1/6 NEXT Hot Toys STAR WARS Figure...?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't really think it's a case of 'hoping' that over-saturation leads to people falling back on the OT.

The fact of the matter is that the PT, TCW, Mando, TBB are all simply much more popular than the OT right now. I expect this to be the case for the forseeable future and you can't blame companies for capitalising on that merch-wise. Diversity in this hobby is always a good thing but there's no denying there's plenty of characters from the other eras that need to be made and since we've already got most of the main OT characters, I think it's fair to see the others get their time in the spotlight !

I like the OT, The Mandalorian, Rogue One, Solo, the Clone Force 99 armours from The Bad Batch.

If it's made and I like it, I'll buy it. However, if HT suddenly lost the Star Wars license tomorrow it wouldn't bother me. I only buy the figures because they're being made, and if nobody was making them I wouldn't be commissioning them from anyone else.

I'm the same with any line. The lack of new OT figures doesn't affect me, but if they were made, and they were what I wanted, I'd buy them. The real fun with this hobby is not knowing what's going to be teased next, or making something better out of something you already own.

But if over-saturation leads to implosion then the fall back position is the OT, which can be covered by Hot Toys' 'Retro' tag.

ed581226-0621-4a2c-82a9-ea7be7e0c907-jpeg.535230

The PT isn't quite retro yet, and in any case it'll never have the kudos of being the Original Trilogy.

The PT isn't quite retro yet, and in any case it'll never have the kudos of being the Original Trilogy.
I agree with a lot of what you said, but definitely not this.

I really don't think the older generation realise just how popular the PT is at the moment. Pretty much all my friends and extended acquaintances, which is a considerable demographic, would all put the PT above the OT. Hence the outpouring of merchandise for it in recent years. Personally growing up with them I'm relieved to see all the love and it's allowed me to collect some of my favourite characters! 🤩

I agree with a lot of what you said, but definitely not this.

I really don't think the older generation realise just how popular the PT is at the moment. Pretty much all my friends and extended acquaintances, which is a considerable demographic, would all put the PT above the OT. Hence the outpouring of merchandise for it in recent years. Personally growing up with them I'm relieved to see all the love and it's allowed me to collect some of my favourite characters! 🤩

It'll still never have the kudos of being the 'Original', because that's set in stone barring time travel anomalies. lol

In 1999 The Phantom Menace barely even felt like it was related to Star Wars. The memory of the disappointment is as vivid now as it was 22 years ago. Angelic little Annie, Jar-Jar's slapstick, the ridiculous Rogers. The latter also cast a dark shadow over much of The Clone Wars. (Whenever Battle Droids were featured the series might as well been titled, The Clown Wars!).

It was another six years until the ending of The Revenge of the Sith finally began to harness the spirit of the originals.

While the Sequels went off on a PT kind of departure, Rogue One, Solo and finally The Mandalorian have been gradually reining the franchise back under control with stories in keeping with the originally envisaged expanded universe.

I'd like to believe that it's the likes of The Mandalorian keeping Star Wars relevant and popular, rather than the PT which truly felt like Lucas had forgotten what Star Wars used to be (a politically motivated cliffhanger serial), or was actually intent on remaking it as something different (a politically motivated comedy).

It'll still never have the kudos of being the 'Original', because that's set in stone barring time travel anomalies. lol

In 1999 The Phantom Menace barely even felt like it was related to Star Wars. The memory of the disappointment is as vivid now as it was 22 years ago. Angelic little Annie, Jar-Jar's slapstick, the ridiculous Rogers. The latter also cast a dark shadow over much of The Clone Wars. (Whenever Battle Droids were featured the series might as well been titled, The Clown Wars!).

It was another six years until the ending of The Revenge of the Sith finally began to harness the spirit of the originals.

While the Sequels went off on a PT kind of departure, Rogue One, Solo and finally The Mandalorian have been gradually reining the franchise back under control with stories in keeping with the originally envisaged expanded universe.

I'd like to believe that it's the likes of The Mandalorian keeping Star Wars relevant and popular, rather than the PT which truly felt like Lucas had forgotten what Star Wars used to be (a politically motivated cliffhanger serial), or was actually intent on remaking it as something different (a politically motivated comedy).

The PT has a following, like this delusional guy you are trying to have a rational conversation with. But guys like him will never understand how popular Star Wars was at it's peak and that the only reason it remains insanely popular to this day is the OT. Some people are so far behind they actually believe they are winning.

The PT has a following, like this delusional guy you are trying to have a rational conversation with. But guys like him will never understand how popular Star Wars was at it's peak and that the only reason it remains insanely popular to this day is the OT. Some people are so far behind they actually believe they are winning.

I guess it's akin to growing up with the reboot of something, and not feeling any connection to the original version - because the PT did largely feel so disconnected from the OT (in tone if nothing else) that it was a practically a reboot rather than an expansion.

The ST also felt like a reboot rather than an expansion. A scorched earth policy, killing off the original heroes and culminating in replacing Luke Skywalker with a new female character adopting the Skywalker name.

I guess it's akin to growing up with the reboot of something, and not feeling any connection to the original version - because the PT did largely feel so disconnected from the OT (in tone if nothing else) that it was a practically a reboot rather than an expansion.

The ST also felt like a reboot rather than an expansion. A scorched earth policy, killing off the original heroes and culminating in replacing Luke Skywalker with a new female character adopting the Skywalker name.
I see it as it's supposed to be a different era really, in the PT you have a bunch of Jedi and Clones running around doing whacky **** with a democracy, but most of them die and it's 20 years later under what's basically a space Nazi regime. The tone was different because the galaxy changed as a whole.

I really don't see how I'm delusional for giving a viewpoint from someone who grew up with the Prequels? I appreciate all yours guys' points but I just thought I'd chime in and make you aware of the fact that they are.. you know.. popular now?

Fair enough if you want to keep your eyes shut and keep wondering why we're not getting many OT releases but please don't attack me and call me delusional for offering some insight 👍

It makes me wonder how the ST will be viewed in 20 years. I think the PT is looked upon a lot more fondly now than it was a decade ago. It has it's problems, but it also has a lot to like.

The ST has a lot more problems (and different kinds of problems), but it, like the PT, was the intro to Star Wars for a lot of new fans.

I see it as it's supposed to be a different era really, in the PT you have a bunch of Jedi and Clones running around doing whacky **** with a democracy, but most of them die and it's 20 years later under what's basically a space Nazi regime. The tone was different because the galaxy changed as a whole.

By tone I mean the different type of 'humour' (i.e., Jar-Jar's ineptitude and slapstick), and the comical and non-threatening nature of the Battle Droids, which I suppose was meant to offset the focus on political machinations and trade talks for a younger audience. (Contrast the Rogers with the Dark Troopers of The Mandalorian, and you get where I'm coming from).

The OT, by contrast, was a far simpler story of good vs. evil in line with the cliffhangers that inspired it. In those early pulp serials the limit of economics would be Nazi saboteurs blowing up factories and disrupting the transport network on American soil as a means of highlighting the stakes for the heroes.

It's other problem, which often besets prequels made too long after the originals, is that the technology sometimes looks slicker and more advanced than the future.

Oh, and not to forget the embarrassingly bad dialogue. lol

It makes me wonder how the ST will be viewed in 20 years. I think the PT is looked upon a lot more fondly now than it was a decade ago. It has it's problems, but it also has a lot to like.

The ST has a lot more problems (and different kinds of problems), but it, like the PT, was the intro to Star Wars for a lot of new fans.
Time has tempered my disappointment with the PT. I hated PM when I dragged my family to see it in theater, but now I can sit back and appreciate that it introduced political intrigue and all the diplomatic stuff I just didn't like much when I was younger. Plus that awful dialogue is enjoyable when you know what to expect.

I'd imagine the ST will eventually be like that, and there will be a thriving meme community based off it, if there isn't already.

Personally I don't see the ST having a renaissance like the Prequels have had purely because they're disliked for a plethora of different reasons. I don't need to go into detail because of the huge amount of video/text essays online explaining exactly why this is the case but I definitely agree with them.

I am definitely not under the """delusion""" that the Prequels were perfect movies, but between The Clone Wars, time, and growing up with them; I certainly adore them. Just like most, if not all of the people I know. They're amazing at world-building. They've got absolutely incredible lore. The choreography of the fights is wonderful to look at. The entirety of The Clone Wars is definitely mine and many others' favourites era in Star Wars. Surely it can't be beyond comprehension that they're so loved now. My friend sold his Dark Side Anakin the other day for nearly £1000, that says a lot! 🤣

Personally I don't see the ST having a renaissance like the Prequels have had purely because they're disliked for a plethora of different reasons. I don't need to go into detail because of the huge amount of video/text essays online explaining exactly why this is the case but I definitely agree with them.

I am definitely not under the """delusion""" that the Prequels were perfect movies, but between The Clone Wars, time, and growing up with them; I certainly adore them. Just like most, if not all of the people I know. They're amazing at world-building. They've got absolutely incredible lore. The choreography of the fights is wonderful to look at. The entirety of The Clone Wars is definitely mine and many others' favourites era in Star Wars. Surely it can't be beyond comprehension that they're so loved now. My friend sold his Dark Side Anakin the other day for nearly £1000, that says a lot! 🤣
I agree with everything you said. Igrew up with The Clone Wars so it’s my favorite Star Wars thing ever. While yeah, nothing will ever be as big as the OT and Empire is the best Star Wars movie, the PT is beloved by many and The Clone Was is universally loved by fans. It also doesn’t help that nearly everyone in this forum iOS nearing or over the hill. I also just bought Dark Side Anakin for $700 at Frank and Sons last Saturday lmao

I really don't see how I'm delusional for giving a viewpoint from someone who grew up with the Prequels?

Fair enough if you want to keep your eyes shut and keep wondering why we're not getting many OT releases but please don't attack me and call me delusional for offering some insight 👍

You are free to like the PT all you want but the below statement is the delusional part.

The fact of the matter is that the PT, TCW, Mando, TBB are all simply much more popular than the OT right now.

They do not tease upcoming figures in final product photos. Those photos are taken by bloggers, not Hot Toys, so if you see a Mace or a Wolffe in them then they’ll be using the Sideshow versions from years ago or something.
You’re right, totally forgot. Guess I misremembered some teases.

Last edited:
You are free to like the PT all you want but the below statement is the delusional part.
If you really believe that the OT is the most popular Star Wars era right now then you're just going to end up being disappointed by its lack of merchandise. I'm only trying to temper expectations, not incite a riot lol

The PT is beloved today by the people that grew up with it. They were kids when the PT was released and love it, like many us who grew up with the OT love that trilogy.
I'm doubtful the ST will be loved in 15-20 years like the PT is with some fans because Star Wars doesn't seem to be popular amongst kids. It's all MCU for them. The MCU is their Star Wars.
Star Wars toys, especially ST don't sell well and end up being shelf warmers.
My kids are in school. Over the last few years I have seen hundreds of MCU backpacks at the school gates. Only one Star Wars backpack and that was a Mandalorian one.
At my kids friends birthday parties, I've seen many superhero themed parties, kids dressing up as Iron Man etc. Zero Star Wars characters.
I know that's anecdotal but I doubt the ST will see the love in a few years that the PT does now.
I can't imagine many kids growing up loving TLJ.
Little Timmy saying "my favourite bit was when the grumpy old man drank the green boob milk from the sea monster"
Vs "my favourite bit was the pod race"

The PT is beloved today by the people that grew up with it. They were kids when the PT was released and love it, like many us who grew up with the OT love that trilogy.
I'm doubtful the ST will be loved in 15-20 years like the PT is with some fans because Star Wars doesn't seem to be popular amongst kids. It's all MCU for them. The MCU is their Star Wars.
Star Wars toys, especially ST don't sell well and end up being shelf warmers.
My kids are in school. Over the last few years I have seen hundreds of MCU backpacks at the school gates. Only one Star Wars backpack and that was a Mandalorian one.
At my kids friends birthday parties, I've seen many superhero themed parties, kids dressing up as Iron Man etc. Zero Star Wars characters.
I know that's anecdotal but I doubt the ST will see the love in a few years that the PT does now.
I can't imagine many kids growing up loving TLJ.
Little Timmy saying "my favourite bit was when the grumpy old man drank the green boob milk from the sea monster"
Vs "my favourite bit was the pod race"
This is EXACTLY it. Similar to your anecdotal evidence; all of my friends' younger brothers/sisters say that any kids who are fans of Star Wars nowadays are all talking about the Prequels, Clone Wars, and Mando rather than the ST. The merch obviously reflects this but it's also the reason that we won't be seeing the ST receiving the same resurgence that the PT is having now.

For the which is the most popular conversation, this (not sure on reliability) is an interesting read:
https://cultmtl.com/2021/08/the-most-popular-star-wars-franchise-movies-and-shows-ranked/
It details which Star Wars movies and shows in order are the most streamed: Mando, OT, ST and the PT/CW.

I am biaised to the OT (which I grew up with), am indifferent to the PT except ROTS, and dislike the ST (as it was a lazy clone of the OT when it could have shown where the rebellion had taken the Empire with the trials and tribulations of establishing a fledgling new republic).

The OT will always be popular, so HT can take their time with them, while they use their limited production capability and make what is hot right now which is Mando and CW (which means they can do PT). It's interesting to hear how those who grew up with the PT prefer it over the OT, especially as both would have been available to watch - was it the cinema experience and the merchandise hype at the time that did it?

Back