NECA: Predator Movie Franchise Figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are the things I like/ dislike about this new UJH:

First pros

- Better netting (and I can't emphasize that enough);
- (way) better articulations;
- opening computer lid;
- painted digits on the arm comp;
- bit nicer black dry-brushing over the metal-like elements (not general weathering);
- warmer tone for lighter parts;
- a pair of extra hands (really useful);
- fixed the wider hips (see series 8 or v2 elder in comparison);
- separate mask;
- muzzle flash (don't really care but I know many do);
- deluxe packaging (yeah, I can finally collect these);
- two interchangeable heads;
- more defined skin pattern (not necessarily improved general appearance);
- the presence of a backdrop inside the box (useful for toy photography).

And the cons:

- High color contrast (they went for details, but it ain't working for me);
- large color areas covered in the same tones (the main cause for the accentuated contrast), especially that vanilla and black;
- almost no color transitions (I really loved the gradients on the former classic, not series 8);
- nasty blast marks (they look like those unicellular organisms I used to study in biology class);
- one big mold flow on its back (looks like it's been chewed), no one seemed the have noticed;
- weathering is applied unevenly, very few traces on the mask (I preferred the shinier, darker previous look);
- the tubes won't stay in place with slightest movement;
- they should've included one open mouth, one closed (tighter mandibles to allow mask attachment) and of course the mask, to go with the later;
- paint on the unmasked head too simplistic (again no color blending);
- same for its feet (making them look even bigger);
- sloppy paint on the beads;
- that maroon color on the loincloth is way too light and gives the impression of translucency towards the back;
- improving the hip width compromised the back and forth leg movement;
- inadequate clear coat used (interacting with under layer), it reminds me of the disastrous paint job on Kane;
- hit or miss occurrence with the eyes (not more than usual though);
- seam line on the helmet (wasn't visible on the Scout Pred, although the same mold);
- no mesh on the visor.

So yeah, lots of good things and bad things to say about this long awaited figure release. Is it worth buying? Of course it is. But, after so many attempts to improve this old design, I honestly expected more from them. This isn't the holy grail we all wished for.

Here are the things I like/ dislike about this new UJH:

First pros

- Better netting (and I can't emphasize that enough);
- (way) better articulations;
- opening computer lid;
- painted digits on the arm comp;
- bit nicer black dry-brushing over the metal-like elements (not general weathering);
- warmer tone for lighter parts;
- a pair of extra hands (really useful);
- fixed the wider hips (see series 8 or v2 elder in comparison);
- separate mask;
- muzzle flash (don't really care but I know many do);
- deluxe packaging (yeah, I can finally collect these);
- two interchangeable heads;
- more defined skin pattern (not necessarily improved general appearance);
- the presence of a backdrop inside the box (useful for toy photography).

And the cons:

- High color contrast (they went for details, but it ain't working for me);
- large color areas covered in the same tones (the main cause for the accentuated contrast), especially that vanilla and black;
- almost no color transitions (I really loved the gradients on the former classic, not series 8);
- nasty blast marks (they look like those unicellular organisms I used to study in biology class);
- one big mold flow on its back (looks like it's been chewed), no one seemed the have noticed;
- weathering is applied unevenly, very few traces on the mask (I preferred the shinier, darker previous look);
- the tubes won't stay in place with slightest movement;
- they should've included one open mouth, one closed (tighter mandibles to allow mask attachment) and of course the mask, to go with the later;
- paint on the unmasked head too simplistic (again no color blending);
- same for its feet (making them look even bigger);
- sloppy paint on the beads;
- that maroon color on the loincloth is way too light and gives the impression of translucency towards the back;
- improving the hip width compromised the back and forth leg movement;
- inadequate clear coat used (interacting with under layer), it reminds me of the disastrous paint job on Kane;
- hit and miss occurrence with the eyes (not more than usual though);
- seam line on the helmet (wasn't visible on the Scout Pred, although the same mold);
- no mesh on the visor.

So yeah, lots of good things and bad things to say about this long awaited figure release. Is it worth buying? Of course it is. But, after so many attempts to improve this old design, I honestly expected more from them. This isn't the holy grail we all wished for.
far better than the City Hunter. Inaccurate paint job and crappy QC kind of held back the accessories and articulation.

I've not seen anyone mention that the inner part of the bottom mandibles are the wrong color.

far better than the City Hunter. Inaccurate paint job and crappy QC kind of held back the accessories and articulation.

I have to disagree with you on the UCH. The unmasked head paint and the netting suffered a vast improvement, the armor too. They got lazy painting the feet properly and the older masked head (series 7) was better, but that's about it. I thought the general look was more vibrant and defined overall. They could've spent more time on box art, but it was decent enough.

I have to disagree with you on the UCH. The unmasked head paint and the netting suffered a vast improvement, the armor too. They got lazy painting the feet properly and the older masked head (series 7) was better, but that's about it. I thought the general look was more vibrant and defined overall. They could've spent more time on box art, but it was decent enough.
for starters the armor was wayyy to blue to the point where it looked bad. While the unmasked head was much better overall, it still didnt look nearly as good as the quarter scale version which was what I was hoping for. They should have painted it like the Hiya toys City Hunter if they wanted to improve the paint job on the body. The City hunter didn't need a vibrant paint job becaue he isn't a vibrant predator. Outside the netting, I feel the previous two masked City Hunters were more accurate.

for starters the armor was wayyy to blue to the point where it looked bad.

I thought so too in the beginning. I prefer the more turquoise look, closer to actual copper oxidation color, but I got used to it. I also appreciate a more darker predator look IF done properly. In this case I'm glad they didn't throw too much black on it.

Scout Predator is a different head sculpt it has a seperate mask that is glued onto the head. All the Jungle Hunters used the same 1 piece mold that doesn't allow much detail to be applied. I begged Randy on Twitter over the last few years to switch the head sculpt to the better looking 2 piece head like Scout & Big Red when they did Ultimate JH.

I just ordered my Jungle Hunter, hopefully the stars have aligned and I'll get one with good paint apps and no QC issues. :pray:

Same here, but I won't find out until my loot ships, one of my City Hunters had a ****** shoulder canon and loin cloth, apparently these have better QC :pray: I hope all of mine come out flawless.

Apparently this is the stock paint job for the Jungle Hunter, It looks fantastic.

FEPek9l.jpg

Same here, but I won't find out until my loot ships, one of my City Hunters had a ****** shoulder canon and loin cloth, apparently these have better QC :pray: I hope all of mine come out flawless.

Apparently this is the stock paint job for the Jungle Hunter, It looks fantastic.

FEPek9l.jpg

That paint job on the City Hunter looks much better than the one I have, I've thought about trying to get another one but I don't know if it would be worth it.

Back