Newbie Attempt at Dio

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Working on techniques for making sand ripples..

Putting ripples in some areas and foot traffic and bunched up sand where no wind would hit in others..WIP.

I’ve decided to scale back a bit and make a base for my vaporator that presents the piece as more of a sculpture rather than diorama. I’m still working on an overall concept, but I definitely think this looks nicer on the display area and really presents well.

The concept is not finalized, but I like the idea of pipes coming out of the side of the base and having different levels of substrate being presented. We will see how it ends up, but I’m satisfied with the overall presentation.

109FA22C-8AEC-4A25-98C2-14808A8CDD55.jpg

76094BD1-5EDD-48B6-8220-09637253C638.jpg

I’ve decided to scale back a bit and make a base for my vaporator that presents the piece as more of a sculpture rather than diorama. I’m still working on an overall concept, but I definitely think this looks nicer on the display area and really presents well.

The concept is not finalized, but I like the idea of pipes coming out of the side of the base and having different levels of substrate being presented. We will see how it ends up, but I’m satisfied with the overall presentation.

View attachment 427556

Still very impressed with this Solo. Quick question how did you make that main box ? Are they just thin rod pieces stuck on the outside as vents ? Are the rest bits of greeblies also for the peak below the antennae ?

Still very impressed with this Solo. Quick question how did you make that main box ? Are they just thin rod pieces stuck on the outside as vents ? Are the rest bits of greeblies also for the peak below the antennae ?

Thanks, Hoody. The main box was made from a soft wood jewelry box. I believe I bought two pieces, cut them in half and then glued them together to get the shape I was after. The vents on the box are just thin triangular plastic strips that I cut. The shadow from the angle give an appearance of vents.

The rest of the it’s are either made from brass pieces I glued together or from mini train model parts. There’s a ton of bits I looked around for at the Home Depot store, then manipulated to look like something interesting.

Movie prop level.....

Impressive

Sent from the inside of a giant slug in outer space.....

This round I started with a darker Rustoleum textured base to seal the MDF and then used wood epoxy to give the appearance the power cords were covered in piles of sand, after being exposed and pushed up from trenching conduit.. So in some areas I used the Elmer’s wood filler to give a more textured look for the piles of sand and then lightly brushed the wood filler over the Rustoleum to give the impression that there was a darker/harder sand substrates bottom under the lighter sand base top...wood epoxy also covered with a finish with Elmer’s wood filler.

2C8B7C16-6D5E-40AF-98CE-85CF6114AE07.jpg

4119EA78-BBCF-4BBF-9F5F-D0912FCEFAE2.jpg

Hurry up and cast them, and sell them :)

Yes please !!! Even in a couple of pieces to glue together.

I'd even settle for a list or pics of the pieces used to make it. But I guess that may not exist now.

Where's the Sandtrooper ?? Still putting makeup on perhaps ??

Great dio and even as a stand-alone piece. I see allot of plumbing bits for the main body and kinda recognize the base but those outer pieces... styrene tubing? I’d like to try my hand at one of these.

Great dio and even as a stand-alone piece. I see allot of plumbing bits for the main body and kinda recognize the base but those outer pieces... styrene tubing? I’d like to try my hand at one of these.

Is also be up for making one of these if a moulded set is not an option.

Help us Solo Bones you're our only hope.

Ok someone had to say it [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hurry up and cast them, and sell them :)

Haha! For a number of years I’ve been thinking about taking another stab at it so it could be casted....probably more than I could handle. Maybe some of the more talented folks could knock it out? But THANK You! Much appreciated, Mandible!

Yes please !!! Even in a couple of pieces to glue together.

I'd even settle for a list or pics of the pieces used to make it. But I guess that may not exist now.

Where's the Sandtrooper ?? Still putting makeup on perhaps ??

Lol, I need to buy a shrunken version, didn’t nail the scale! Have you seen that new Sandtrooper Statue? That looks great!

Oh, I think I have pictures near the beginning of this thread on what I used..also, I still have pics of more are needed. The tricky part was putting it all together and making it align straight...no pictures for that. ��

Really nice piece solo. Love it. :duff

Thank you, Craig! :hi5:

Back