Netflix Animated Castlevania

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am trying to watch the first episode right now. Its a rough start so far. Not sure if I am going to be able to finish it.

Seems that way doesn't it? But not netflix gets to know the joy of working with Warren Ellis. The Warren Ellis who gets bored quickly and stops working on a project. The Warren Ellis who can't hit a deadline. Should be interesting to see how this working relationship goes. Lol

Sent from my SGH-M919V using Tapatalk

Ellis is another Frank Miller. Can't seem to get anything done...

It did get finished, though! And it was amazing.

*pseudo-spoilers below*

I finished watching this one, and I enjoyed it. But it is odd to only have 4 episodes, end on a pure cliffhanger with no real resolution at all, and have to wait a year or whatever to get more. Given that they had 2 hours, it would have been better to do a standalone Castlevania feature, with an end that could lead into a sequel rather than what truly feels like a simple half-season of a TV show. I can understand the delay, more than Ellis, probably being due to the time it takes to put together an animated show. But it seems strange to do it this way.

I liked this a lot.
First episode was awesome. Loved the big fire dracula. First episode was my favorite.
Really loved the dark style and the violence. Pretty good set up.

Second episode was a little slower. The bar scene could have been deleted. Not that great of an introduction. Was kinda stupid.
Third and fourth episodes were really great. The cyclops was pretty cool.
The ending of fourth episode was great. Best scene of the show was the last showdown. I really liked alucard.

The only negatives are the lenght and the cringe dialogue from time to time. Some of the dialogue was pretty bad.
Some of the voice acting was bad too. Some cringey parts when it came to what the characters said.

Also i hated the weird straw beard they gave belmont. They should have just given him a clean face. Those line beards looked ridiculous.

The demons looked awesome and i love how belmont instructs people to kill them. Best part of the show as well.

Damn once the show starts to pick up and get very good then boom! Freaking 4 episodes? Really?

I thought the bar scene introduction was great. Though like Iron Man 3, I bet it would upset a lot of people who go in expecting something that they totally don't get, with a bad-ass super hero right out the gate. We find out through exposition that he used to be a major bad-ass and is part of a well known, and well-loathed family by some. We also see in nice way that he has lost his direction, has hit a low point, and can barely even stand up to a few random guys in a bar. You get hints of what he actually is, but also see how flawed he is. Reminiscent in some ways of how we are introduced to Wolverine in the X-Men movie.

I also like the fact that we meet Dracula well after he has done a lot of damage in the world. But he has also mellowed out, has no real interest in humanity, and is tired of a long-lasting conflict that the Belmonts were also involved in (I think the voice casting was well done in this regard). But he is done a terrible wrong, and then lashes out in a way that you can understand. The structure of the story is really well done so far IMO, though I don't like the way the story gets interrupted mid-stream after episode 4.

Thats true about the bar scene, there was a lot of important info. And we do get to see the hero at his lowest.

But it just felt too clumsy for me and the dialogue itself was terrible. Belmont came across as a ****** the entire 3 episodes and very unlikable. Thats all because of the voice acting. The voice acting is really truly awful.

I know hes meant to be serious and careless but it comes off as super douchy.

I think he's supposed to be a bit of a ******, and I like that about him :lol One way you see this is how dismissive he is toward anyone with a religious orientation, and how he is totally unresponsive after he riles up the crowd into murdering the church enforcer. He has good reason to be cynical toward the church, but he is also extremely judgmental toward the sheepish masses. Not a terribly heroic way to behave, but something I can identify with. Then, when he runs into Alucard, he totally forgets about what he was doing above ground, and doesn't even want to find out what Alucard is all about, as he goes right into vampire hunter mode. Another personality flaw, but something that humanizes him. But ultimately, he is motivated by the drive to do the right thing, and is a hero. Again, I see some similarities to Wolverine (this time more as he is in the comic).

I don't mind the douchey, bitter Trevor. He SHOULD be this way when you and your family are HATED by all.

Keep in mind, the Belmonts in this period of time aren't reviled as the famed, monster-hunters they are. They're hated, ostracized, and considered deplorable outcasts. A once noble house regarded with disdain and skepticism because they're not understood/misinterpreted, so no wonder Trevor is a bit of a loner, alcoholic, and spiteful towards everyone...everyone has heard about rumors about his clan and believes him! They see him as not much better than Dracula's creatures. Even the Church fears the Belmonts (as the Bishop hints at them being excommunicated) and has likely helped propagate their negative image.

But you see that despite it all, he is the reluctant hero, and the Belmont clan has continued their tradition for being deadly vampire/monster killers who at the end of the road, are moral and care about justice after all. Trevor even comments that he helps the Speakers (Sypha's clan) because he feels empathy towards them for being shunned by the masses who are under sway of the church. And he comes around to helping rally the villagers against Dracula's creatures and the Church that was misleading them.

In Castlevania lore, the Belmont family ONLY becomes respected and infamous again because Trevor (and his allies) defeat Dracula. By the time Simon Belmont takes up the Vampire Killer, the Belmont clan is famous again. I hope the series continues so we see Simon as well! Different seasons based off the different games would be awesome!

Back