare piece.

If you had something that was exclusive but you could sell it every year with slight changes for a million dollars profit you would do it in a heartbeat. Who wouldn't.

The thing about collectables I've found is that outside of very limited runs, something becoming valuable/collectable comes about in two scenario's.

1) Timing
2) Luck

For example I bought all the limited/1sts/rare Wolverine comics before the X-men films came out just because I like Wolverine. I didn't know down the track due to popularity that I'd be sitting on a gold mine.

As it is I kept em all, because I didn't buy them to sell them! :wink1:

Agreed, I have lots of GOLD some popular some just popular to me!

Back