New Ghostbusters Figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
why buy this when you have to rebuy the figures again and only half the team is being made with removable back packs

If they would of sold the car with the new figures for $215,I would of ordered one.

Looks like the PKE Meter is back as well. Any chance the Ghost Trap will ever return?

ToyGuru said the Ghost Trap won't get re-issued... so no... PKE meter has been available due to it being the second run.

why buy this when you have to rebuy the figures again and only half the team is being made with removable back packs

If they would of sold the car with the new figures for $215,I would of ordered one.

You can order just the car. And I'm pretty sure the existing GB can be modded to loose the proton pack, they would still have the straps though.

I haven't followed, really any Matty Ghostbusters talk apart from what's in this thread, so I'll take your word for it, but my guess would be that MOTU has a much bigger collector base than Matty Ghostbusters. No? That would really account for more support for subscriptions and the castle or what have you.

I think it was someone mentioned in previous years sub campaign. The MOTUC started as a toy line and this is a remake of the same toyline. So collectors know they are getting and many figures already have a broad popularity and it's a matter of which character are they making this year and when. In a way it's less chance for cherry picking.

Ghostbusters on the other hand is a toy line based on a movie with 4 main characters/heroes. So the challenge is what else they can do after releasing the 4 main heroes? The Villains are a good idea but not a lot of characters are in 6" size. So basically you get a toyline that will decline in popularity after 4 figure releases. I'm not saying that fans aren't interested in female supporting characters or GBII uniforms but this line certainly has a limit for how long it can last. A lot has to do with Mattel's planning which I won't go into details with (3000words of opinion omitted)
And I think the GB got failed to renew a year3 sub which was when we got all 4 GB, Virgo and even a Walter Peck which fans weren't too enthusiastic about . Many people don't see any possible future release that would interest them. Why would they want to spend more $200 to buy the same figures again with removable proton packs?Or an action figure of the mayor? Mattel's great idea of not revealing characters in the sub didn't help at all.

Yeah, I think the differences in popularity of the two lines is completely understandable. Ghostbusters, to me, is a line more conducive to having high end collectible success. There are only a handful of really essential characters (so collectors could get them all without really breaking the bank), and the source is something that kids could have been into years ago, but adults can really get into now, as the film was a truly brilliant comedy/action/horror/sci-fi film. If Hot Toys had any sense, they would be pursuing this line IMO.

Instead of assuming the ecto isn't gonna be worth the price how about pre-ordering and forcing Matty to make the thing. Then if it ends up not being worth the price you can cancel.

I'm not playing their game personally. If they make it, and it's great, I may buy. The stupid pre-order process to get something produced (of which we know very few actual details) by a multi-billion dollar corporation is extremely lame. I won't support it. They should understand the market well enough to know if it is worth the risk or not without these dumb, really marketing and promotional tactics.

People still don't seem to understand that MattyCollector is a very small part of Mattel, they don't get the resources a line like Barbie, Hot Wheels or even Max Steele gets... that's WHY they do things this way. It sucks *****, I hate it, but it is what it is.

There's no risk for costumers, you don't get charged until it ships, you can cancel if during the process you don't like what you see, or you can even return it if you don't like what you got.... :dunno

Anyway...
not that it matters... but hey... I'm an optimist...

The Real Ecto-1: Inspiration for Our Version
Posted by Admin on August 16th, 2013

Ghostbusters™ Fans,
Recently the entire Mattel Ghostbusters™ team escaped the asylum and visited the Sony lot to see the actual Ecto-1 from the first Ghostbusters™ movie. The mission was to make sure our version is as cool as possible, and you better be ready to believe us… we had a total blast!
After a little geeking out (okay, a lot of geeking out) the designers, engineers and marketing teams got down to work inspecting every inch of the actual vehicle used in the movie. Our partners at Sony were patient while we asked questions, took detailed notes, and tons of pictures to bring back to the Design Center, and now we’re more stoked than ever about producing the Ecto-1.
There have been other Ecto-1 vehicles, but never one in scale to 6” Ghostbusters™ figures, and never one with so many amazing details from the film, like flashing headlights, a beacon that lights up (with both blue and red lights!), opening doors and trunk, and authentic Ecto-1 siren. The vehicle will also play of portion of one of the most recognizable movie theme songs of all time, “Ghostbusters.” Oh, and did we mention the new 6” Peter Venkman and Ray Stantz figures? If the Ecto-1 gets produced, we’ll also produce two figures with a newly sculpted torso that allows them to actually sit inside the new Ecto-1.
A final note… this is a work-in-progress and features may be added or removed from the proposed design, so we can’t confirm anything now. Mattel will do everything to everything to ensure we deliver as much value as possible!

Want to park the Ecto-1 in your own collection? The only way production can go forward is if we meet the minimum pre-order goal by August 19 so pre-order your Ghostbusters™ Ecto-1 today!

It's not an excuse... :dunno
Some people think they are "sticking it to the man" by not subbing or pre-ordering... now THAT is lame...

Anyway...
I don't see it happening regardless... :(

Ecto_600x600_v10.jpg

The truth is, this is Mattel. If they decide they want to run their online shop like some guy down the road soliciting a custom figure project, then that's their decision. I don't think anyone there with any clout will care much one way or the other if this happens (or it would happen regardless), so. . .

Putting that aside, like I said before, price is ridiculous anyway. Some of you are suggesting that people pre-order just for the hell of it on the off chance the product is somehow more magnificent than anyone has any reasonable reason to expect. It would be disingenuous for me to pre-order based on that premise anyway.

I've already said...Mattel give me both The Ecto-1 and the two new figures with removable packs for $215 and then I'll get one

Either way, all the complaining and disagreeing about this won't change the fact this isn't getting made. Too bad IMO. I really wanted this.

Exactly... there's nothing to loose here... :wave

How many days do we have? I am still wanting this too but I am concerned about the quality but I may as well order two if it helps.

Same as MOTU... Monday is the last day...
Do it dude!!! :rock!

Some of you are suggesting that people pre-order just for the hell of it on the off chance the product is somehow more magnificent than anyone has any reasonable reason to expect. It would be disingenuous for me to pre-order based on that premise anyway.

If it's something you have the slightest bit of interest in why would you not pre-order? There is literally no risk in pre-ordering and giving them the benefit of the doubt. You have absolutely nothing to lose. If they end up making a crappy car and everyone cancels as a result they will be forced to take a bath on the costs and learn a harsh lesson in the process. I don't like the way this is being handled anymore than you do, but they're being reasonable and giving people the freedom to cancel at anytime, so I really don't see the problem.

Let me preface this by saying that I did in fact pre-order this. That being said, this would have to be truly, amazingly, mind-blowingly awesome for it to be worth $215. I'm talking fully sculpted interior, working head lights and sirens, etc. I think the bar for collectible vehicles right now is the '89 Batmobile, and that cost some $600+, but you can see where all the money went. Unfortunately with Mattel, a lot of there stuff just feels a bit over priced when compared to what you get. I understand labor and materials have gone up, but that doesn't mean my expectations have lowered. I mean, $20 for a DC figure that uses the same standard buck they've been using since 2008 seems a bit much, especially when the new DCC figures are a bit cheaper and are usually all unique sculpts seems like a poor value.

Mattel is in the unfortunate position where they want to have collector lines but are still run as part of the mega corporation that they are, and can't do things that a NECA or a Hot Toys can.

Its not a question of cost, more as its a question of value.

I'm not playing their game personally. If they make it, and it's great, I may buy. The stupid pre-order process to get something produced (of which we know very few actual details) by a multi-billion dollar corporation is extremely lame. I won't support it. They should understand the market well enough to know if it is worth the risk or not without these dumb, really marketing and promotional tactics.

Completely agree. My whole complaint is this stupid game and I ain't playing.
There is no "sticking it to the man" mentality. I don't want to do this dance with Mattel. I get the just order and cancel angle, but I don't want to do that; I shouldn't have to.
I know that's how Mattel wants to handle this matter and that's fine.

Back