Nerds Needed - My PC Will Not Start and I'm Stupid

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like you either weren't running a firewall or your firewall was compromised. Because of the pop up ads, this sounds more like a spammer attack exploiting the XP messaging service than a virus, to me.

Wipe and re-install. If you have access to another computer it is probably safe to plug it in as a second drive to get your vital documents off of. BUT DON'T BOOT FROM IT

After you re-install, make sure your security is up to snuff. Something like ZoneAlarm or the Norton/McAfee suites will get you where you need to be.

Also, without trying to sound too snooty, now might be a good time to look into getting a mac. :peace

I know nothing about pc too so I m laughing with you not at you. the fact that you actually called on a Geek squad to help you cracked me up. so dont take it to heart. :D

Oh, I got it. ;) :duff That's the beauty of the Board - there's always a Freak or two in the know. :family

Your data files should be intact in your hard-drive (virus).

Here are some of my recommendation:

I'm going to assume that you have IDE HD set up from DELL. If you have another PC with IDE controller, then unplug the virus hard-drive from your old PC and then change the jumper in order to make it as a slave drive. (see the hard-drive for the jumper setting). During boot-up, go into the BIOS and make sure it recognizes your new slave drive. Once in Windows, then grab your files. Afterward, re-install the Windows OS. Since you have a DELL, they do provide a disk called "Operating System Already Installed On Your Computer" - Reinstallation CD.

IMPORTANT: try to backup the file WPA.DBL in the Windows/system32 directory before you perform any re-installation. If you have this file, then it won't make you contact Microsoft to activate your Windows after the installation.

If you do not have an extra PC, then buy a cheap hard-drive for $30 and install a brand new Windows on it. And then follow the steps above. If you are in need for more disc space, then this is a perfect time to upgrade your hard-drive.

In the future, always make a copy of your important data onto another hard-drive.

Also, if you don't have access to Windows software, then you can always download the latest Windows 7 temporarily for you to get the data out... It's free until March 2010.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/dd353205.aspx?ITPID=mscomsc

Good luck...

Back