1/6 New General Maximus figure by HY Toys

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I picked up their Maximus figure (the basic one) and intend on getting the Gladiator one, as well. (basic one, too)

I didn't feel that the extras in the other releases were worth the added cost.

Both look fantastic, so you can't go wrong either way. If the budget is limited and one can't afford both, it is definitely a tough choice. Maximus outfit looks amazing but the Gladiator outfit is...well... the "Gladiator"!

:wink1:

Personally, I really like the Roman General look, but I collect romans. You can still get the deluxe at retail in some places, and I had to get that one because I failed to PO the regular version, but I was not unhappy with my purchase or the extra $$ I had to put out. Ultimately, it depends on which look you like and what you can afford. Are you always going to wish you had gotten this one or do you like the gladiator look as well?

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

I've always been fascinated by the Romans (loved the Netflix Barbarians series, by the way), so my favoured look is General Maximus. It all comes down to which look is more appealing to you.

Got the Gladiator version in yesterday. Will try to get it out and a pic up soon

Looking forward to seeing you pics. I've made a custom version but have been seriously considering picking the HY version for all of the extras that mine lacks (helmet, shin guards (don't know the official name...)

So I finally got around to getting the Gladiator version up and in the display. Overall, I'm happy to have it displayed with "The General" version.

IMG_E1353.jpg

Things I like about it

The all metal armor and weapons. The figure itself is really weighty and having everything metal (minus the shield) is a nice touch.

I wasn't quite sure what I'd think of the base. After seeing it in person I like it a lot. It's pretty heavy and is in 2 pieces that slide up against each other. It gives a nice presence and is something different than the first one.

IMG_1358.jpg

Things that are just ok..

The body and likeness. I wasn't expecting the best of either so it doesn't bother me as much. I plan to have the helmet on all the time anyway. I can also add a different body or headsculpt if I decide on something different down the road.
IMG_1356.jpg

Things I do not like...

The size and sculpt of the helmet. Having it metal is awesome, but the sculpt of it isn't as correct and as such doesn't sit on his head correctly. At least it doesn't give as "menacing" of look as in the movie. It has to be bigger to fit over top the headsculpt, but imo the eyes (not by much) and "fangs" have too much space between them. I took a pic comparing it to the metal version I already had on display, which is closer to the movie version. If you look back to the proto pics, the fangs were also slanted like the movie, where the final ones aren't.

edit: Actually, now that I'm looking at it the box art has a more correct version than the final.. so that's annoying.
IMG_1357.jpg
IMG_1355.jpg

The other thing is that there is almost no head tilt up. A lot of the shots in the movie with this outfit are him in a lower position looking up, so these poses you aren't able to do unfortunately.

Like I said, I'm happy to have him as I wanted to at least get the outfit being all metal. I will still be on the lookout for a proper helmet. Or trying to find a smaller HS that fits in the other one I have. It IS a pricey figure for being 3rd party however.

For me likeness is always key in my decisions to get a piece. I don't know if I'd still buy him again given the "likeness" with the helmet is off (and off a lot for me). Hope that makes sense. :)

Thank you, Ljaat, for that very good review.

I pretty much agree with your opinions. I think that a phicen type of body and one of the "Jor-El" based head sculpts (like on your Maximus) would make a big overall improvement.

Perhaps someone will 3D print an improved helmet, at some point, and make the figure even better.

Thank you, Ljaat, for that very good review.

I pretty much agree with your opinions. I think that a phicen type of body and one of the "Jor-El" based head sculpts (like on your Maximus) would make a big overall improvement.

Perhaps someone will 3D print an improved helmet, at some point, and make the figure even better.

Yep, I've found one or two online that look pretty close.
Gladiator Helmet / Ebay
Might try one out to see if it fits with the Jor-El head as it's smaller than the one that comes with.

I will pickup a phicen and another HS at some point.

I’ve been thinking about ordering that Gladiator version. It does look like it would benefit from a Phicen body and maybe even that helmet on eBay.

The Haoyutoys Gladiator is a little odd, I can't seem to shake the feeling that not only is the helmet oversized, but the chestplate itself is kinda huge. Based on the movie the armor is meant to be somewhat form fitting. I wonder what body would actually fill it up. If anyone has recommendations, I'm totally open to it.

Can?t see a thread for the Gladiator version so I?ll post here-

The helmet and chest-plate are indeed massively oversized. One look at a shot from the film had me not wanting to use the helmet anymore but the headsculpts is also a pretty poor likeness so there doesn?t seem to be an ideal option without purchasing an alternative.

I?ve tilted his head down and with certain lighting it doesn?t look too bad. However, Maximus has long been one of my 1:6 grails and this release still leaves a fair bit to be desired.

It?s fairly well made and the diecast parts are appreciated; if only they weren?t so oversized. There are also certain inaccuracies and omissions that bother me such as; the single shoulder pauldron not having a bicep strap causing it to flap around, the chainmail shirt- though an incredible feet- isn?t movie accurate. Maximus wore chainmail in the battle of Carthage but it looked to be just a sleeve and skirt. No wrist wrap options and he wore them all the time. The lack of his nicer sword or any Carthage accessories (spear and shield.) The round shield also doesn?t have a large handle but I?m not complaining about that because it?s the only way it?s really usable with the figure.

These are all minor complaints though and I believe the figure is intended to primarily portray the final battle appearance so all the components for that are present and everything else is more of a bonus. The helmet really is the biggest disappointment. It?s just too damn big!

Also- I had an m32 lying around so tried a body swap. I think any phicen legs will always cause a problem as the boots seem to have a bit of built in ankle which end up giving Maximus long, lanky stilt legs.

All in all I am actually glad to have a Maximus and I can make most of the little amendments I want myself if I fee it?s necessary. I?d say a lot of the price went towards the luxury of diecast and the heavy diorama though when I?d prefer to substitute those for a perfect iteration of the character. Maybe someday.

3EDFD32B-ED92-47EE-A05C-B2C4216AF9FE.jpg
DD839FF8-0E67-4B69-A744-9098C3F5152D.jpg

Looks awesome . I?m collecting all
the Haoyu / HH model Roman figures . No one else is doing this genre right now so it?s a nice . Great pictures .

I bought one of these it's not bad, but diecast is stupid. Makes the figure too topheavy, won't stand properly by itself and if it drops it will bring down a display case. As soon as there's a good option to upgrade this I will.

I bought one of these it's not bad, but diecast is stupid. Makes the figure too topheavy, won't stand properly by itself and if it drops it will bring down a display case. As soon as there's a good option to upgrade this I will.

I agree. Generally there's no need for diecast, since plastic is capable of holding finer detail, and if painted well enough you can't tell the difference. Yet some customers simply associate weight with quality.

My Kaustic Plastic Roman generals, in particular, always feel like they're going to buckle under the weight of their bronze cuirasses and helmets.

Yet Fabio at KP insisted metal was the correct choice.

En masse, which is how I like to display my figures, they're too heavy for Detolf shelving, so they're consigned to another shelf.

51650632784_79c6c85325_b.jpg

On topic, I've never bought an HHModel/HaoYu figure as many of them have been fantasy/movie inspired, or duplicates of figures/types I already had. Yet they do tackle some interesting subjects to varying degrees of historical accuracy. I skipped the Roman musician, and will probably also skip their Draconarius (Roman Cavalry Dragon Bearer), but I think the Carthaginian mercenary is a must.

Need to seek out more videos like the one Ryzie86 posted, to get a handle on the company's quality level.

Back