New Ghostbusters Figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was pretty obvious to me based on the trailer that the connections were part of a marketing decision, and not tied into the story itself.

Yeah, that was the conclusion I came to as well. It almost wouldn't make sense in how these characters are being presented to have them have a connection to the old Ghostbusters. It would be too convenient story-wise to have all the same characters be pretty much exact duplicates of their counterparts. Also, it would take away what their trying to do if these new Ghostbusters didn't invent their own gear. It could have been done, but this is by all accounts a hard reboot.

There is that term 'soft reboot' which is what I got from the trailer.

Has there ever been a trailer like this before? i.e. one that references an older version of the same movie but not at all linked? As this is a new one to me.

Which is not to say that you guys are wrong at all. What you guys say does make sense.

As you know, the first full trailer for the new Ghostbusters movie hit the net today (but you don't know I just happened to get my set of four posters as well), so it seems quite appropriate to look back at the original films and the new deluxe figures from DST. The regular versions of Winston, Ray, and Louis came out before Christmas, but these deluxe releases with the diorama pieces just started to ship:

Review and photos of Diamond Select Ghostbusters Winston, Ray, Louis action figures

You can also find the review with the rest at the usual:

Captain Toy, Michael Crawford's Action Figure and Toy Reviews

Thanks for reading, and have a great weekend!

Michael

There is that term 'soft reboot' which is what I got from the trailer.

Has there ever been a trailer like this before? i.e. one that references an older version of the same movie but not at all linked? As this is a new one to me.

Which is not to say that you guys are wrong at all. What you guys say does make sense.

If this was an actual sequel to the franchise and not a reboot, I might be more open to this. I took the reference of the original in the beginning of the trailer as a crutch for the franchise to help the studio sell it. Since this is a reboot and not connected to the original, I think they should have not referenced the original at all. Let it go on its own merit.

I thought the ghost effects looked good, but the jokes seemed forced and I did not find overly funny. Leslie Jones continued to show she has absolutely no acting range by still being the loud, sassy, New York black woman. McKinnon may be the surprise of this movie.

Woke up this morning looking forward to seeing the new trailer.

All in all... I liked it. McKinnon looks just like Egon from the cartoon...

It's way more cartoony then I thought it would be, with the bright colored ghosts, kinda like those Scooby Doo movies a few years back. The humor... was alright, not LOL funny but enough for a grin or 2 and I have faith they saved the good ones for the actual movie.

Slimer looked excellent, and couldn't hurt to put a smile on my face when they were shooting their proton packs. Look forward to seeing it, and no matter what, it would never tarnish my love for the originals anyways. Just hope this juices up the franchise, and we see more stuff with other teams.

Don't comedies usually put out first trailers that are usually aimed at younger audiences with the more slap stick and obvious comedy?

First trailers can be hit and miss but I may, just may have to climb down from my previous position about being sure the movie will be good.

Ghostbusters was very very unapologetic boys town or male centered and that is one of the things that made it work. Girls just aren't as funny as boys and maybe this will be a big problem.

It did have some scenes that made it feel very Ghostbustery like and I got that feeling as a kid. Though there were more that didn't feel that way.

I think we need another trailer.

I think we need another trailer.

Absolutely. But here's my thing. This is the first look of the movie that everyone was going to have. This movie has received alot of criticism (from me included :wink1:) and this is the best trailer they could come up with? Really? Not a good first impression. And the last scene of the trailer with Leslie Jones slapping McCarthy is the "Funny" scene they thought would be best to end the trailer with? Jeez.

Ghostbusters was very very unapologetic boys town or male centered and that is one of the things that made it work. Girls just aren't as funny as boys and maybe this will be a big problem.

I wouldnt agree with that. Both films revolve around Sigourney Weaver's character, she's able to keep up with Venkman's sarcastic with and give it back to him as good as he gives and next to Murray probably has the most dialogue or screen time of anyone in the film.

It's like a lamer version of the original. The costumes aren't as good, the weapons aren't as cool, the new Ecto 1 sucks, their headquarters is not as cool either....the only thing that's better are the ghosts and monsters...maybe.

I'd much rather see a reboot based on the animated series instead.

So, did I miss out on the TRU exclusive series 1 versions of Ray and Winston or are TRU's still restocking?

So, did I miss out on the TRU exclusive series 1 versions of Ray and Winston or are TRU's still restocking?

Possibly. Think it depends on where you live. My tru first got them right before Christmas. I didn't see Ray and Winston at all, just Louis(whom I bought). A few weeks later, saw another lone Louis, which means they got another case and again Ray and Winston boom instantly gone. Couple weeks later, yet another lone Louis but this time Ray and Winston were there too. I bought both and then there was another lone Louis...who's still there as of a few days ago. The point of this story is I think you have to kind of get lucky. I think I got mine from walking in the store on a day they had just restocked or something. I'm dreading how hard it will be to get the second assortment.

Incidentally, I live in Kansas city, mo and it seems like here every collector in this area goes to the same handful of spots to buy figures which is why NOTHING of any value here stays on shelves long. Don't know what it's like in your city.

Thank you for the reply, darthkush.

I guess I'll just occasionally pop into a TRU and see what I find. Maybe, I'll get lucky. I would assume these are close to the NECA figures, although lately, stuff is scattered all over the store.

A look at Series 2. Dana is still a soft sculpt, but she actually looks better than I thought. I'm excited to get the rest of the main four guys.

If I was to get them all, I'd pick up a Ripley head for Dana.

These aren't good enough quality for me to go all in though. I'm gonna pick the 4 guys. Mostly an improvement over the Mattel offerings, except Winston.

Back