Nerdy adult plays with children's toys

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

InebriatedGnome

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hello all! I'm a college student currently doing my undergraduate degree in the USA, and I go by InebriatedGnome on a few toy forums (CAD, Kidrobot, The Fwoosh and here, so far). My very first post on these forums was actually a pretty critical impression/semi-rant about Comicave's first 1/12-scale Iron Man figure, which I wrote before I realised there was a forum for introductions.

I've been buying odd toys for years, but the Squadt platform is what really kicked off my collecting earlier this year. Currently, I collect Squadts and Young Gohsts (both designed by an artist named Clay Ferguson, or FERG), and I'm also interested in ThreeA's JC figures. My most recent toy fixation is Kaiyodo's Star Wars line--I know a lot of people prefer Figuarts, but the Revoltech articulation swung it for me.

The first thing collecting 'art' toys taught me was that toys are expensive. With tuition sucking up my cash and schoolwork eating my time, I don't think I'll have a serious collection for some years, but to be entirely honest I don't want one right now. I prefer to have a few pieces I love to look at and play with--for example, I'm much happier with one Threezero Atlas figure than I would be with a full assortment of rare Dunnys.

However, I'm also starting to realise that a collection needs direction to stop it becoming a mess, and so I'm looking for a theme to guide my purchases in future. If you're reading this, I'd like to ask you: what do you have the most fun collecting, and why? Message me or reply here; let's start a conversation.

My hobbies outside of this secret Eden of plastic and die-cast include playing the drums, reading novels and overrated style-over-substance thinkpieces, and playing video games. I'm happy to join this community and look forward to learning from you all (and furtively scanning your BST posts while I'm at work).

Hello all! I'm a college student currently doing my undergraduate degree in the USA...

Hello. Welcome to the Freakshow.

...I'm also starting to realise that a collection needs direction to stop it becoming a mess, and so I'm looking for a theme to guide my purchases in future.

I disagree re: direction. Don't over think it. Some of my favorite pieces were spontaneous buys that are stand-alones.

If something kicks ass get it. If you were looking forward to something but the pictures shows it sucks (such as Hot Toys Chewbacca) - don't talk yourself into buying something you "just sorta" like.

I also don't go for the who completist thing. I don't do whole series. I cherry pick.

There is a section called "Show your shelves" where there are guys that show how to organize a collection right.

Hello. Welcome to the Freakshow.

I disagree re: direction. Don't over think it. Some of my favorite pieces were spontaneous buys that are stand-alones.

If something kicks ass get it. If you were looking forward to something but the pictures shows it sucks (such as Hot Toys Chewbacca) - don't talk yourself into buying something you "just sorta" like.

I also don't go for the who completist thing. I don't do whole series. I cherry pick.

There is a section called "Show your shelves" where there are guys that show how to organize a collection right.

:goodpost: :exactly: I second this, great advice. The trick to this hobby IMO is to only buy what really excites you and you connect with in some way. This of course becomes a problem if you like most everything that is released, but I've found it gets easier to pass on things as time goes by and you realize you're completely broke because of pieces on your shelf that you don't really care about, beyond the initial excitement of unboxing. My current preference is to collect 1/6 scale figures, but my collection is ever evolving. Anyways...

Welcome to the forum! :wave

Back