Newbie - How do I change the hands?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ListerOfSmeg

Just a little freaky
Reaction score
Hi guys, newbie here.

Bought my first proper figure yesterday - Hot Toys T-800 1/6th scale. Arnie looks the business stood next to my monitor. :clap

I wanted to give him the shotgun, so I managed to pull the stock fist off, but Arnie now has a hole in his forearm which seems to want a peg. The gun hand doesn't have a peg attached. There are two spare peg thingies in the box, but they appear to be at a different angle to the ones attached to his fists. I am assuming these are for poses where you need the hand at a more acute angle to the wrist.

Anyway, I'm assuming I need to extract the straight peg/sphere from the fist that I've removed, and wop it in the gun hand. Thing is I'm petrified of breaking it. The peg is really the only bit you can get purchase on to pull, and I was applying scary amounts of pressure without it budging. Is there some technique to getting these out? Are they supposed to come out?

While I'm on, can someone explain the relationship between Hot Toys and Sideshow? Many retailers seem to use the terms synonymously, or at least did with this T-800 figure. Are Sideshow the exclusive distributor or a parent company or something?

Many thanks
Lister

Try heating the parts with a blow dryer on hot if you are afraid of breaking stuff. It will also make it easier to pull stuff a part.

The spare pegs are exactly the same ones as the ones already in the hands. They are there in case you break the first ones.

Sideshow is a distributor of Hot Toys product. Also, Hot Toys has collaborated in the design of the Sideshow Star Wars armored figures.

Oh.... and welcome to the club!

The pegs move like a hinge on a door, the pegs are actually what's allowing you to move the angles of the hands or the feet. The ones in the box are most likely just spares and no different than the ones already on the hands you've removed. While I've only been collecting for a year or so, I'm pretty certain there's no such thing as different types of pegs within one box.

The pegs pop in and out of place, they're not screwed in or anything like that. To remove or insert pegs, some people like to heat them up with a hair dryer or hot water, there's threads that go into that in detail, but I've always just taken hold of them with my hands and pulled until they came out. I've had no problems doing that as yet...

For putting pegs in, I just line them up and push with might... If it's a peg to go into a hand or a foot, I just put it on a table and push the peg in until it pops in.

I say if you just bought this from a reputable store, you shouldn't worry so much. Play around with it within reason and if you break a peg somehow, just tell the store it came like that.

Last edited:
be careful because you can break a peg off in the hand.....it just takes practice but once you get the hang of it you'll be swapping out hands in no time

The pegs move like a hinge on a door, the pegs are actually what's allowing you to move the angles of the hands or the feet. The ones in the box are most likely just spares and no different than the ones already on the hands you've removed.

The pegs pop in and out of place, they're not screwed in or anything like that. To remove or insert pegs, some people like to heat them up with a hair dryer or hot water, there's threads that go into that in detail, but I've always just taken hold of them with my hands and pulled until they came out. I've had no problems doing that as yet...

I say if you just bought this from a reputable store, you shouldn't worry so much. Play around with it within reason and if you break a peg somehow, just tell the store it came like that.

Aahhh... I wouldn't recommend that, especially if it's your local comic book shop. It's a pain in the butt for them to return it and get a new one. They might see you as a pain in the ass customer. I've heard similar stories from the store owners and they hate that type of customers always returning stuff. While they might honor the customer is always right rule, they just don't want to feel like wal-mart or target taking returns and exchanges all the time. Save it for when it happens for real. Just be careful when you pull things a part and you'll be fine.

So the peg is stuck in the hand? I have an easy trick:

Grab a piece of cloth or towel (preferably a thinner one) wrap it around the peg. Clamp on the peg with your teeth and pull! Your teeth are amazing plyers.

Grab a piece of cloth or towel (preferably a thinner one) wrap it around the peg. Clamp on the peg with your teeth and pull! Your teeth are amazing plyers.

I do the teeth trick all the time haha

The answer to your question is "Very carefully". Replacing the hands is common sense, its how careful you are that matters.

Ok since I am fairly new... who is this Nam character? People keep referencing this guy... who wants to tell me the quick version of the story?

Ok since I am fairly new... who is this Nam character? People keep referencing this guy... who wants to tell me the quick version of the story?

Nam is the quasi Charles Barkley of SSF, although I doubt he's fat and black. Brutally honest, knows what he's talking about and very entertaining. Some people dont get his style of humor but he's like an ornery big brother. I hope its not a perma-ban 'cause its gonna suck without him :(

Nam is the quasi Charles Barkley of SSF, although I doubt he's fat and black. Brutally honest, knows what he's talking about and very entertaining. Some people dont get his style of humor but he's like an ornery big brother. I hope its not a perma-ban 'cause its gonna suck without him :(

I had to search for the definition of ornery: Mean-spirited, disagreeable, and contrary in disposition; cantankerous.

Yep, that's nam. Chet from "Weird Science" also came to mind. :lol

I was shooting more for the "cantankerous" part. :wink1:

But its funny you mentioned Chet, I had Buzz from Home Alone in mind when I wrote that. :D

I just use an actual pliers. :dunno

Oh, and a hair dryer. :)

Back