New Thundercats Toys from Bandai!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The good thing about bandai making these classic tcats, is there is always room for improvement, so I'm sure will get more modified versions with more accurate detailing and painting in the future

And with He-Man :(

281777_149748975099155_104707792936607_307927_8259635_n.jpg

Hmm... I was thinking these would be taller, but still look alright together, and unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case.

I think they may have missed an opportunity by not making them in scale with MOTUC. Even as a kid, I remember liking having things the same size... Certainly as a collector I'm a lot less likely to pick these up.

Still, might pick up Lion-o, just for fun. We'll see. Probably a good thing not to get into yet another line! :)

Anyone check out the new toon footage that's online? It's not a whole episode, but quite a nice chunk of it.

Looks awesome - better than expected, actually.

Amazon just sent me a confirmation saying that the Deluxe Sword of Omens has just shipped.

It might be time to start checking out store shelves :)

So today I got the 4'' figures. After my relative disappointment with the 6'' Lion-O, I wasn't sure I'd get these... but once I saw them in the store I couldn't resist their charms... and I got the Sword of Omens... and 6'' Panthro and Mumm-Ra. :) But anyway, the 4'' figures....

Note, larger versions of all pics can be seen here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/31045631@N00/sets/72157627352228176/

6007019855_46224a19a2_z.jpg

First of all, I have to say the sculpting on these is really wonderful. They actually seem a bit more on-target matching the look of the characters in the show than the 6'' figures for some reason.

6007563150_0a7efdbc71_z.jpg

They have quite a bit of articulation for 4'' figures. When you think that these are three dollars less than the Young Justice figures from Mattel with a ton more articulation... it's pretty awesome. $6.99! That's a steal these days. Some have more articulation than others, but for the most part I'm very pleased.

6007020369_c2f9e22ea6_z.jpg

On the lower-end of articulation lies... Mumm-Ra!!! Funnily enough, I think he has pretty much the exact same amount of articulation of the vintage figure. I never got the vintage figure (though I dearly wanted it!) but there's just something VERY cool about this figure. I love how the cloak fits on the figure for a start...

6007563294_d7a61afe4c_z.jpg

And there's just something wonderfully evil about his face sculpt. I like his evil version of the cat's claw and sword. I'm definitely interested in seeing what that's all about. I do kind of wish he had his staff from the old figure. Still, maybe we'll see that in the Classic line eventually...

6007020187_82db16bf51_z.jpg

One thing that I found funny... one of the things that REALLY turned me off on the 6'' figures was the black pegs for everything... but for the smaller figures it doesn't bug me at all. Maybe it is because of their size, but in real life you don't really notice them that much. After a while it just sort of blends in. And I'd rather have black pegs than non-articulated statues. I must say how much I like the Wilykit and Wilykat figures! I already like their characters in the show, and the paint and sculpt is so expressive! In fact, all the faces on these figures are great. The paint on Lion-O looks much better than the 6'' figure in my opinion. Also, the Thunderkittens have more articulation than their vintage counterparts, and their hoverboards are a fun addition.

6007562926_48958034ec_z.jpg

One of the figures I was most worried about was Cheetara, as I hadn't seen any fan pics of her and the official pics made her look a little odd. But she's really great, actually. The expression on her face is spectacular, and though she has a v-crotch (which I know some people are going to hate no matter what) she has a thigh cut and a boot cut that allows her to get in very natural poses. I do miss wrist articulation on her, though. Also, her staff is so flimsy I'm tempted to steal a staff from one of my Marvel Universe figures and paint it brown instead.

6007019979_9b4ca9c9d0_z.jpg

But she can do a good running pose! So that's a good thing! And something my vintage Cheetara could never do. And with her staff being so flimsy at least it won't break in two seconds like my vintage figure. One not-so-good-thing... a big brown square in her hair where the magnet is housed for the Thunderlinx action feature. The block itself is distracting on a few figures... but I REALLY wish it had been the color of her hair at least. Oh, and her head can't move because of the hair. But that doesn't bother me TOO much.

6007562810_c8536c2e26_z.jpg

So all in all I'm VERY happy... though my wallet isn't because here's another line I am collecting! I don't know that I'll get everything... but I do want the deluxe Mumm-Ra and Grune figures, and the Thundertank is on it's way to me from Amazon (K-Mart didn't have it.) I am excited to see what the next wave of this line has in store. But at least we got the main cast in one wave.

One thing I would note - if you can pick these out yourself on the pegs I'd recommend it. Most of the paint apps were pretty nice and clean, but some were definitely better than others. The trim on Lion-O's outfit varied from figure to figure, and Tygra's face seemed to slide further down on his face in some figures giving him a slightly odd appearance.

aw man, gotta go on the hunt this weekend. All I want is mumm-ra...thats all im asking for retail stores, please give me this.

So today I got the 4'' figures. After my relative disappointment with the 6'' Lion-O, I wasn't sure I'd get these... but once I saw them in the store I couldn't resist their charms... and I got the Sword of Omens... and 6'' Panthro and Mumm-Ra. :) But anyway, the 4'' figures....

Note, larger versions of all pics can be seen here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/31045631@N00/sets/72157627352228176/

6007019855_46224a19a2_z.jpg

First of all, I have to say the sculpting on these is really wonderful. They actually seem a bit more on-target matching the look of the characters in the show than the 6'' figures for some reason.

6007563150_0a7efdbc71_z.jpg

They have quite a bit of articulation for 4'' figures. When you think that these are three dollars less than the Young Justice figures from Mattel with a ton more articulation... it's pretty awesome. $6.99! That's a steal these days. Some have more articulation than others, but for the most part I'm very pleased.

6007020369_c2f9e22ea6_z.jpg

On the lower-end of articulation lies... Mumm-Ra!!! Funnily enough, I think he has pretty much the exact same amount of articulation of the vintage figure. I never got the vintage figure (though I dearly wanted it!) but there's just something VERY cool about this figure. I love how the cloak fits on the figure for a start...

6007563294_d7a61afe4c_z.jpg

And there's just something wonderfully evil about his face sculpt. I like his evil version of the cat's claw and sword. I'm definitely interested in seeing what that's all about. I do kind of wish he had his staff from the old figure. Still, maybe we'll see that in the Classic line eventually...

6007020187_82db16bf51_z.jpg

One thing that I found funny... one of the things that REALLY turned me off on the 6'' figures was the black pegs for everything... but for the smaller figures it doesn't bug me at all. Maybe it is because of their size, but in real life you don't really notice them that much. After a while it just sort of blends in. And I'd rather have black pegs than non-articulated statues. I must say how much I like the Wilykit and Wilykat figures! I already like their characters in the show, and the paint and sculpt is so expressive! In fact, all the faces on these figures are great. The paint on Lion-O looks much better than the 6'' figure in my opinion. Also, the Thunderkittens have more articulation than their vintage counterparts, and their hoverboards are a fun addition.

6007562926_48958034ec_z.jpg

One of the figures I was most worried about was Cheetara, as I hadn't seen any fan pics of her and the official pics made her look a little odd. But she's really great, actually. The expression on her face is spectacular, and though she has a v-crotch (which I know some people are going to hate no matter what) she has a thigh cut and a boot cut that allows her to get in very natural poses. I do miss wrist articulation on her, though. Also, her staff is so flimsy I'm tempted to steal a staff from one of my Marvel Universe figures and paint it brown instead.

6007019979_9b4ca9c9d0_z.jpg

But she can do a good running pose! So that's a good thing! And something my vintage Cheetara could never do. And with her staff being so flimsy at least it won't break in two seconds like my vintage figure. One not-so-good-thing... a big brown square in her hair where the magnet is housed for the Thunderlinx action feature. The block itself is distracting on a few figures... but I REALLY wish it had been the color of her hair at least. Oh, and her head can't move because of the hair. But that doesn't bother me TOO much.

6007562810_c8536c2e26_z.jpg

So all in all I'm VERY happy... though my wallet isn't because here's another line I am collecting! I don't know that I'll get everything... but I do want the deluxe Mumm-Ra and Grune figures, and the Thundertank is on it's way to me from Amazon (K-Mart didn't have it.) I am excited to see what the next wave of this line has in store. But at least we got the main cast in one wave.

One thing I would note - if you can pick these out yourself on the pegs I'd recommend it. Most of the paint apps were pretty nice and clean, but some were definitely better than others. The trim on Lion-O's outfit varied from figure to figure, and Tygra's face seemed to slide further down on his face in some figures giving him a slightly odd appearance.

Where are you located and which store did you find these at? Maybe it'll give me an idea of how much longer I'll have to wait before they start to show up in my area (South East Virginia).

Found them in Decatur IL. I live about an hour away but was passing through for business. It's easy to try select something for store pickup and you'll be able to tell if it's in stock or not.

I went ahead and ordered Lion-O and Tygra Classics off of TRU for $19.99 each. Also got a free kungzhu for my nephew.

Ditto!
I hate chasing figures all over town, besides my local TRU has no clue when they are getting TC figures...

Was talking to the girl in the breakroom, and she said that the manager mentioned sometime next week they would get them. Asked her if they were street dated, and she wasn't sure, just a quick note from the asst manager before the store opened (prob for callers).

Got her on the look out for me though...for the animated ones since I wanna get a few of those as well.

I went ahead and ordered Lion-O and Tygra Classics off of TRU for $19.99 each. Also got a free kungzhu for my nephew.

I’m dying for the classics but I’d like to pick mine out by hand for the best paint applications, instead of some clerk just grabbing one and dropping in a shipping box without looking at it.

I’m dying for the classics but I’d like to pick mine out by hand for the best paint applications, instead of some clerk just grabbing one and dropping in a shipping box without looking at it.

same, just impatient atm is all. Getting another set once stores start to get them in for a mib set.

Went back and got another Thundertank from TRU after getting a bum one from Amazon. I plan to return the other. I did get a bad one. I actually got a second one from TRU and it's MUCH better. Unfortunately, I have seen posts by several people already who had similar problems. So hopefully it's not too wide spread. After fiddling with it some more for pictures I realized that they made be made to break-away fairly easily rather than break the toy permanently.

Larger pics of all below available here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/31045631@N00/sets/72157627352228176/

It's undeniable the Thundertank looks cool. I do enjoy the launching aspect of it. I'm not planning to get the larger Racers because I think they look kind of silly, but the "drones" the tank comes with are fun as-is. I kind of wish they had handles so they could ride them like bikes, but I'm guessing in the series the tank will actually be much larger and the racers are more representative of what will be attached to the side of the tank.

6013419379_8e9945e51a_z.jpg

The lights and sounds are fun! It is cool how having the figure will change the sounds slightly by adding a voice. Although the sound effects when you launch the racers are a bit delayed. They start making "peeling out" noises long after the racers have stopped moving. It's kind of hard to see, but when the eyes light up it also casts a red glow on the figure, like the panels are lighting up. This is pretty cool.

6013419349_87b2021e1e_z.jpg

The cockpit looks cool when open. As you can see, for the smaller (non-Panthro) figures it's pretty roomy. Also - the magnetic feature is a reveal of a hatch in the back. This is actually very handy for keeping all the spare weapons you aren't currently using for display. I forgot to take a picture of Snarf! I really like Snarf in the new cartoon... so I am sad that he's so out of scale here. I hope they release a more in-scale one down the road.

6013419315_fa4f61926e_z.jpg

The Lizard Cannon was a total impulse purchase... and one of the biggest surprises in how FUN it is!

6013419285_dc40f9731e_z.jpg

The Lizard Trooper figure is fun. I love his goggles. He has a ton of great articulation. The way he sits in the cannon is fun. His tail slides underneath the seat. He can hold onto the lower section of the cannon while another figure (like Grune here) mans the cannon....

6013419259_2ba9c9358a_z.jpg

Or he can grab the cannon on top and the whole thing articulates upward to get those pesky aerial combatants (or to lauch missiles long-range, I suppose.) One thing that I think is funny. Rather than the magnet activating a special feature, it actually ENABLES the missile to launch. If you push on the button without a figure in, the missile won't launch. If the figure is in, this feature is unlocked. Overall I think it's a great vehicle. I like the design and the coloring is a nice metallic green and dark gray.

6013967066_44e3328b75_z.jpg

Next up is deluxe Mumm-Ra! Currently this is the only way to get him in his more fearsome form. I'm assuming we'll see a non-deluxe version down the road should the line do well.

6013419635_090390be57_z.jpg

The action feature is quite a bit of fun. The wings fold in, and then when you pass the magnet in his er... "Mumm-Ra Claw" over his back they spring open. You can then attach the claw to his hand. One funny thing about all the Mumm-Ra's so far in the 4'' scale, they have to hold the swords oddly. I don't know if this was intentional or not, but it actually looks kind of cool. Mumm-Ra's swords are a nice metallic silver. I wish they'd done 4'' Lion-O's swords in this color.

6013419155_6d2f0490f9_z.jpg

Mumm-Ra has quite a bit of articulation and is capable of a good number of poses, even with his tunic. The front of the tunic WILL pop off if you push it too far though. Mumm-Ra also has golden arm bracelets on his upper arms which come off pretty easily. He is at a good scale with Lion-O... though he has a very tiny head upon his massive body. I wonder if in the show he'll actually be much larger than Lion-O.

6013967422_6fbfe51ca7_z.jpg

Grune is pretty nice. This armor limites his articulation a bit, but it's there. I like his large club as it was a cool weapon in the show. I do wish he could hold it with both hands though. His special feature is that when you pass the club over the magnet in his back it extends like it did in the show. He also has a bow, quiver and an arrow. The bow has holes for a string, but no string is attached (due to toy regulations.) The arrow can snap into the bow for poses. The arrow also fits into the quiver. The quiver has a magnet so it can attach to Grune's back, and it has a fold-out bit so it can stand on its own. I plan to display Grune with just his mace, personally.

6013967366_9973c38d7b_z.jpg

The villains assembled! A good crew so far! The neat thing about Grune's quiver is that since it's attached via magnet you can give it to other figures.

6013967304_543e4ef077_z.jpg

Well, I think that's it for me now with the 4'' figures. I'm skipping the deluxe Lion-O and Tygra figures and the Racers. Still undecided about the Tower of Omens. If I do get the latter, I feel like I'd need to give it a more interesting paint job... depending on what it looks like in the cartoon. But I have to say I'm really loving this line overall. I can't wait to see what else they come up with.

Your pictures look really great! I have yet to find any of these at all in the stores. :(

Yeah I went to walmart today...and nothing, I guess I'll hit up TRU whenever I get some extra time. Not to worried about it now.

Ok so I went to TRU and I bought a few of the 8" classics. Lion-O looks really good. Tgyra classics is ok but not that great looking. I really thought I would like the new 6" figures but upon looking at them against the 4" figures --- The 4" figures really do look alot better. The 6" figures just looked kind of cheap and Lion-O's head looked really fake wheras the 4" Lion-O head looked like the cartoon and more realistic. Also, the black peg joints stick out bad on the 6" figs. Mumm-ra 6" just looks bad. The thundertank is awesome so I think I will stick with 4" plus they are half the price.

champaign il

PS I might have to buy that deluxe sword of omens. It's only $20 and looks pretty cool on the reviews on youtube.
I also just orders the thundertank due to it looking pretty sweet in the pictures posted.

When I first saw these new thundercats figures I was not very happy but after watching the first two episodes I am hooked. It is so much better than I thought it would be. The new toys all of a sudden look a lot better to me.

Last edited:
Back