1/6 New General Maximus figure by HY Toys

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

No! Stay away from that one. That's the second one I ordered, thinking that they were all the same and I would be saving a few bucks. Once it arrived, I found the paint application awful. I ended up going back to the first seller and re-ordering that sculpt again. (which arrived in great shape.)

The seller with the good paint apps was "mytoys_box". I just checked and didn't see him selling the Gladiator sculpt, unfortunately.

My advice is to contact the different sellers and ask for in-hand photos before ordering.

You'll want to get this:
ebay crowe 2.jpg

And not this:
s-l1600.jpg

I got charged by Timewalker Toys for this one. Looking forward to receiving it. Should be shipping out soon with another figure that is also processing.

Something has shipped from Timewalker and I'm fairly certain its this figure. (I have the Mud Trooper on pre-order as well and both say "processing".)

Really looking forward to this figure. Have wanted a General Maximus for the collection for many, many years.

General Maximus arrived today.

The art box is nice and the foam inserts holding the accessories always give me an impression of high end collectible.

Unfortunately, when I removed the top foam cover, I was greeted with a contorted figure with loose boots, wrinkled outfit and what may prove to be the most difficult part to fix, the helmet's mohawk bent to one side with the "pony tail" portion somewhat unkempt. I wish I had taken pictures of it. First impressions were not good at all. It looked like the factory had offered a bonus to the first worker that filled the figure box up. Even the foam insert used to brace the helmet was jammed in, which I think is what messed up the helmet "hair". Sorry if I'm not using the correct nomenclature...

Once I was able to remove the figure, insert the boots and work out some of the wrinkles, my opinion of the figure rose dramatically.

The head sculpt is actually better than what I've seen in pics. Definitely not as chubby looking as in the photos I've seen. If I didn't have the replacement sculpt, I would be fine with the stock head sculpt. I'm not sure if I'll have to replace the figure body for the replacement sculpt, though. Will check that part out later.

What I did find impressive was that the helmet, "shin guards" and sword blade are all metal. The sword's blade is actually pretty sharp, too!

Figure will require futzing but it's a much wanted addition to my collection. By the way, I got the least expensive version, as I didn't like the "battle damaged" version and wasn't impressed with the super-dee-duper expensive version. I actually prefer the base that came with this figure, too.

Obligatory crappy pics from me... :wink1:

Max 1 sm.jpg
Max 2 sm.jpg
Max 3 sm.jpg
Max 4 sm.jpg

I just noticed that the face indeed looks chubby even in my pics but in person, it's not as bad.

P.S. General Maximus is my 13 thousandth post in forum. Pretty cool.

Thanks! I took another look today at the figure under some better lighting and noticed the following:

1. The head sculpt indeed does give a slightly "chubby" vibe. But it's not too bad.

2. Some of the detailing on the front armor is badly painted. For example, the silver finish is missing from some of the embossed detailing.

3. I compared the paint apps to the ACI release and found that some of the armor colors do not match up. I will have to do some research into the actual film costume to see who got it right.

4. They did not include the leather straps coming out from under the shoulder armor. ACI does include that.

5. The cape is a burgundy color but if not mistaken, should be a shade of brown.

Fortunately, I still have the carded sets from ACI from my initial custom figure and can utilize those pieces, if needed, for greater accuracy.

I still recommend the figure, especially if you don't have a General Maximus in the collection. It is fine out of the box but with some additional detailing, it can really be enhanced into an amazing figure display. I'm looking forward to working on it in the coming weeks.

He looks really nice! The breastplate is plastic, is that correct? I want to get one but I have the ACI version, but I like the thicker body look on this one. I also like that the fur cape is bulkier on this version, my ACI one is a little small and sad. I did just watch the beginning of the film (granted it could be the blue wash lighting) but the fur appears to be a whitish gray fur flecked with black or brown, not a brown fur, which means neither ACI or Haoyu have gotten the screen look for it right, but i still prefer this one to the ACI fur.

Is he super heavy? I love love love metal parts but i just got the Oddessey series and they are soooo heavy, its hard to do much but a museum pose because everything is so heavy. :::cry::::

That the helmet is metal is awesome. I have a big helmet collection so now I guess I'll have to count my pennies...

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

The figure is really heavy. I believe that the breastplate is metal as well.

I'm going to use parts from both this release and ACI and try to come up with an all around great figure.

Looks like haoyu will have a gladiator shortly...

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Oh, and by the way, if anyone's interested in a Maximus headsculpt that resembles Russel Crowe during the "Are you not entertained?!"-scene, with a screaming expression, I have started an interest list for such a culpt, made by CREG Customs. 13 people are already in, 7 more to go ...
2665.jpg

Oh, and by the way, if anyone's interested in a Maximus headsculpt that resembles Russel Crowe during the "Are you not entertained?!"-scene, with a screaming expression, I have started an interest list for such a culpt, made by CREG Customs. 13 people are already in, 7 more to go ...
View attachment 492847

How do I get on board with this list? If there's a creg sculpt to replace the HAOYU version, i'm definitely down to purchase it!

Lately, I've been scouring ebay in the hopes of finding a decent custom sculpt but I can't seem to find one though... does anyone have a recommended seller that still has a good one with decent paint apps in stock?

I know the earlier customs and pangea versions were the gold standard, but lately the available headsculpts for it seem pretty hard to come by...

pic for reference!

unnamed.jpg

Is this like a back door unlicensed Gladiator film *Crowe) figure?
How come the promo doesn't mention the film character or actor, yet it all depicts that.
I guess I'm new to this.
Are there other lines that have done this?

I stil can't believe Big Chief cancelled their Gladiator figure.:mad:
This? - https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173752
Looks like they got blasted for suposedly getting the likeness off(thought it looked fine).
What's funny I guess is they were paying to use it, these guys are not?
had they just done it unlicensed, they probably would have done fine.

Is this like a back door unlicensed Gladiator film *Crowe) figure?
How come the promo doesn't mention the film character or actor, yet it all depicts that.
I guess I'm new to this.
Are there other lines that have done this?

This is an unlicensed figure and such companies prefer not to use orginal names,
as not to attract much attention and have them shut down the unlicensed project.
Regarding previously made figures, ACI made General Maximus long ago,
Pangaea & Kaustic Plastik made Gladiator Maximus a few years back.

This? - https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173752
Looks like they got blasted for suposedly getting the likeness off(thought it looked fine).
What's funny I guess is they were paying to use it, these guys are not?
had they just done it unlicensed, they probably would have done fine.

Big Chief Studios only makes licensed figures, but the likeness on their version was way off (especially for a licensed figure),
another factor it didn't attract much attention was that it was announced a few years after Panagea's and KP's efforts,
many people got them so the interest was very low for a mediocre and expensive same figure.
HY Toys is on the unlicensed side.

Been looking for a general maximus / haoyu toys for some time given I'm late to the game on this figure... prices have soared rapidly and its pretty hard to find one at a decent price.

I'm wondering if I should pass on the imperial general fig and aim for the yet to be released gladiator one instead...
Anyone else here who favours Maximus' roman general look more than his gladiator outfit?

Back