New Electric Tiki Buffy

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the thing is, even though maybe "leia" on the other page might not look that much like Carrie Fisher, it's still VERY obvious it's Leia.
If you take the stake and pool cue (hell, even WITH the pool cue...) away from this figure, nobody would ever think it was Buffy.
That's the problem in a nutshell. Sure it's cute and toon-y, but it just looks like some blond girl with blue eyes, (SMG's are hazely-brown too but that's something else...)

It's still cool but if it looke just a BIT more like SMG, would probably be more desirable.

And for the record, I think Spike looks amazing, I like my original PF Buffy alot but I think ANGEL as he stands now looks dreadful....

While no, it's no fun if someone is critical about everything, I'm not gonna say, "wow! That's great!" just because a piece that costs MAJOR $ exists.

:)

I think the thing is, even though maybe "leia" on the other page might not look that much like Carrie Fisher, it's still VERY obvious it's Leia.
If you take the stake and pool cue (hell, even WITH the pool cue...) away from this figure, nobody would ever think it was Buffy.
That's the problem in a nutshell. Sure it's cute and toon-y, but it just looks like some blond girl with blue eyes, (SMG's are hazely-brown too but that's something else...)
That may be, but to be honest I don't care what other people think, I care what I think. I will know what it is, and I like it for what it is.

That may be, but to be honest I don't care what other people think, I care what I think. I will know what it is, and I like it for what it is.

Who's saying you can't...?

The thing is, if some here aren't thrilled with a piece, they are allowed their opinions too. This is a discussion forum, not a gushing slap sideshow on the back for anything they crank out forum.
If some people here like a piece, fine. If some people don't, that's fine too.

What makes Leia obvious is that she has very clear signature features--it's all about the buns and the white dress, not to mention R2, not about Carrie Fisher, who in fact is rather an ordinary looking woman who you might not recognize on the street without the buns, and thus is apparently a difficult representational likeness to capture. That's just the way Star Wars as a licensed property is or has turned out.

The human characters on Buffy, on the other hand, for the most part don't have signature outfits. Their signature features are primarily the actors themselves and maybe secondarily props like Buffy's stake, the scythe, Giles's book or Faith's knife. Buffy is SMG, Willow is AH. Take away the RL likeness, and all you can do is stick a stake in the blonde girl's hand. The outfit? I couldn't tell you what Buffy's wearing in 99% of the individual episodes. I had no clue red turtleneck=OMWF. Doesn't she wear 5 different outfits in that one, anyway? It's why SS can get away with putting them in promo outfits as long as they nail the likeness, as the Angel PF thing shows. Everyone has a threshold where the scales tip either toward recognizing the character, or saying, huh? Who's that?

That's why I think Buffy and Angel will be hard to pull off as stylized representations rather than actor portraits. The exceptions are the vamps, who have a very easy representational shortcut, their bumpies and fangs. Another exception are signature character versions like Dark Willow or Illyria.

Even if you can get over accepting stylization over representation, you then have other issues. First is the matter of personal aesthetics. Of those who can recognize the characters, who among them like the tooned up look? Next, I think, is economics. Of those who recognize the characters and like the tooned up look, who would pay the asking price? I think what it comes down to is that this line is targeting a very specific kind of collector, and someone who likes it won't argue someone who doesn't into changing their mind, and vice versa.

Personally, the stake and the smirking expression is enough for me to recognize that it's Buffy. I'm a bit puzzled over the pool cue, as to be honest I have no clue which episode they took this look and outfit from. I'm so-so on liking the tooned up thing--I like cartoons, but I'm partial to actual cartoon properties a la Simpsons and Spongebob. But as for the price? That seals the deal for me. It's definitely not something I'd pay retail for, but might pick up if I can find it (much) cheaper elsewhere.

Here's the thing, Buffy is not SMG, Buffy is a character that has been played by another actress and in the future could be played by some one else. SMG is not Buffy. Buffy existed before SMG and will hopefully continue long after her. Sure the outfit is inspired from an episode of the television show but I think people should move past Sarah as the one and only Buffy. This piece is a concept, an idea, not an exact representation of one certain actress-just a character.

Here's the thing, Buffy is not SMG, Buffy is a character that has been played by another actress and in the future could be played by some one else. SMG is not Buffy. Buffy existed before SMG and will hopefully continue long after her. Sure the outfit is inspired from an episode of the television show but I think people should move past Sarah as the one and only Buffy. This piece is a concept, an idea, not an exact representation of one certain actress-just a character.

I hear ya and completely understand but in my mind and many others, Buffy IS SMG. Always will be...? Kristy Swanson...?!?! Gack!

Well until another actress comes along to play that role, (sorry Kristy fans) Buffy IS SMG. I bet If you asked a bucket load of fans who they visualize when they think of Buffy 99% will say her, I'm sure of it.

All acting roles are created not only by the writing and direction, but from input from the actors themselves, so to say 'She's not Buffy' is stretching it rather I believe.

Alison, Nick Brendon, ASH, all those actors helped to define their characters as the years went on, and if you talk to some of the on staff writers of the show, you'll hear the same thing.

Actors have a huge influence on how a character is perceived , so please don't underestimate their contribution. It helped shape it into the series you ended up with.

But hey, thats just me. :D

Last edited:
Who's saying you can't...?

The thing is, if some here aren't thrilled with a piece, they are allowed their opinions too. This is a discussion forum, not a gushing slap sideshow on the back for anything they crank out forum.
If some people here like a piece, fine. If some people don't, that's fine too.

I think I need to clarify. I wasn't talking about other people here in the forum. I definitely value other peoples' opinions here. I was talking about people who come to my home and drool over my collection. I don't select the pieces I buy based on whether or not people who see it later will say "Oh, that's Buffy!" As long as I know it's Buffy, and the overall presentation is impressive enough to me in some way, that's what matters most to me. Because, in the long run, I spend a lot more time drooling over my collection than other people do. ;)

That reminds me I have to go upstairs and drool a little over my collection. I haven't done it yet today! :D:D

Well until another actress comes along to play that role, (sorry Kristy fans) Buffy IS SMG. I bet If you asked a bucket load of fans who they visualize when they think of Buffy 99% will say her, I'm sure of it.

All acting roles are created not only by the writing and direction, but from input from the actors themselves, so to say 'She's not Buffy' is stretching it rather I believe.

Alison, Nick Brendon, ASH, all those actors helped to define their characters as the years went on, and if you talk to some of the on staff writers of the show, you'll hear the same thing.

Actors have a huge influence on how a character is perceived , so please don't underestimate their contribution. It helped shape it into the series you ended up with.

But hey, thats just me. :D

Me too. In fact, if you see SMG anywhere else, people always go, "oh, that's Buffy" They never say, "Oh, that's Daffney"

;)

true.

I'd bring my wienerdog over to her and tell her that we named her "Buffy" in her honor.

(Not too sure if she would be thrilled by that though...)

(and she really can smile. It amazes us too!)

Good news: Buffy entered the top ten at #10.

I'm probably pre-ordering before it sells out. If I change my mind before shipping, would they make me pay cancellation fees on this item?

Back