1/6 SSC C-3PO Modification Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

galactiboy

OT Preferist
Reaction score
Here's a thread with some tips and tricks to get the most out of your Sideshow Collectibles C-3PO.

If you have some additional suggestions please post them here and I can add them to the first post for ease of access.

Thumb Modification
As many collectors have noted the thumbs on the Stock figure are at an odd angle and look either like a 5th finger or a claw. Sadly it's not really possible to rotate the thumb due to the design of the hand, but with a bit of work you can modify the thumb into a ball joint and correct this issue.

Step 1: Remove the Hand
Grip the hand by holding onto the palms (avoiding any pressure on the fingers) and pull straight out. You will get some resistance, but the wrist peg will come out.
*Do not try to pull the wrist peg out of the hand, it is not removable at this step!

08bc46cb-8a91-4e14-86df-637a1b727e76_zpsj7qon51e.jpg

cebeafc1-a716-45de-bb8a-5cb22fb747b3_zpsrvfce4z6.jpg

Step 2: Open the Hand
Take a thin and rigid knife (or similar tool) and work it into the sides of the palm where the gold and black pieces are joined. Work the tool in carefully and when you are able to get enough leverage use the tool to pop the halves apart. This is the scary part, but if you are careful you should be able to break the hand apart w/o marring the gold paint or damaging the plastic.

Once the hand is open you'll discover the problem with the thumb, it's a T-joint that prevents any rotation. And since the T-joint is oriented in a way that keeps the ridges of thumb in line with the rest of the fingers it looks off.

1ce2e18d-217d-4684-bbbd-1abaa306fa4c_zpswygdt49c.jpg

Step 3: Dremmel the T-Joint
Take a dremmel with a pointed sanding tool and carefully round out the T-joint until it is ball shaped and able to fit in the original housing and rotate freely. If you place the hand back together and the thumb doesn't rotate; remove a bit more. If it's too loose put a tiny bit of electrical tape on the ball to get a tighter fit.

Stock regular finger T-joint next to a dremmeled thumb T-joint
c4eda6bd-916d-4623-9806-c6f25b7aff36_zpsglkwclyt.jpg

Step 4: Reassemble 7 Enjoy!
Use a bit of glue on the male and female parts of the inside of the palm and reassemble. It's a bit of a trick to hold the wrist joint and thumb in place while reassembling, but just be patient and take your time.

48ad5c4e-6543-4a9d-877a-4914233d25d3_zpszk0wshvp.jpg

Then reinsert the hand into C-3PO and you're done. Now the finger can rotate and move up and down allowing for a better articulation and appearance.​

752d5b1c-408b-4a27-a436-62ab1192d761_zpsna3mvvpd.jpg

"Chocolate Milk" Removal
The weathering on C-3PO is okay... but a bit heavy handed. Probably the biggest issue is that it looks like he's been covered in chocolate milk (credit to Wor-Gar for that one). Removal is easy, but time consuming :monkey4

Step 1: Select an area you would like to work on (in this case a smudge of brown on C-3PO's stomach).

ceb1b0a0-d27e-4328-89ac-c541a137e06b_zps8whnrcjv.jpg

Step 2:
Take some rubbing alcohol (I use 90%), load up a Q-Tip and work the Q-tip back and forth until the brown is removed. Wipe the area off afterward with a damp cloth to on the off chance the rubbing alcohol could damage the finish, but so far it seems like the underlying metallic paint job is very resilient.

40322436-5df4-4307-8c12-f3c76a9bbda5_zpswzcvtdjs.jpg

That's it for now... I'll eventually reapply some new weathering; but first I have to remove more of what's there :lol

Last edited:
Re: SSC 1/6 C-3PO Modification Thread

Nice job. I'd have done this had I seen it before doing the hair dry and twist method on mine. It turned out OK, thumbs and forefingers are loose, but I applied some Future/Pledge to the joints with a toothpick and letting it set up overnight.

Original hand on left, twisted thumb on right:

IMG_20160122_125536751.jpg

Both thumbs twisted:

IMG_20160122_132911199.jpg

Re: SSC 1/6 C-3PO Modification Thread

Wow. Galactiboy is our "new hope". BIG THANKS!!

Bravo..Galacticboy...SSC should give you a Star Wars figure of your choice as a big thank you...You have saved them a lot of headaches for those of us who can perform this mod...:)

I tried 50% isopropyl on the arm I'm having replaced and it didn't touch the weathering, I'll have to purchase some 90% and give that a try.

Not a big enough deal and to much work for me to do the thumb mod. Might try to remove a bit of the weathering. Nice tutorials.

Thanks guys, glad it's been helpful.

BTW, if anyone has a broken left arm they are getting replaced and don't need the broken one please let me know, I'd be happy to pay for one or two for a few further customizing ideas :duff

Nice job. I'd have done this had I seen it before doing the hair dry and twist method on mine. It turned out OK, thumbs and forefingers are loose, but I applied some Future/Pledge to the joints with a toothpick and letting it set up overnight.

Looks great man, thanks for sharing!!!

Thread of the year. :lecture

It's still early yet... but still appreciated :lol

seriously! huge Thank you for this thread! And the hands pop out pretty easily, actually. Not to push my luck, anybody want to film their attempt and upload the Youtube vid here. I am nervous popping hand apart!

Do you mean popping the hands apart, or just removing the hand from the arm? Either way I can help out with that if someone doesn't beat me to it.

Bravo..Galacticboy...SSC should give you a Star Wars figure of your choice as a big thank you...You have saved them a lot of headaches for those of us who can perform this mod...:)
Just don't pick one of theirs.

:lol :lol :duff

Sorry, meant just popping hand out from wrist. I have not taken the hand to the knife yet - but having re-read your tutorial, I am gonna try it. Does not seem that hard! And what a huge improvement. Thanks again. Freaks to the rescue, as usual!!!!!!!!

Well, I attempted to open the right hand and it wouldn't budge; I put as much stress on the plastic as I was comfortable with, but even as a model builder with tools, had no luck. I next attempted the grab-and-twist method and achieved what I was looking for. The thumb was a little loose so I packed the area with a small amount of white glue (something that can be reversed) and it worked beautifully by moving the thumb every minute or so until the glue dried. When I did the left hand I went right to the grab-and-twist method and as I twisted the thumb the hand pretty much popped in half. So, for the left hand I was able to round the base of the thumb to create the ball as described above. Anyway, below is the end result...

Before:

IMG_7776s.JPG

After:

IMG_7837s.JPG

Back