New GG LOTR Bust

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Saruman is easily my fave

SanDiegoComicCon2006077.jpg

Hi Everyone,

From what I heard GG has this really expensive laser scanning machine so they actually scan the Actor/Actress and that's how the bust is made. Which is how most of their items from the past year are so accurate. They both look great and are reasonably priced and I do not think you will be seeing ultra high edition sizes on these so I think it's going to be a great line. Kudos to GG.

Thanks,
Mike

For CG effects purposes I believe all the actors are scanned when making the movie and those scans may be done by GG as well.

This will be the first GG line that I've gotten in on in the beginning so I'm excited about not having to play catch up. And the busts look OK too.

I dont understand all the hype.

SSW did an excellent job on Gandalf, Saruman and the Ringwraith. And they didn't cheat by using a scanner. It just seems funny to my how alot of people are all over this line, when its been done before and done good. It seems if its new its great.

I'm still a WETA fan, GG stuff looks good, but again its been done. And the stupid "draw" is dumb. GG must of wanted this line bad. I wonder if the edition sizes will be as high as the SW line.
9403.jpg

9430R.jpg

9424.jpg

I totaly agree with NASEDO on this one, the Nazgul Sideshow Weta one blows the GG out of the water hands down and its in a larger scale too!

I'll have to get one of each of these as I like to have something from every line and manufacturer represented in my collection but I won't mass collect them. I think they did a good job on the busts but I prefer the larger scaled Weta versions as well.

Hi Everyone,

NASEDO, I agree the original Weta statues and busts are superb. I collect them and own every single piece made by SSW for LOTR except the Bronze Gandalf. But the technology GG uses makes a really great piece as well. I personally would not compare the 2 because I have a place in my heart for all of the SSW pieces from LOTR which came out way before GG got the license. When I think of LOTR collectibles, I think of SSW. But with newer technologies like this, the new stuff coming out is going to be incredible which I am so looking forward to. As for the draw, I will use it to put paperclips in on my desk at work and the one at home will stay closed. I thought that idea was a little silly as well.

Thanks,
Mike

although with all of these new technologies GG is using, why not make a FULL size statue? I'm not really a fan of busts so I will not be collecting this line or any bust line from any company regardless of how accurate they get.

I am loving the Strider bust. The likeness to Viggo is simply amazing. I have the SS/Weta Strider bust and it looks like him but not as much as the GG bust. I wish GG had not started this line....sigh....

I was very impressed when I saw these at Comic-Con. They do look great but I do have to limit myself somewhere...I'm sticking with Sideshow.

what if GG make the Full size LOTR statues? would anyone collect that line? I sure would, but monsters and creatures only for me.

student_toe5 said:
what if GG make the Full size LOTR statues? would anyone collect that line? I sure would, but monsters and creatures only for me.

That would largely depend on the paint, almost everything GG I have had or seen has very plastic looking paint/material. The sculpts/scans are almost always top-notch, but whether it is the material or the paint they really lack any contrast. I have never seen a GG piece look at all lifelike, and for a statue I would really want that.

I have heard from my GG distributor, that GG does not have the rights to make LOTR statues which is also a reason that they are making the ringbearers (with the little drawer in them) instead of simple busts.

We'll see what the future brings though.

Back