NECA's 18" ALIEN

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The NECA Alien and Aliens figures are at the top of accuracy and fun in alien-related collectibles. Simply awesome figures. I was hoping for an 18" Aliens figure, but it never happened...
Now I'm waiting for the all-important announcement of the A3, A:R and AvP aliens! And the Queen of course!
We need Tankman's talent and love of accuracy in the rest of the alien franchise.

My god. I have been trying to loosen up the KNEE joints for over 30 minutes, nothing. Used the blowdryer on the hottest whatever, ran hot water on it for around 5 minutes, actually took the joint + knee out of the leg and tried bending it with pliers, then my teeth.. Nothing works.
This is such an awesome figure but the knee joints are really pissing me off.

My god. I have been trying to loosen up the KNEE joints for over 30 minutes, nothing. Used the blowdryer on the hottest whatever, ran hot water on it for around 5 minutes, actually took the joint + knee out of the leg and tried bending it with pliers, then my teeth.. Nothing works.
This is such an awesome figure but the knee joints are really pissing me off.

how easy was it to get the legs on?

how easy was it to get the legs on?
I haven't put the legs on yet. I was going to make all the joints bendable before putting everything on.
At this point I don't think it's possible to bend the knees.. I've almost cut my hands open/broken some teeth trying to get this _____ in.

it's easy if you hit the peg holes with a hairdryer for a minute. the legs will pop right in. the knees and ankles were stiff on mine but they work fine if you heat them enough.

:lecture

What he said.
Heat up the holes, not the pegs and when it's all put together heat up the articulation to see loosen it up a bit.
Mine was extremely hard :lol (sorry, had to laugh as I was typing it) but with heat and some force the joints started to move. You have to be careful how you apply the force though, you don't want it to snap in your hands.

it's easy if you hit the peg holes with a hairdryer for a minute. the legs will pop right in. the knees and ankles were stiff on mine but they work fine if you heat them enough.
I got the legs on last night. Heated them up for about a minute or two, first one went in easily but the second took me about 10 minutes.

I gave up with the knees after spending 2 hours ATLEAST using different methods to loosen them up. I heated them up with the blowdryer for several minutes, used oil, ran hot water on them for a while, let them sit in hot water for about 30 minutes, used my knife to cut whatever is holding them still.
After all of that, finally they actually DIDN'T BUDGE. It's like they're the same part, not two different parts.
Although I have several sore teeth, torn muscle/tendons, small bruises and scrapes on my hands, and the knee joints still won't work... I still love this thing to death and think it was all worth it.

yeah it's safe but usually not necessary. in most cases you just need a hair dryer.

Just picked him up at CSC, not going to untie and assemble him (damn twisties) because I have no space to display at the moment...couldn't pass on it though for the good price. Too bad now he is in my storage =(

Seems like a really foggy dome, kind of hoped it would be more see-through. Also, mouth does not fully close, at least it did not snap together when I tried, did not want to force it.

Apologies for crappy iphone pictures:

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

Another thing. I really wish this guy came with some kind of Nostromo/Derelict stand with maybe some eggs or hive wall stuff.
I was watching TV then heard the sound of somthing crashing to the floor.. I was almost positive it was the Alien, took off running in here and it turns out it was my NECA closed mouth/mandible pred. Nothing was broken. I went over and tapped the Alien to make sure he was safe.. After one tiny tap he comes crashing down in my hands.
I don't see why they didn't give the 18 inch Alien a stand anyway.. I mean, look at the size/weight of his head, tubes, and the upper torso. Sure he has his tail, but it's just not enough.

Just picked him up at CSC, not going to untie and assemble him (damn twisties) because I have no space to display at the moment...couldn't pass on it though for the good price. Too bad now he is in my storage =(

Seems like a really foggy dome, kind of hoped it would be more see-through. Also, mouth does not fully close, at least it did not snap together when I tried, did not want to force it.
I don't understand why people like the clear versions so much better. IMO foggy looks a lot better, and thats the way he looked in the movie.
The clear dome is so..blah to me.

I don't understand why people like the clear versions so much better. IMO foggy looks a lot better, and thats the way he looked in the movie.
The clear dome is so..blah to me.

:lecture:lecture:lecture

Exactemundo. You could barely make out any detail under the dome in the film. I don't want to see the human skull.

As for figures falling over - I take no chances, if in any doubt I lean them against the wall. Sure it looks a bit...not ideal....but better that than them falling & breaking or having paint scratched off.

yah I agree, complete clear would be wrong. I just think the foggy dome seems a little off, maybe its the paint app on mine...not to sure. But one thing for sure is that its a beast of a figure for 30 or so USD!

:lecture:lecture:lecture

Exactemundo. You could barely make out any detail under the dome in the film. I don't want to see the human skull.

As for figures falling over - I take no chances, if in any doubt I lean them against the wall. Sure it looks a bit...not ideal....but better that than them falling & breaking or having paint scratched off.
I don't mind seeing the human skull, just as long as it's not as clear as day, you know what I mean? The milky foggy cloud just fits the Alien. It was meant to be that way.

I've always thought that the milky cloudyness was supposed to represent... Well, you know.. It makes sense, since Giger's art is all sexual and stuff. And if you look at the shape of the Alien's head....

I don't think a stand would be cost effective on such a large and top-heavy figure.
Imagine how big and heavy the base would have to be to prevent this figure from toppling over if it was so inclined...

I don't think a stand would be cost effective on such a large and top-heavy figure.
Imagine how big and heavy the base would have to be to prevent this figure from toppling over if it was so inclined...
that's fine. just sell the stands separately like McFarlane did.

It doesn't have to be that heavy. Somthing similar to the HT stands would work i'd think.

Back