New Ghostbusters Figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jesus you guys just love to bicker don't ya?!

I can compare them in terms of finishing quality. By that I mean, you pick up a Hot Toys and you can see where the money goes in most cases.

Will this Ecto 1 have the quality of a $200+ toy?

Castle Grayskull looks great but £200 is still a lot. Mattel's high end items like the Hover Board isn't worth that money either in some circles.

The only other $200 toys I own are Hot Toys. This is why I compare them. Comprende? :)

I'm with Eamon on this one. Yeah, a Hot Toys vehicle is $600. And people generally seem to think you're getting what you pay for. A typical Hot Toys figure is around $200 now. A typical Matty figure is around $20, right? So let's look at relative expectations. A Matty figure costs about 1/10 times as much as a Hot Toys figure. A proposed Matty Ecto would cost about 1/3 the cost of a Hot Toys vehicle. And there's your problem. It isn't absolute cost, it is relative cost. No way on earth is a cheap, plastic Ecto in scale with 6" figures going to be worth 1/3 the price of a high end Hot Toys vehicle. If it was die cast like a scaled up Hot Wheels version, they you could have an argument, but from my understanding this is not a realistic expectation.

Just offering my point of view... I think this will be $200 vehicle with all the bells and whistles. Maybe not metal, but it doesn't really matter IMO. If there's anyone that can do vehicles right is Mattel... comprende? :lol

Just offering my point of view... I think this will be $200 vehicle with all the bells and whistles. Maybe not metal, but it doesn't really matter IMO. If there's anyone that can do vehicles right is Mattel... comprende? :lol

No Comprende!
What are you basing that opinion on? The cheap Batmobile they just released? The very dissapointing Hover Board?

Hot Wheels is totally different bag and department from the team making this Ecto One.

This is not to say you are wrong, but I am just wondering why you are so confident we will get our moneys worth here.

Edit: Urban Dictionary: comprende
www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=comprende‎
To Understand, usually ask in a question, which is finished with Comprende.

Would this Ecto1 have a fully sculpted and detailed interior, a la the current Hot Toys Batman? I would say that comparing the potential of Ecto 1 to the current Batmobile is pretty spot in, since that's the only other vehicle this Matty division has made recently.

If that's the case, there is no way the Ecto 1 is worth the $$$ they want. I doubt it will have a fully sculpted interior, for one. That Batmobile is barely worth the $60 it costs. A couple of lights and sounds don't make the extra $150 worth it, IMO. Matty totally missed the ball with this one, but I sometimes wonder if they almost set this up to fail. $210 for this is way too much, they must've known that it wasn't going to go through.

No Comprende!
What are you basing that opinion on? The cheap Batmobile they just released? The very dissapointing Hover Board?

Hot Wheels is totally different bag and department from the team making this Ecto One.

This is not to say you are wrong, but I am just wondering why you are so confident we will get our moneys worth here.

Edit: Urban Dictionary: comprende
www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=comprende‎
To Understand, usually ask in a question, which is finished with Comprende.

Hey Eamon... I am mexican... I know what it means... :slap
Anyway... the only way to know for sure it this Ecto-1 is good or not is have it produced. Otherwise were just basing our opinions on anything but facts. ;wave

Yeah, my assumption is that it would be comparable to the Batmobile. Now I will say that I understand an increase in price beyond mass retail. Reason being, potential sales will be a lot lower, and the production costs would be way up (unlike figures, Matty can't create a new Ecto from parts of old vehicles). So there is an economy of scale issue. But consumers of these products aren't going to concern themselves so much with those issues. The bottom line is--does it seem worth what it costs?

Going to my earlier point, the Batmobile is $60--1/10th the price of a Hot Toys equivalent, same as the toys. I think that makes sense. Asking fans to pay $200+ is the same as if Matty said they would do a new 6" Ghostbusters figure for 1/3 the cost of a regular HT figure, or $66. Some would pay, but not many, hence the failure of Matty to reach its target pre-order level.

Oh, yeah... I mean... I see that their approach is flawed, but they are trying to get this out there... I really don't quite get their business model when it comes to Ghostbusters, but I do know Ghostheads are hard to please and really hold grudges, unlike the MOTU fandom that comes together to save the line.
The Ghostheads are more in the "screw you Mattel" camp... and they have reason to be like that... I was pissed off at Matty when they cancelled last year's sub and how they handled the character selection.

This line would have a better chance in the hands of NECA, but despite all that, I am willing to give Mattel the benefit of the doubt.
They've done an amazing job with the prop replicas, so I think they would do a kick-*** job on this particular case.

If not, I can always cancel or return it, but the only way we will know if they make a nice Ecto-1 is to pre-order it. ;)

I do know Ghostheads are hard to please and really hold grudges, unlike the MOTU fandom that comes together to save the line.
The Ghostheads are more in the "screw you Mattel" camp... and they have reason to be like that...
I haven't followed, really any Matty Ghostbusters talk apart from what's in this thread, so I'll take your word for it, but my guess would be that MOTU has a much bigger collector base than Matty Ghostbusters. No? That would really account for more support for subscriptions and the castle or what have you.

Oh, of course... TG has said that even when the GB line was "selling-out" it wasn't as overwhelming as it is with MOTU.
I think GB has plenty of fans, but I think Mattel over-estimated their tolerance to B.S. :lol

I haven't followed, really any Matty Ghostbusters talk apart from what's in this thread, so I'll take your word for it, but my guess would be that MOTU has a much bigger collector base than Matty Ghostbusters. No? That would really account for more support for subscriptions and the castle or what have you.

Ghostheads don't seem to be much into the collector community aspect of the line. Their big thing obviously is the props themselves. Plus, Ghostbusters doesn't lend itself as much to an action figure line, at least when compared to MOTU. Granted Matty made about every possible wrong decision with the Ghostbusters line, but at the end of the day they got out just about every character that warranted a figure with the exception of Gozer and the Terror Dogs.

I still think had they done this vehicle in 2010-2011, for what costs were back then, at around $120-$150, it would've sold like hot cakes. Now, most people who care have already sworn off Matty, the rest of us knew that this was a pipe dream even when they offered it at SDCC.

I think that part of the mistake was to focus solely on the movies, and ignore the amazing toys that the vintage Real Ghostbusters line had to offer... but it's not viable under Matty's collector's approach that focuses on reusing bucks, over and over and over again.

Back