NEW PREDATOR 1 MAQUETTE by Sideshow

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Based from what I’ve seen so far, while I gave the old maquette 8.5/10 due to such hideous pose AND masked portrait being EX, I gave the new maquette 6.5/10, big minus to fused mandibles, missing spine trophy and left pouch. Kudos to its overall appearances which could rivals the original maquette... if looked from at least 0.5 meter away of course.

And I gave Narin’s Encounter 9/10. It’s still one of my most favorite piece so far. But the standalone piece isn’t as good, accuracies aside, it’s 7/10 to me since his new right arm made him looks so weird in certain angles.

Overall, the new maquette look OK so far I may ended up buying this piece though if I like it when I saw it in person AND able to find spine trophy + left pouch for it. Just couldn’t resist, mate (in Jack Sparrow’s voice)

. . . But man spike.. a 4 out of 10?? I just can't look at those comparison pics and see a 5 point difference . . .

I'll admit that I base my score NOT on years of character/franchise admiration, and CERTAINLY not because I'm now less accepting of low-standard product.

I instead turned to the expert opinions of a couple of local boys (Mr. Shatner & Mr. Doohan) and friends.

Their reactions on seeing Sideshow's efforts have been consistent throughout . .

782.gif

. . . But then again if someone put out a JAWS maquette and go the dorsal fin wrong, made the body a tad too thin and messed up the jowls I would always be hard on it also . . .

I thought I was being kind - my Son said it was a "3" :) (* I'm so proud of him *)

Based from what I’ve seen so far, while I gave the old maquette 8.5/10 due to such hideous pose AND masked portrait being EX, I gave the new maquette 6.5/10, big minus to fused mandibles, missing spine trophy and left pouch. Kudos to its overall appearances which could rivals the original maquette... if looked from at least 0.5 meter away of course.

And I gave Narin’s Encounter 9/10. It’s still one of my most favorite piece so far. But the standalone piece isn’t as good, accuracies aside, it’s 7/10 to me since his new right arm made him looks so weird in certain angles.

Overall, the new maquette look OK so far I may ended up buying this piece though if I like it when I saw it in person AND able to find spine trophy + left pouch for it. Just couldn’t resist, mate (in Jack Sparrow’s voice)
There are actually scenes in Predator where the mandibles are completely closed[hense the ''fused' mandibles], and there are scenes where the left pouch is actually missing, so this new Jungle Hunter Predator maquette is actually more screen accurate than first thought...

gotta love these aliens & preds threads, they all sound very familiar. Im just waiting for the 20% discount before everyone buys one [emoji23]

\
Well to be fair.. With even having the ability to do a direct scan the SWS version is not without its accuracy issues.. The inner Teeth are all wrong. Especially the upper two as they are much too large and flair out far too wide. The brow is a tad too lumpy looking and the head seems bumpy in the wrong areas. Head also seems like it could be much wider around the crown. The paint apps also miss some key details and the color scheme is wrong in some areas... So even if they used this as a reference you are still not getting a perfectly accurate predator head sculpt. I am not saying that the SWS version is bad.. Just pointing out that even with a direct scan it still has its issues.
Some aspects of the new version are bit more film accurate but not many. The tubing that connects from the chest armor to the shoulder cannon... Its much too long on the original SWS version.It also looks like the coloring on the new version is a bit more film accurate also as the SWS version seems a bit too brown. And when I look at the very bottom photo I would say that the SWS version is too skinny also.

My point in all of this is that those that own both seem to think the quality is there with this new piece and there seems to be some aspects that are a bit more accurate. However as far as film accuracy goes... It has its glaring issues. I just don't know if I would throw "Inaccurate piece of ****" on it:lol
IMO we have yet to see the perfect Predator 1987 statue.

The sws maquette production piece has different teeth to the prototype and the way they insert into the mandibles is different. The maquette head is the sws life size bust reduced to 1:4 scale.
I guess my point about it being an inaccurate piece of **** is frustration that Sideshow has access to this prototype, plus a bio they had sculpted by Matt Rose and they still inexplicably have proportions incorrect and add things like the ding to the bio that simply shouldn't be there. The bio seems at least 30% too long in the snout. The aesthetic of the closed mandibles throws the size of the head off. It's missing pieces of the suit. And if they'd listened to feedback they could of released a decent statue.

The sws maquette production piece has different teeth to the prototype and the way they insert into the mandibles is different. The maquette head is the sws life size bust reduced to 1:4 scale.
I guess my point about it being an inaccurate piece of **** is frustration that Sideshow has access to this prototype, plus a bio they had sculpted by Matt Rose and they still inexplicably have proportions incorrect and add things like the ding to the bio that simply shouldn't be there. The bio seems at least 30% too long in the snout. The aesthetic of the closed mandibles throws the size of the head off. It's missing pieces of the suit. And if they'd listened to feedback they could of released a decent statue.

That man is right you know!
thumb2.gif

And Jungle Hunter agrees - in fact - he says THIS is how much right he is . . .

the_predator_51.jpg

Well to be fair.. With even having the ability to do a direct scan the SWS version is not without its accuracy issues..

The inner Teeth are all wrong. Especially the upper two as they are much too large and flair out far too wide. The brow is a tad too lumpy looking and the head seems bumpy in the wrong areas. Head also seems like it could be much wider around the crown. The paint apps also miss some key details and the color scheme is wrong in some areas... So even if they used this as a reference you are still not getting a perfectly accurate predator head sculpt. I am not saying that the SWS version is bad.. Just pointing out that even with a direct scan it still has its issues.

I think it was only the armour that was actually scanned which is why the bio on the SWS maquette is perfect, and this new one looks like a bad video game version, not the unmasked head. That head is quite nice in reality, but the teeth are a bit blunt. Given we've had 10 years of improved materials and techniques, you'd expect the new one to blow the old SWS maquette away. But sadly it's the opposite.

gotta love these SIDESHOW aliens & preds threads, they all sound very familiar.

Fixed that for you, and there's a reason for that.

Inflation has also happened in 10 years guys. If Sideshow wanted they could make a Predator Maquette that would blow the old one out of the water, but you wouldn't be paying 1200 bucks for it. You'd be paying closer to 2000.

The factories will produce statues as good as you want, as long as you're willing to pay. In other words, the more you're willing to pay, the better your statue will look.

Inflation has also happened in 10 years guys. If Sideshow wanted they could make a Predator Maquette that would blow the old one out of the water, but you wouldn't be paying 1200 bucks for it. You'd be paying closer to 2000.

The factories will produce statues as good as you want, as long as you're willing to pay. In other words, the more you're willing to pay, the better your statue will look.

With respect, this is nonsense. We've seen what Sideshow can actually do when they inject a bit of love and passion into a project. Their recent Thanos for example is as good as any company could have made. Their Iron Giant maquette is superb! And prime 1 regularly make incredibly impressive, and very large statues for less than that amount of money and their production pieces match. I mean their Dog alien is pretty much perfect, it's 1/3 (huge!) and still only $250 more than this maquette. You are right however that Sideshow could be making much better Predators if they wanted to... So why not do it? $1300 is hardly pocket money. They showed with their Wolf LSB (prototype) that they can do good things with the license when they want to. The recent maquettes seem to be a love free side project sadly, they're just okay..

Here's the thing, I love Sideshow and I spend a fortune with them. But there are other players in town now and they mean business with the Alien & Predator licenses. Sideshow need to work hard to keep up. And I hope they can.

Complete nonsense!
Light statues have a very thin wall/cast whereas heavy statues have thick walls/cast with some parts, arms & legs, being solid.

This has been clearly demonstrated by destroyed pieces over the years. Did you ever see a destroyed Black Panther? That cast was paper thin.

Col don’t even waste your breathe on nonsense. He clearly doesn’t know what his talking about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, Sideshow had a meeting...

'Well guys we need to keep this around the £1,200 mark or it just won't sell as many as we need'.

'Ok boss. If we leave the Spine Trophy out, drop the pouch, make him a bit skinny, squash his head and play around with the leg armour we'll save at least $800 production costs'.

'Give that man a bonus!!!'

'Well guys we need to keep this around the £1,200 mark or it just won't sell as many as we need'.

'Ok boss. If we leave the Spine Trophy out, drop the pouch, make him a bit skinny, squash his head and play around with the leg armour we'll save at least $800 production costs'.

🤣🤣🤣🤣 That’s right and also box this up cheaply also we can shave off another $50 a head!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With respect, this is nonsense. We've seen what Sideshow can actually do when they inject a bit of love and passion into a project. Their recent Thanos for example is as good as any company could have made. Their Iron Giant maquette is superb! And prime 1 regularly make incredibly impressive, and very large statues for less than that amount of money and their production pieces match. I mean their Dog alien is pretty much perfect, it's 1/3 (huge!) and still only $250 more than this maquette. You are right however that Sideshow could be making much better Predators if they wanted to... So why not do it? $1300 is hardly pocket money. They showed with their Wolf LSB (prototype) that they can do good things with the license when they want to. The recent maquettes seem to be a love free side project sadly, they're just okay..

Here's the thing, I love Sideshow and I spend a fortune with them. But there are other players in town now and they mean business with the Alien & Predator licenses. Sideshow need to work hard to keep up. And I hope they can.

But that's my point though. The more you pay a factory, the better they will make your product. This is in regards to quality. Sideshow have always done well with their comic pieces, so I won't compare with Thanos. It's everything else that's hit and miss. Some are a hit, some are a miss.

Prime 1 haven't proven a thing. Wait until that Dog Alien actually ships before you judge the quality on the production piece. Even then, Prime 1 have their own factories. They haven't produced anything from Predator yet to compare, and I've seen Prime 1 statues in person. Yes, some look fantastic, but not all their production pieces are without issues.

This isn't a post defending Sideshow by the way. I've never cared who makes the product I buy. My comment was merely in response to the assumption that 10 years passed = must be better made collectibles due to changes in tech and materials, which I don't think is the case as inflation has also occurred in this time. The cost to make a statue is more expensive now compared to back then, and really, materials have hardly changed. They're still polystone statues.

My post was in response to this quote from Python:

Given we've had 10 years of improved materials and techniques, you'd expect the new one to blow the old SWS maquette away. But sadly it's the opposite.

But nice attempt at being funny man. The spine trophy is the EX hand, and as comparison pics with the old Maquette show, he's clearly not skinny, but that's ok, keep peddling that.

Not going to argue these points though as I don't care. My comment was merely in response to the assumption that since 10 years have passed, we now have better tech and materials and thus should get better quality statues, which I don't think is the case since the cost of making them has also increased. Inaccuracies aside, of course.

More pics from facebook..

The Question is.. Do I sell my P2 after I get my P1 (assuming I am happy with it)? They do look awfully similar due to pose... Of course I am going to have my P2 without mask and P1 with mask so that will help but pose is very close..

27540329_2041737552504910_3105584924501511747_n (2).jpg27332227_2041737199171612_8449537566863564929_n_LI (2).jpg

That picture shows that he isn't too skinny...
It's the oversized head making it look that way.

I think they look terrible as a pair.

Main thought though, look at that stoopid leg armour!

looks good together, planning to have one masked & the other unmasked as well.

Back