NECA ROCKY & Apollo Figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been contemplating the idea of kitbashing the JAKKS head on a NECA body with a repaint, but then, all the NECA figures have the high socks and boots where in Rocky 6 he had a more modern look, might not look right, but I just love the JAKKS sculpt.

It surprises me that of all the JAKKS Rocky portraits, the only one that isn't neatural is the one that looks most like him, usually when companies, even Hot Toys, try to give an expressive look to a sculpt, the likeness is lost or the expression poorly captured.

I've been contemplating the idea of kitbashing the JAKKS head on a NECA body with a repaint, but then, all the NECA figures have the high socks and boots where in Rocky 6 he had a more modern look, might not look right, but I just love the JAKKS sculpt.

It surprises me that of all the JAKKS Rocky portraits, the only one that isn't neatural is the one that looks most like him, usually when companies, even Hot Toys, try to give an expressive look to a sculpt, the likeness is lost or the expression poorly captured.

You actually just gave me the same idea, but yeah the socks would be an issue. Jakks did a great job with the majority of there Rocky figures as far as im concerned(despite re-using the same body). I really like the likeness on their Rocky III training Rocky aswell. Heres the best pic of it I could find. (the one with the black tank)

4954548885_a41b469dea_b.jpg

That training sculpt does look good, too bad the fighting Rocky 3 is more along the lines of NECA Rocky 1.

At one point, I had JAKKS Rocky 1, 2, 3 and 6. I got rid of the 1 and 2 as they looked silly to me, but the flag trunks are my classic Rocky look and I love the 6 portrait and movie. I may unload the 3 if I can finally get my hands on the NECA Rocky 4.

That training sculpt does look good, too bad the fighting Rocky 3 is more along the lines of NECA Rocky 1.

At one point, I had JAKKS Rocky 1, 2, 3 and 6. I got rid of the 1 and 2 as they looked silly to me, but the flag trunks are my classic Rocky look and I love the 6 portrait and movie. I may unload the 3 if I can finally get my hands on the NECA Rocky 4.

What happened with ToysRus?

I may get the Jakks Rocky III training figure, and buy an additional Rocky IV neca, and swap headsculpts.

What happened with ToysRus?

Same thing again, I returned it and ordered a Terminator figure, ordered Rocky off Amazon, he should be delivered in a couple days, I think third time will be the last :)

If I get rid of JAKKS Rocky 3, I'll keep the robe.

Care to elaborate? You own them both right? NECA and jakks rocky figures? Do the Jakkss figure look oversized, particularly the headsculpt?

I have all the Jakks figures and the heads are bigger but not by much at all actually.I just compared my loose Jakks BD Rocky 2 to Neca Rocky 1 and the difference is not much.I haven't opened any of my Neca's so comparison pics would be pointless.
I know the Neca Rocky IV headsculpt is a bit thinner than Neca Rocky 1,which i just compared it with.

Maybe someone here that have opened the Neca figures and Have jakks might help you out with pics.Best i can do is take a comparison pic of my Boxed figures if you want.

It looks like my Rocky may be delivered today, if so and it's finally the right one, I'll have loos pics of NECA and JAKKS together, you silly mint in box people :lol

I have all the Jakks figures and the heads are bigger but not by much at all actually.I just compared my loose Jakks BD Rocky 2 to Neca Rocky 1 and the difference is not much.I haven't opened any of my Neca's so comparison pics would be pointless.
I know the Neca Rocky IV headsculpt is a bit thinner than Neca Rocky 1,which i just compared it with.

Maybe someone here that have opened the Neca figures and Have jakks might help you out with pics.Best i can do is take a comparison pic of my Boxed figures if you want.

That would be helpful. Just so I can get a general idea of the figures sizes.

It looks like my Rocky may be delivered today, if so and it's finally the right one, I'll have loos pics of NECA and JAKKS together, you silly mint in box people :lol

Hopefully you do. You have waited long enough.:lol

Hopefully you do. You have waited long enough.:lol

Well the package is waiting at home, so just gotta see what's inside :lol. I have a good feeling though, it's Sly day, I happened upon the Diamond Select Expendables 2 Barney today so it's only fitting to get 2 Sly's in one day :)

FINALLY, I've got Rocky :rock

First, to get it out of the way, yes, the JAKKS heads are too large to look right on the NECA body, so a bash would look silly, sadly.

Second, it need not be said, but man what an upgrade this is over the JAKKS figures, JAKKS server their purpose, but these are the figures fans deserve.

First shots to compare to other figures and such.

8381189237_10b659dd61_o.jpg

8381189157_3cd26a939a_o.jpg

8382271512_a386980f36_o.jpg

8382271542_ace077609c_o.jpg

8382271516_52d23330f7_o.jpg

And now I have to share my thoughts after all the wait and fight to get my hands on this.

So first, let me just say, that for having to order this figure 3 times, dealing with the disappointment of getting the wrong one twice, I had reason enough to get this finally and feel like it wasn't worth all of that. However, it was worth it for me, everything I could have hoped for, this delivered on and I'm so glad to finally have him.

THE GOOD

NECA's flesh tone style is amazing. While their product photos have an almost too plastic/translucent looking quality, the actual product is very lifelike and well done, I'm more exicted for Rambo now. The sculpt of the body is great, very detailed and realistic. Most of the articulation is handled very well, I'm amazed by the range the head has and I really like the joints in the feet making more options possible. The portrait is definitely Sly, no doubt about it.

THE BAD

I'm not really a fan of the way the shorts/hip joint is handled. The limited articulation here just feels a little annoying when there's so much articulation elsewhere. I think a joint similar to JAKKS would have been subtle enough. Despite the portrait being clearly Stallone, there are some aspects to it that I think NECA needs to work on for future figures to really elevate their Sly figures to the level of their Arnolds, mainly the eyes, but also the expression. Looking at photos of other Rocky figures and having this one, and seeing pics of Rambo, there seems to be a trend of NECA giving his eyes a sleepy, almost drunk look, they look like Stallone, it doesn't ruin the likeness, but with Rambo and Rocky, there should be an intensity to his eyes and the way they're sculpting and painting them just isn't getting that. His mouth area is another spot that could benefit from more expression as well. Rocky ought to look out to kick someone's *** and this portrait really feels like the sculptor had to give everything they had to make sure it looked like Stallone and couldn't take it any further to capture the character of Rocky. It's surprising because there've been a number of expressive and excellent sculpts in this line but they've been Rocky's opponents.

Overally great figure, great representation and great value for your money.

That would help Snoop with his decision.I compared my BD Rocky 2 with Neca Rocky 1 this morning which has a little wider head than Rocky iv so the size difference between a jakks and neca was not as much.

Oh,my Series 3 will be here tomorrow!

Back