New Doctor Who Figures? (5 inch scale)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: New Doctor Who Figures?

I hate to say it but (though CO's QC is great) they are the British equivalent of Hasbro. Unless a higher end company gets a license under CO's license, adult collectors will never be inconsideration. It sucks that they have a classic Tardis that will never see the light of day.

Yeah it's frustrating because the quality of what they have made so far is fantastic. One good sign for the future of the Classics is that wave 1 appears to be selling well,there's hardly any of the figures left in the stores in my area so if this is the case in the rest of the country and international sales are strong then it should mean we get at least a couple more waves.

One thing I will say for CO is that the part compatiblity is fantastic. If you know what you're doing you can make some GREAT customs and retain most, if not all, the original articulation. I've already got plans for a Donna (hopefully a close resemblance to DoctorDonna or PIC Donna and then an "expanded universe" Rose. Will probably need to rework some of the internals and repaint my butt off but I can't wait to do the work.

One thing I will say for CO is that the part compatiblity is fantastic. If you know what you're doing you can make some GREAT customs and retain most, if not all, the original articulation. I've already got plans for a Donna (hopefully a close resemblance to DoctorDonna or PIC Donna and then an "expanded universe" Rose. Will probably need to rework some of the internals and repaint my butt off but I can't wait to do the work.

That's true. I've seen a couple of great 4th Doctor customs in different attire and someone even made Jenny (Booo!!!!) using one of the Primeval figures as CO also make those.

Intresting that Jabe will be released in the next 1-2-3 wave. Aside from the obvious ones when did a Time Lord appear?

In The Sound of Drums I think. They also announced that they will start doing Build-a-figures in the New line.

Marc's correct. I actually think it's going to be the Time Lord they showed standing in front of the Citadel when Ten describes Gallifrey to Jack and Martha. Rumor was we were also to get a UNIT soldier but it was dropped. I still need to grab two more of the new Nines, and repaint them so I have all the jumper colors. Could probably grab a few Tens and do his different shirt colors (which THOSE should be exclusives, just repaints. NOT brand new figures in box sets. I hate buying 3 figures I have already just for one. Again though, they claim this is because it's a kids line.) Also I've pretty much abandoned my idea of removable celery on Five, I'm just going to super glue it and say to hell with it. :lol

In The Sound of Drums I think. They also announced that they will start doing Build-a-figures in the New line.

No wonder I didn't remember as that's one of those episodes I've pretty much tried to forget.
Build a Figures for the Nu-Who line is a good move and with any luck should give us a Dalek Emperor and a Beast though that might have to be scaled down a bit!. Another possibility would be the giant brain from Planet of the Ood.
Memnoch21,
If you want a couple more Doctors for customs let me know as I have a spare neutral
9th and a 10th in his coat.

Last edited:

The buss is that the BAF is the Lazarus Monster.

Really? That's depressing, but it would make sense as most of the figures coming out appear to be heavily tilted toward S3 anyway. I mean the sculpt of the Old/Ancient Docs, Time Lord, possibly Bride Donna and the non Coated Jack sculpt need to go somewhere.

Lazarus Monster BAF? NEXT!
The Time Lord could stand in for a Classic one though so I might get that.

Soo I've heard stories of the Series 4 figures hitting the TRU's that stocked them and figured, why not check? So I did... and they only had left 3 Doctors with Adipose (2 after I left). EVERYTHING else from the wave was gone, even the Pyrovile Priestess. Apparently even the folks at TRU were surprised they came and went so quickly. The guy I spoke to said that they had two cases and he was surprised they even got that as they WERE supposed to not carry Who figures anymore. Interesting thing he told me though was that as long as they sell, they're going to keep ordering them so go out and if your TRU has them ... BUY BUY BUY!

Stopping by TRU today. They didn't have them last time I checked (when reports of TRU getting Who first broke a couple months ago), but I'll stop by and ask, er, demand! that they get some Who toys!

The buss is that the BAF is the Lazarus Monster.

I wouldn't mind the Lazarus monster. I did wonder what happened to it because when series three was on the air, the deluxe figures, like Face Of Boe and the Reaper were coming out in the UK and I figured the Lazarus monster would be amongst those, though it never made an appearance. Guess that anwers that question. That said it depends what figures in the line I'd be forced to by to complete the monster. I'm not going to get a load of pointless rehashes I don't really want just to build it. But it's still an interesting development.

As for Jabe, all I can say is, why has it taken so long to make her? Given how much time she was on screen in The End Of The World I'd have thought she'd have put in an appearance well before now. Still as long as she's being made.

I really don't understand CO's attitude towards collectors though, I thought the Doctor Who line was aimed partially at collectors with it being so detailed and having so many unexpected figures like Doctor Constantine, The Editor etc. They are getting a bit like Hasbro did with the Star Wars line, all those pointless rehashes mean I'm starting to get very selective about which figures I pick up from now on.

Well gang don't look for any news about the figures to be coming out via DWF anymore. Looks like the gang from DWW, specifically Ed won't be going on there anymore.

Well gang don't look for any news about the figures to be coming out via DWF anymore. Looks like the gang from DWW, specifically Ed won't be going on there anymore.

Let me guess,somebody criticised Character Options policy on rereleases and who the Classic line should primarily be marketed to a bit too strongly which caused somebody at CO to throw a hissy fit and instruct the Designworks people to sever any connections with online communities?

Let me guess,somebody criticised Character Options policy on rereleases and/or who the Classic line should primarily be marketed to a bit too strongly which caused somebody at CO to throw a hissy fit and instruct the Designworks people to sever any connections with online communities?

To be honest, Missi has been a bit on the pissy side lately. he said something (which I felt was a bit snide) and offended a long time well respected poster. It would be like Trevor insulting Les basically. But I am not sure that is why he "left". its too bad. He definitely added a lot, but really the same info will make its way there anyhoo.

I really think the whole line has not been managed well and they should have looked at the way Hasbro does a split line. Make figures that kids are going to want but also make a few as bones to collectors. Don't just say "collectors dont factor into it at all" like has been said. Do not let personal feelings get in the way of the product and DO NOT hide behind "well it was approved". Do I like the toys, absolutely! Do I wish the line was handled better, you better believe it. Also, they should have worked something out as soon as they got the idea for a toy line to get likeness rights from EVERYONE *glares at BP*. I frankly would have done that before even showing any protos to anyone. The second they decided to make action figures, they should have scrapped what they were doing, gone for likeness rights thought the BBC and started over so maybe the first Rose figure wouldn't have been so hideous thus affirming in BPs mind that they should not be made.

To be honest, Missi has been a bit on the pissy side lately. he said something (which I felt was a bit snide) and offended a long time well respected poster. It would be like Trevor insulting Les basically. But I am not sure that is why he "left". its too bad. He definitely added a lot, but really the same info will make its way there anyhoo.

Yeah nothing stays secret for long in this day & age.
Some possible good news for the future of the Classics line is that a second production run has had to be ordered from the factory.
When they ship the 6th Doctor will now be 2 to a case in a bid to beat the scalpers so anyone that's struggled getting one will shortly be able to without being ripped off.

With the onscreen gap year coming up I think it'd be a perfect time for Character Options to at least test the waters with a collector oriented line by releasing a wave of characters that aren't as likely to appeal to kids.
If they did a wave of 8 they could split them between Classic & Nu-Who,eg

Classic
1.The Brigadier
2.Sarah Jane Smith
3.Leela
4.Dalek ( single release of the "Genesis" one )

Nu-Who
1.Pete & Jackie Tyler
2.Dr Henry Van Statten
3.John Lumic
4.Colonel Mace ( reuse most of the Brigadier's mold )

I can't say for sure but I think the Classic figures would easily sell to adults and the Nu-Who ones couldn't do any worse than some of the others they made that ended up warming pegs for months especially if they made them in somewhat reduced production runs.

Toss out Leela and put in Romana II from Destiny and you got yourself a whole list of figures I would buy.

The first pics of the 12 inch Davros are popping up and he looks great! :drool:

Per CO, it was a bald face lie when he said in that interview that they don't have collectors in mind. If that were true, why is there a SDCC Time Crash figure set here in my office? A lot of the those CO folk really do come off as being arrogant, but oh well. They have me by the balls so what can I do? :lol

Back