Neill Blomkamp's Elysium

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First Look at Sharlto Copley as the Villain Kruger.

Elysium-Sharlto-Copley.jpg

Official synopsis:

In the year 2159 two classes of people exist: the very wealthy who live on a pristine man-made space station called Elysium, and the rest, who live on an overpopulated, ruined Earth. Secretary Rhodes (Jodie Foster), a hard line government official will stop at nothing to enforce anti-immigration laws and preserve the luxurious lifestyle of the citizens of Elysium. That doesn’t stop the people of Earth from trying to get in, by any means they can. When unlucky Max (Matt Damon) is backed into a corner, he agrees to take on a daunting mission that if successful will not only save his life, but could bring equality to these polarized worlds.

I love how they've managed to turn the geeky looking office drone from District 9 into a badass...bounty hunter? Thats what he seems to be from what i've heard about his role, but whatever he is, he looks badass.

Aesthetic also seems similar to District 9, which isn't at all a bad thing.

Heavy Future: Elysium Comic-Con Video Interview with Matt Damon and Jodie Foster

Since the year 2013 began, whenever I am online catching up on movie updates, I keep hoping to see some news about the Elysium trailer or more so for the actual trailer to be online. The movie releases on August 9 and I'll be waiting another week until its India release on August 16. (Damn you Sony Pictures India).

So now in anticipation of the trailer I began going through the various comic-con videos which I had watched and saved from movie sites back in July 2012, but I forgot to share them online before.

If you enjoyed District 9 and if you're remotely excited about Elysium, you should consider watching these interview videos which are embedded in the above page.

Matt Damon gets into more details as to how the movie took off and how he got the role, Neill Blomkamp's creative approach, importance of comic-con, among other things. Jodie Foster talks about comic-con, her movie Contact, her role in Elysium, themes explored in the film, the studio's involvement with Neill, her approach in acting, her directing projects.

There is a moment in the video where Matt Damon mentions, "there was a whole separate book on weaponry". And I couldn't stop smiling while thinking about the awesome weapons and props this movie is going to showcase.

You can now [ame="https://www.amazon.com/Elysium-Art-Film-Titan-Books/dp/1781162476/"]pre-order the book Elysium: The Art of the Film[/ame], which will also include inputs from designer Syd Mead.

Also check out that great TED talk given by Neill Blomkamp on aliens and possible future Earth civilizations.

Last edited:
ELYSIUM Images Featuring Jodie Foster | Collider

3 set photos of Jodie Foster as Secretary Rhodes in Elysium. Source: Simply__Jodie

I wish they had released her official photo early on; before these set photos got leaked. Maybe that's what this photo shoot was about, for the official release.

My eyes keep going back to the weapons and the movie set in the background. Hoping a trailer arrives soon, this wait is torture.

Elysium_Jodie_Foster_01.jpg

Elysium_Jodie_Foster_02.jpg

Elysium_Jodie_Foster_03.jpg

Last edited:
Foster's character is actually named Minister Delacourt now.

Also, anyone know why the license for 'Elysium' hasn't been picked up yet? I can already say for certain, regardless of how the film itself turns out, that the art direction of this movie is going to be utterly spectacular. I already want a 1/1 scale replica of the CHEMRAIL to go along with the D9 weapons.

I'm also sure that both Max and Kruger battling would make for a great diorama from Sideshow.

I'm wondering if maybe WETA gets the licensing similar to the D9 collectibles.

Anyway, to get back to the movie itself... I've been able to speak to a couple of people on REDDIT who attended the early screenings last June. They really, really liked it. And even with the unfinished effects and temp score, they said the film looks so visually audacious compared to how most summer blockbuster films tend to look nowadays.

Quint chats with fantastic character actor William Fichtner about WRONG, ELYSIUM and THE LONE RANGER - Ain't It Cool News

"Quint (Eric Vespe): Whatever you’re doing, keep doin’ it because it’s working out so far. I actually can’t wait to see Elysium. I’m a big fan of Neill Blomkamp’s stuff so far and I’m dying to see what you guys do with the movie.

William Fichtner: Let me tell you something. I had to do a little ADR (additional dialogue recording) on Elysium… I can’t really tell you what it is, but I had an out loud vocal reaction of how freakin’ cool it was.

You know how there are no new things? There’s no new war movie, there’s war movies. Over time stuff like The Deer Hunter and Platoon ups it. All of a sudden somebody presents it to you in a way you’ve never seen before. It’s a new bar, a new mark of definitively telling you what something is. In the clips I saw from Elysium I felt like it did that. It really felt like I never saw that movie. It redefined something."

ELYSIUM Images Featuring Jodie Foster | Collider

3 set photos of Jodie Foster as Secretary Rhodes in Elysium. Source: Simply__Jodie

I wish they had released her official photo early on; before these set photos got leaked. Maybe that's what this photo shoot was about, for the official release.

My eyes keep going back to the weapons and the movie set in the background. Hoping a trailer arrives soon, this wait is torture.

Elysium_Jodie_Foster_01.jpg

Elysium_Jodie_Foster_02.jpg

Elysium_Jodie_Foster_03.jpg

These pictures really creepy me out. I hate how she stairs into your soul. :monkey4

Sharlto Copley posted this recently on his Twitter and FB pages.

"will be at Arclight cinema in Hollywood Monday 8 th April with Neill for the launch of Elysium trailer"

I am hoping that Elysium trailer makes its way online soon.

Back