1/6 SSC C-3PO Modification Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I attempted this mod on the left hand and did the twisting method on the left. All together, they both look good!

IMG_2347.jpg

How much heat and for how long to twist the thumbs? Where do I want to direct the heat? The palms? right on the thumb joint?

For those that opened the hand, where did you start to pry it open? I can't seem to get anything in the seam to pry it up.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks EF! I'll give it a shot this weekend. I wasn't as patient the first time.

seems you also could just boil some water in the microwave and submerge that part of the hand for 20 seconds... i bet it would be just the same as cooking it w/ a hair dryer for 10 min... don't see any metal in the area that water would negatively effect...

seems you also could just boil some water in the microwave and submerge that part of the hand for 20 seconds... i bet it would be just the same as cooking it w/ a hair dryer for 10 min... don't see any metal in the area that water would negatively effect...

Might do weird things to the paint.

So the hands must be disassembled to do the hair dryer twist, right? And the the two halves just come apart pretty easily, or is there a fair amount of glue?

Knowing my luck my hands will have a ton of glue - my Biker Scout helmet had way more glue than others had said when I tried to do the "swing-up" visor thing.:slap

Guys- I need some help- My 3PO arrived missing the little spike thing in his head (shown in photo below circled in red). I wrote to the store I bought it from but haven't heard back. So to anyone who has gotten a head replacement from Sideshow would you be willing to sell me that little head spike on the head you had replaced? Please let me know!!!

3po.jpg

Sean

With heat-n-twist, do the thumbs slowly go back to their original (wrong) position?

That's exactly what I was thinking. Vinyl certainly does, not sure on ABS or whatever this plastic is. If the thumb is out of the hand, I may just cut it clean with a scalpel and turn/glue it.

Seriously considering buying one, stripping it, modding it, and weathering it to hell and back.

Just treating it like a kit.

*thinkthinkthink*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't use any heat when I did my mod; one of the hands wouldn't open so I padded the thumb and gave it a twist until something gave. It initially was a little loose so I used a toothpick to put some white glue at the base of the thumb and kept moving it every minute or so until the glue set up; now it seems fine and looks correct. The other hand popped open when I tried to twist the thumb so I did the correct mod, again using white glue to stiffen it up. In the end I think it's crap that we have to do this to a $200+ figure and I'll never PO a SS produced figure again, but I couldn't live with it the way it came. If SS does produce a second run later this year and the hands are correct, we'll have to give them he11!

Fixed the thumbs,which took about an hour,mostly due to my breaking the wrist pegs trying to rotate them(damned tee-posts!).Actually,I only broke one of them;my wife was kind enough to make sure I had a matched set.Also cleaned off some of the weathering,using torch fluid(Coleman fuel,one of the pro model-makers secret weapons).Interestingly,some of the "dirt"came off very easily,while some of the spots wouldn't budge;weird...PS

Fixed the thumbs,which took about an hour,mostly due to my breaking the wrist pegs trying to rotate them(damned tee-posts!).Actually,I only broke one of them;my wife was kind enough to make sure I had a matched set.Also cleaned off some of the weathering,using torch fluid(Coleman fuel,one of the pro model-makers secret weapons).Interestingly,some of the "dirt"came off very easily,while some of the spots wouldn't budge;weird...PS

A little off topic Wax, but YEARS ago you made a fantastic reveal Vader. I remember you from some OLD forum, can't recall the name of the forum. But anyway, do you still have that Vader or any pictures you can share with us?

Back