New LFL "Star Wars" Packaging Design (Again)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the 30th more. But really Sideshow's original packaging was the best. I hope they don't have to change to this. Although it really doesn't matter much to me because I take the figure out of the box and never look at it again (the box, not the figure).

:lecture :lecture :lecture Although, a vintage style does sound appealing.

never understood the logic of this....

Hey let's make the $5 toys look like the $300 toys.

Marketing people can be bonkers sometimes. Then get them in cahoots with Licensing folks and you can get some real head-scratchers.

Quick and dirty...
SSC.jpg

Cheers,
Doug

Thanks to Mr Crawford, I stole one of yr box photos

There's nothing wrong with wanting consistency in products. It's actually smart marketing. A consumer can walk into any store and identify the products by the packaging. It makes their product stand out from others and they're also easier to find.

I'm out of the loop, I guess. I'm not a big fan of SW (anymore) and I don't collect 3 3/4 scale but the blue & white packaging hypnotized me everytime I walked past them, to the point where I actually almost bought a couple.

I think the red & white looks pretty good, too.

It cannot possibly get worse than the Ep I. & Ep.III packaging.....:lol

I liked Sideshow's original design and never knew why they changed it.

Because LFL made them for the 30th Anniversary year in 2007. Problem is, Sideshow kept it after that instead of going back to their far-superior original design.

And it spilled over into Indy, making them use that ugly maroon monstrosity for packaging.

I don't keep the boxes, but it's kinda cool when you get a figure and even just opening the shipping package and seeing the figure box can be fun and exiting if the artwork is neat, I recently got my Two-Face form Hot Toys and took a moment to admire the box art before checking out the figure, but these LFL overused designs just make you wish the figure came loose in a bag, they're not that strong and get really old quick.

Good point MaulFan, it is always nice when the box is like an appetizer for the main course. I always liked their Bond packaging with the movie poster on the front. I actually have each Bond's box pinned to the wall behind him. It enhances the display imo.

What was nice about the original Star Wars packaging was, even though it followed a formula, each piece had an artistic flare to it, but the new style of just cutting the figure out of the SSC photo and slapping it against LFL's generic backgrounds is just meh. As soon as the 30th anniversary style came in, LOTR became the best packaging look SSC had, very creative, I wish Indy could have had similar done for it. G.I. Joe looks really cool, pretty much just LFL properties look bleh in the SSC lineup.

Yeah, I love the original design by Kenner, I also like the Saga 2006 & 30th anniversary cards as well. This one is alright, better than last years.

But hasbro needs to update/change cards every year, because if justifies to the collector that you have to buy another Vader, Luke, Anakin, Chewbacca, C-3PO, leia, Han, you get the picture....This is why I quit Hasbro and why Ive sold most of my collection...The only ones I still have is 10-20 30th Anniversary carded ones(because I love the art) and the vintage collection (remakes)...

What was nice about the original Star Wars packaging was, even though it followed a formula, each piece had an artistic flare to it, but the new style of just cutting the figure out of the SSC photo and slapping it against LFL's generic backgrounds is just meh. As soon as the 30th anniversary style came in, LOTR became the best packaging look SSC had, very creative, I wish Indy could have had similar done for it. G.I. Joe looks really cool, pretty much just LFL properties look bleh in the SSC lineup.

:confused: All they basically did was add gray sides to the box! Sideshow's OG boxes were already black with product photos on them.

It's subtle, but I like the small touches that made it look more interesting, the cloud effect, the unique color for each division, blending a movie photo and the figure together, and the images were frame in a way. I just don't care for the 30th and Indy designs where the product image just floats on top of a background and I don't care for the backgrounds at all.

2104_press07-001.jpg

I'd really love to see Star Wars packaging at LOTR quality.

It's subtle, but I like the small touches that made it look more interesting, the cloud effect, the unique color for each division, blending a movie photo and the figure together, and the images were frame in a way. I just don't care for the 30th and Indy designs where the product image just floats on top of a background and I don't care for the backgrounds at all.

2104_press07-001.jpg

I'd really love to see Star Wars packaging at LOTR quality.

I see what you mean. After comparing Mace's box with Ki's, it's the little nuances that stand out. While I still don't see that stark a contrast between the two, nostalgia does pull me more toward the original. While I also like the LOTR boxes, I'd still prefer Sideshow's magnetic box and am thrilled they're also using it for the Joes.

Back