New Ghostbusters Figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think folks are being just as unfair as they normally are when a movie that represents such an important piece of their childhood is being remade. I would feel the same way about Gremlins and BTTF. Hell, I felt the same way about TMNT but ended up seeing it because my kids did and actually enjoyed it. As far as the 4 Ghostbusters, the only one I just can't stand is McCarthy...I find Wiig to be funny, and I don't know anything about the other 2. My disdain comes from my memories and personal attachments to a film from my youth. It's fairly common for us to hold onto things like that as we get older.

I do totally understand that, I am a massive GB fan and I hold on to things too, but I say again, none of us has even seen anything from this movie yet and to judge it like it has been, is categorically unfair.
That and the fact that there are a lots of folks out there who do take exception to boys being replaced with girls and have not been shy about saying that. Not saying that folks are out and out sexist here on these forums but I do feel some here have skirted around this issue and comments do read a certain way.

I do not like the casting or the director's pompous attitude about this. Because of that is why I don't like this movie. I don't need to see anything. I don't really care if people don't like my reasoning. It's my reasoning. I choose to make that my opinion. If this was a sequel with some females, great. I might be open to it. But as I have said before, this is a blatent rip off/reboot of the original that will "try" to pay homage to the original when it most likely won't be able to hold a candle to the original.

Jesus, if you want to complain or talk about this movie, there is a thread about it. Let's try to keep this about the toys.

I for one agree with you Eamon about the Venkman sculpt. Not perfect. But neither was Mattel. At least DST is doing figures Mattel didn't do. That is why I'm giving the edge to DST at this time.

At least DST is doing figures Mattel didn't do. That is why I'm giving the edge to DST at this time.

Which ones are they doing that Mattel didn't do? The first two series were covered by Mattel. What else do they have planned? I'm just curious because I haven't been keeping up with the DST line. Once I saw the sculpts I knew I was out.

and apart from the fact they catch ghosts from a low rent base of operations, trap the ghosts with homemade tech and have a special car to chase after the ghosts. ;)

I am just challenging your the point that Ghostbusters was so "original" that this new movie should be regarded as front to that by some.
It sounds like you may be focusing more on the cartoon (which debuted after the movie) than the live action show. I've not seen too much of the live action show, but at least several episodes didn't focus on ghosts at all, but monsters like Frankenstein. Any connections are extremely thin and cosmetic, and no real attempt was made to connect the '84 film to the '70s show in the minds of moviegoers, whereas the new film is very explicitly trying to capitalize/build on the '84 film instead. That's my point. But sure, there is nothing completely new under the sun if that's your argument. Star Wars was derived from Kurosawa films, Indiana Jones was derived from movie serials and Disney comics, He-Man was derived from Conan, etc.

Which ones are they doing that Mattel didn't do? The first two series were covered by Mattel. What else do they have planned? I'm just curious because I haven't been keeping up with the DST line. Once I saw the sculpts I knew I was out.

Janine for sure and I heard the terror dogs. The line is supposed to have 12 initial figures so hopefully not too many Matty redo's.

I do not like the casting or the director's pompous attitude about this. Because of that is why I don't like this movie. I don't need to see anything. I don't really care if people don't like my reasoning. It's my reasoning. I choose to make that my opinion. If this was a sequel with some females, great. I might be open to it. But as I have said before, this is a blatent rip off/reboot of the original that will "try" to pay homage to the original when it most likely won't be able to hold a candle to the original.

Theres that and hollywoods treatment of 80's franchises that were once so successful. Just look at the terminator and robocop series for example. I can tell this ghostbusters movie is going to be a stinker. I dislike the uniforms and car and having an all female cast is just ridiculous. I'm not sexist or anything but even if they had a mixed cast it would have been a better idea. I'm all for giving things a chance but what they have done to the ghostbuster legacy is scandalous.

Girlfriend got me this baby for my birthday. Cant wait to put it together.
f7UFNPr.jpg

...you mean future wifey?!?! SHE'S A KEEPER. LOCK IT DOWN.

Congrats!! Still deciding if I'm going to pull the trigger. My wife is surprisingly on board with it on account of it's crazy amount of awesomeness.

(and happy b-day!)

None of the arguments seem fair or reasonable to me. GB was an 1984 movie, based and shot in 1984 New York. One of the main actors is dead. That world is gone. You could argue a case for basing a sequel in 1984 sure but much of what made that movie special is gone.

There was no way I can see to ever bring that back. It was a movie of it's time.

I am not expecting it to come near the original, it could never anyways but it could at least be good.

The original movie is not going anywhere. This new movie will not erase the old movie.

I'll just put this here....
FilmationGhostbusters.jpg

my only complaint, with the new ghostbusters movie, is that they're not going to even attemtp to connect it to the old films at all. this, i think is a mistake.

how hard would it have been, to set it in the same universe, 30 years later, and have an aging akroid, for example, pass the torch, as the sole remaining ghostbuster?

Venkman would have retired, have spengler actually be dead, Winston retired, or still around, and Stanz is the only one still in the buisness, but has gotten " too old for this ****"

Can't use Venkman/Murray as he would potentially steal the scene, and make the new stars be less impactful. I think Akroid would have enough reverence for his brainchild to not get in the way. Similarly with Ernie Hudson, if they wanted to use him. he's not a big enough star to steal the show.

All that's just my opinion, and i plan to see the new one when it releases, and will reserve judgement till then.

for diehards who want the "ORIGINAL" movie, and nothing to do with the new one, i direct your attention to the IDW ghostbusters comics. they're FANTASTIC, and do an excellent job of capturing the feel of the films.

I hope you will post pics Deckard?

my only complaint, with the new ghostbusters movie, is that they're not going to even attemtp to connect it to the old films at all. this, i think is a mistake.

how hard would it have been, to set it in the same universe, 30 years later, and have an aging akroid, for example, pass the torch, as the sole remaining ghostbuster?

Venkman would have retired, have spengler actually be dead, Winston retired, or still around, and Stanz is the only one still in the buisness, but has gotten " too old for this ****"

Can't use Venkman/Murray as he would potentially steal the scene, and make the new stars be less impactful. I think Akroid would have enough reverence for his brainchild to not get in the way. Similarly with Ernie Hudson, if they wanted to use him. he's not a big enough star to steal the show.

All that's just my opinion, and i plan to see the new one when it releases, and will reserve judgement till then.

for diehards who want the "ORIGINAL" movie, and nothing to do with the new one, i direct your attention to the IDW ghostbusters comics. they're FANTASTIC, and do an excellent job of capturing the feel of the films.

Aaaand you have been just proved massively incorrect...again!!. ;)

Did ya watch the trailer and seen that it is tied in with the original movie?

I Saw that a few min ago, and am delighted to be wrong, but completely confused.

didnt they say before the movie was a full on reboot and not connected in any way to the originals? When did this change?

YeH, according to the director, the trailor nods to the orignal films, but its not connected to the old films, but instead will have nods to the old film. Bummer.

Bustle

oh well. The comics established parallel worlds, so my headcanon will just file it there.

also, why so salty? Wrong again? Ive barely posted in here, or about the film. Did you perhaps mistake me for someone else?

YeH, according to the director, the trailor nods to the orignal films, but its not connected to the old films, but instead will have nods to the old film. Bummer.

Bustle

oh well. The comics established parallel worlds, so my headcanon will just file it there.

also, why so salty? Wrong again? Ive barely posted in here, or about the film. Did you perhaps mistake me for someone else?

I didn't intend to be that salty. But yes, tis my bad, I did totally confuse you with someone else there. My apologies. If you are at SDCC this year, i will buy you a pint. :)

Qite alright. Wish i could make it to SDCC. Ive never had the priviledge. I look forward to making it one day. Hell, given my job, we probably should be there.

Aaaand you have been just proved massively incorrect...again!!. ;)

Did ya watch the trailer and seen that it is tied in with the original movie?
Was pretty obvious to me based on the trailer that the connections were part of a marketing decision, and not tied into the story itself.

Back