Newbie Attempt at Dio

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lol, I need to buy a shrunken version, didn’t nail the scale! Have you seen that new Sandtrooper Statue? That looks great!

Oh, I think I have pictures near the beginning of this thread on what I used..also, I still have pics of more are needed. The tricky part was putting it all together and making it align straight...no pictures for that. ��

Post em all here, or on Flikr or somewhere. Seriously I'd really appreciate any detail I can get. Assembly etc is no problem. Just the bits and pieces used would help a lot.

Is also be up for making one of these if a moulded set is not an option.

Help us Solo Bones you're our only hope.

Ok someone had to say it [emoji3]

Haha! I love it..:thanks for that, Hoody. I’m trying to think of a practical approach to making. This a reality..but I am not sure how to cast that well...but it’s in the back of my mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WOW. Amazing Dio. Great Job. :clap
Thanks, you guys..I’m very appreciative of that...especially since this is a replay of an old piece.

I tried to get some pics of it lit up...

D0DCAE30-06A3-4665-B3C3-BF0A4DC4D9B1.jpg

BCBFBCA3-B8D3-4DD0-B918-2A799FC54C9B.jpg

E2CAC2AD-863C-4A93-B797-50E91EC1769A.jpg

Will

Also see:

Ah, the receipts were many, and there was so much trial and error I have a lot of spare parts left over that i never used or tried and fried.

Here's what I came up with based off of what i Googled and compared to my receipts. I did not include the PVC tubing that connects all these parts, namely the T-KAP body and to the top portion.

(2) 3" T-KAP ABS Cleanout adapter 021449974820

(2) 2" X 1-1/2" ABS DWV Flush Bushing, Spigot x (go inside T-KAP's) 039923197603

(1) adapter male 2" ABS 372872 (389116)

(4) 1 x /34 threaded pvc D-2466 (top portion of MV) *8 Although doing it over I would just use 1" couplings and cut them put 3/4" pvc in the middle and to space them out.

(1) union 1-1/2" FxF SCH 80 PVC

(3) PVC Coupling 1" SxS PVC 012871625015

(2) 2" ABS coupling HXH

(2) 1-1/2 X 1-1/4 PVC BUSHING SPGXS

If anyone wants more detail, let me know and I can disassemble one part that i haven't glued yet so you can see what did.

To get the T-KAP centered I had to grind some PVC tube down so it could clamp over it and fit into the drain, which is at the bottom of the base. I couldn't find the drain on the receipt.

7FC6233A-DCCA-4F01-B0C5-0163F4811556-11951-00000774BA85D98D.jpg

Ha! I'm a plumber, so I should have identified some of your materials. :lol

The very bottom part looks like a shower drain, turned upside down. That correct? Looks great. You have a great eye for fabricating.

I made one of these a few years ago after seeing your initial post Will. I added flashing LEDs to mine. Most of the parts are from the plumbing section of my local hardware shop (B&Q).
a5a56a2fe836a972a81e0362d6acbce0.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I made one of these a few years ago after seeing your initial post Will. I added flashing LEDs to mine. Most of the parts are from the plumbing section of my local hardware shop (B&Q).
a5a56a2fe836a972a81e0362d6acbce0.jpg

That ended up coming out pretty nice! I like the lights. How did you run them??

I received my Patch in Droid Unit from Shapeways made by Mati this week...I got a rougher print so it’s going to take some more Mr.Surfacer smoothing work...but after that I’ll prep if for air brush and give it some lighting..

69A213FA-38FD-4DB5-96BE-C3417E7F2515.jpg

579507C6-304C-4C58-A7DA-24DA70324172.jpg

That ended up coming out pretty nice! I like the lights. How did you run them??
I bought some model car flashing LEDS from ebay. They run off a 9v battery that's hidden inside the large square box with an on off switch under neath the box. I ran the bulbs up into the 4 outer tubes so the light travels up the tubes. I then used a cap from a sports drink bottle at the top of the tube. I made sure the bulb casing was the same diameter as my outer tubes to ensure a snug fit.

I received my Patch in Droid Unit from Shapeways made by Mati this week...I got a rougher print so it’s going to take some more Mr.Surfacer smoothing work...but after that I’ll prep if for air brush and give it some lighting..

Looks good, but way too small?

Looks good, but way too small?

I’ve been doing some searching on it and I don’t think it was actually in the movie. When people attempt to say it is they use this photo as an example, but I don’t see it and all of these are small. So I think i got the right size and if were using our imaginations I think it doesn’t matter.

DA8640A6-4176-4DD3-8B46-05D31771B177.jpg

I’ve been doing some searching on it and I don’t think it was actually in the movie. When people attempt to say it is they use this photo as an example, but I don’t see it and all of these are small. So I think i got the right size and if were using our imaginations I think it doesn’t matter.

View attachment 428480

No, I can't remember seeing it in the movie or in any of the stills or promo shots. The vaporators in that picture are different than the type most depicted as well, so it's up to everyones own interpretation. I was thinking you might be trying to save a little space. What you have now is the pentagon shape one right?

That's some amazing work, very cool!!

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Some of his stuff are the best on the whole forum, check out the Dewback display, apparently now broken. :(

F33A5C1E-AEBC-4873-A67E-226F6D0E46DC.jpgF33A5C1E-AEBC-4873-A67E-226F6D0E46DC.jpgUpdated; I painted the droid patch-in same color as vaporator and added some chipping with hairspray. Also I used Rub n Buff on the dome, it’s taped up now, but it’s buffed out silver leaf and looks pretty good. If I don’t like it I can always paint over it later.

Lastly, I added a slow blinking light and the combo really makes it pop in person.

F33A5C1E-AEBC-4873-A67E-226F6D0E46DC.jpg

8A57F5A2-D75B-4F56-A8FE-86BD9BC413BB.jpg

DFF759F6-B4EE-4E58-89E9-E119DD6B9A34.jpg

View attachment 430126Updated; I painted the droid patch-in same color as vaporator and added some chipping with hairspray. Also I used Rub n Buff on the dome, it’s taped up now, but it’s buffed out silver leaf and looks pretty good. If I don’t like it I can always paint over it later.

Lastly, I added a slow blinking light and the combo really makes it pop in person.

Awesome Solo !! Would love to see a short iPhone video :)

Are you going to put a Sandtrooper next to it ?

Awesome Solo !! Would love to see a short iPhone video :)

Are you going to put a Sandtrooper next to it ?

The strange thing is it looks better all by itself, but I have my troopers just down the way in the display shelf. I’m not sure how it will all end up when I’m done with my bases for the Sandtroopers. Here’s a video.

Cool ! OK fair enough with the Sandtroopers. I guess that's what I have in mind should I make one of these eventually. Sandtrooper or Farmboy Luke standing next to it.

Back