New Vader Pictures for Those Who Ordered!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup,

They were blood red in ANH. The second proto pics had them red as well.

I hope they are red in the final version.

I'm looking forward to having the SS Vader replace this

This is a really old picture but I'm looking forward to replacing this Kotobukiya version. I've also got the Kotobukiya Boba Fett which I hope Sideshow will release next.

DSC00206-vi.jpg

Nah keep the Koto as well and heck get the GG. Vader is one of the coolest characters ever. To have different versions of him if you have the room would be sweet!:D

Jesseawilson said:
It will be the same when we get a 1/4 PF Aragorn and put it next to the SSW version.

Defenetly. Never liked the small Weta LOTR statues. Most of the human likeness are pretty bad, and the statues pretty small. SS have much better face sculptors than Weta, so the likeness will prolly be way better.
LOTR 1/4 figures will be the ULTIMATE LOTR pieces.

I don't know about the PF Vader. I've had my Exclusive on order from Day One but the sculpture still isn't doing anything for me.

I can't put my finger on it but Vader just doesn't look as impressive as he should. And I'm sure his helmet's a little on the small side.

I'm genuinely thinking of cancelling my order and concentrating on just a selection of the new Star Wars range.

Must admit, though, the light-up features look excellent.

Anakin said:
...Most of the human likeness are pretty bad, and the statues pretty small. SS have much better face sculptors than Weta, so the likeness will prolly be way better...

Although I generally agree with this, I'm sure it's easier to sculpt a likeness in 1/4 scale than 1/6 and I would generally say the Weta likenesses are better on the busts. Also, it's important to keep in mind it's not always the sculptor's fault when a likeness isn't dead on. Look at the 12" Willow figure for example.

jlcmsu said:
...Having Weta be apart of the statue line makes them the definitive versions IMO...

I've never understood this way of thinking. Certainly WETA artists were good but they're not necessarily better than everyone else. For example, I'd take whoever sculpted the NECA Aragorn over the guys that did either the Aragorn Statue or the Bust. That's not to say that they were bad, but in my opinion, the NECA version was better and that sculptor didn't work for Weta.

Fritz said:
Although I generally agree with this, I'm sure it's easier to sculpt a likeness in 1/4 scale than 1/6 and I would generally say the Weta likenesses are better on the busts. Also, it's important to keep in mind it's not always the sculptor's fault when a likeness isn't dead on. Look at the 12" Willow figure for example.

Yup the more room the easier I would assume it would be to make the likeness better.

Fritz said:
I've never understood this way of thinking. Certainly WETA artists were good but they're not necessarily better than everyone else. For example, I'd take whoever sculpted the NECA Aragorn over the guys that did either the Aragorn Statue or the Bust. That's not to say that they were bad, but in my opinion, the NECA version was better and that sculptor didn't work for Weta.

I didn't say the Weta artists are better than everyone else did I? I don't personally think the NECA version is that great and isn't any closer to looking like Viggo than any of the SSW pieces. Their are a lot of talented sculptors out their and hell some even post here or I got to meet at SDCC. Andy, Matt Falls, Oluf Harvingston, Chuck, etc are all very very good at sculpting and they don't work for WETA either. It's the fact that the WETA sculptors worked on these pieces as well as the movies that brought LOTR to life that make them the definitive version. Like I said SS will be getting my money on the 1/4 LOTR line because of the talent at SS, CS, products, and the fact they are keeping LOTR line alive and in a classy way.

(Now I have alot of SSW pieces but) When I say definitive I mean the best looking, most inovative, most impressive, and most accurate. I really dont care who makes it. YAY!! for Weta being involved in the sculpting of the 1:6 SS LOTR line, but if the 1/4 PF are better looking and more accurate the fact the Weta wasn't involved is obviously a plus then. As long as it gets done right I couldn't care less who makes it.

(however unlikely) If Geroge and ILM made vehicle replicas and the Code 3 or MR vehicles were more accurate, inovative, and better looking, well then those I am afraid would be the definitive SW prop.

The name means nothing to me, it's the product that matters. I guess that's what I am trying to say.

Jesse

jlcmsu said:
...I didn't say the Weta artists are better than everyone else did I?... ...It's the fact that the WETA sculptors worked on these pieces as well as the movies that brought LOTR to life that make them the definitive version...

I never said you said that. You're not the only one that seems to favor "Weta" over anyone else. I'm simply trying to understand why.

So in your particular case, what you're saying is that it has nothing to do with the sculpt or piece itself but the fact that Weta was involved in the design of the figures as well as worked on the movies. Sort of a sentimental thing.

Jesseawilson said:
(Now I have alot of SSW pieces but) When I say definitive I mean the best looking, most inovative, most impressive, and most accurate. I really dont care who makes it. YAY!! for Weta being involved in the sculpting of the 1:6 SS LOTR line, but if the 1/4 PF are better looking and more accurate the fact the Weta wasn't involved is obviously a plus then. As long as it gets done right I couldn't care less who makes it.

The name means nothing to me, it's the product that matters. I guess that's what I am trying to say.

That's cool. I know SS will make some great pieces no doubt and I will get some for sure but for me the fact the SSW pieces are so amazing and accurate the fact Weta was involved makes them the definitive piece.

Fritz said:
You're not the only one that seems to favor "Weta" over anyone else. I'm simply trying to understand why.

As I said above I think Weta did the definitive pieces for LOTR. SS as I also said will do amazing pieces as well but the fact that the 1/6th scale pieces not only are amazing but also done by Weta just makes them special. Believe me I will be getting and supporting SS in the 1/4th scale PF line.

Fritz said:
So in your particular case, what you're saying is that it has nothing to do with the sculpt or piece itself but the fact that Weta was involved in the design of the figures as well as worked on the movies. Sort of a sentimental thing.

No, it has everything to do with the piece and sculpt. As a whole I think the SSW line is amazing and so well done. It has some hits and misses don't get me wrong but overall I think that these are the definitive LOTR collectibles. Weta being involved is a Major plus since they helped bring LOTR to life. So it's somewhat sentimental yes but not the major reason why.

Fritz said:
I never said you said that. You're not the only one that seems to favor "Weta" over anyone else. I'm simply trying to understand why.

He is probably protecting his investment. Been there, saw that. :naughty
I have no doubts in my mind that the NEW 1/4 LOTR PF line will be the ULTIMATE, DEFINITIVE LOTR line. :joy :joy :joy

No, no, no!

You are all wrong! According to my crystal ball, the definitive LOTR pieces will come from a company that doesn't exist yet, around the year 2052 when the trilogy gets re-made by Peter Jackson's grandson! :google

Anakin said:
He is probably protecting his investment. Been there, saw that. :naughty
I have no doubts in my mind that the NEW 1/4 LOTR PF line will be the ULTIMATE, DEFINITIVE LOTR line. :joy :joy :joy

Well, I hate to break you the bad news but I'm a fan of LOTR and collect these as well as collecting the 1/4th because of my love for the story!!!! I'm not a money grubbing whore looking to make a buck of LOTR!

lcummins said:
You are all wrong! According to my crystal ball, the definitive LOTR pieces will come from a company that doesn't exist yet, around the year 2052 when the trilogy gets re-made by Peter Jackson's grandson! :google

Damn my magic 8 ball said 2055.:wacky

Migwit said:
"Money grubbing whore"? Geez, jlcmsu, that seems harsh, even for you... :eek:

LOL I'm saying I'm not one. I wasn't calling anyone else one.

TheWitchKing said:
Amen Brother!! SWEET JESUS PRAISE THE LORD!! I could of not said it better myself. :banana

We shall see I guess.

I think there is little doubt that the sculpts from the 1/4 line will be of much higher quality. SS simply has more talented sculptors in the area of human likenesses.

For those who prefer Weta because they worked on the films, how does that apply to humans? Weta Workshop didn't create the intricate wrinkles of Ian McKellan's face, that came from God (insert your preferred deity/belief here).

It simply makes more sense to me to have the people at SS (without the NZ-only sculptors crutch) to craft these figures to the full extent that their talents allow. The humans/humanoids (elves, dwarves, etc.) are what I'm most excited about, simply because the Weta humans are so poor.

I can understand the "Weta connection" with something like the Balrog or Cave Troll since their interpretations of Tolkien's work are what made it on screen, but humans make no sense to me.

Back